"No space left on device"

J.R.

I can not seem to create further shares on my unRAID 6 server.

This is the message unRAID is giving me:

mkdir: cannot create directory "/mnt/user/Public' : No space left on device

There is 787GB free on one drive and 1.27TB free on the other. So I don't know why unRAID thinks there's no space or how to correct that (which is obviously causing the issue with creating new shares).

Here is my syslog:

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=35553.0;attach=24136

PLEASE, any help with solving this would be GREATLY appreciated.

Not sure.  Myself and others were taking a stab at this the other day in another thread of yours. 

I guess as a work around you could always create a folder on the root of one of the drives.  When you reset it should show up as a new share, and you can modify the split levels, etc for it.

Come to think of it, in another thread you participated in for a similar issue, another user stated that a reboot fixed the issue for him...  Have you tried that yet?

This syslog says

Feb  1 15:06:22 tower emhttp: shcmd (211): mkdir "/mnt/user/Public Share"
Feb  1 15:06:22 tower shfs/user: shfs_mkdir: assign_disk: Public Share (28) No space left on device

which is not exactly the same as the error you are reporting. Since it is a couple of days old maybe you have already tried not naming the share with a space like "Public Share" and now you are trying to just name it "Public". I have a share named "Public" so that should be OK.

Where exactly are you seeing the error you are reporting?

Don't know what your free space settings are. That one drive does seem to have not much room. Have you tried moving some of it?

Also, I don't see anything about possible flash drive corruption in this syslog, but since it is not current I don't know if this could be or not. unRAID must be able to write to the flash to save any changes you make in the GUI. You might try putting your flash in your PC and letting it check disk.

Sort of grasping at straws here since the reason I didn't respond in your other thread is because I didn't see anything obvious in the syslog.

Only a folder in the root directory of a drive is considered a share.

Is the flash drive writeable?  (unRaid stores a config file there)

As another workaround I suppose you could always copy one of the existing share.cfg files on the flashdrive (/flash/config/shares) rename it, and modify the contents for your own purposes.

But when I was checking out your syslog nothing jumped out at me as to what the problem is.  I do KNOW that unRaid 6B12 has zero problems creating shares on my system.

This syslog says

Feb  1 15:06:22 tower emhttp: shcmd (211): mkdir "/mnt/user/Public Share"
Feb  1 15:06:22 tower shfs/user: shfs_mkdir: assign_disk: Public Share (28) No space left on device

which is not exactly the same as the error you are reporting. Since it is a couple of days old maybe you have already tried not naming the share with a space like "Public Share" and now you are trying to just name it "Public". I have a share named "Public" so that should be OK.

Where exactly are you seeing the error you are reporting?

Don't know what your free space settings are. That one drive does seem to have not much room. Have you tried moving some of it?

Also, I don't see anything about possible flash drive corruption in this syslog, but since it is not current I don't know if this could be or not. unRAID must be able to write to the flash to save any changes you make in the GUI. You might try putting your flash in your PC and letting it check disk.

Sort of grasping at straws here since the reason I didn't respond in your other thread is because I didn't see anything obvious in the syslog.

Yes, I tried just naming it "Public". Same error message as when I tried to name it "Public Share".

I'm seeing that message on the monitor run directly from the server.

I have free space set at 15GB. I'm also trying to create the share on the drive with 1.2TB of space so I can't see how that's the problem (nor 787GB free on the other).

It's the same issue/error from a few days ago, so I doubt it's the flash drive but I can check that when I get home.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only other thing I can think of trying is to remove everything back off the second drive to the first, reboot and see if I can create a new directory on second drive.

A lot of hours of file moving though...I hope it actually accomplishes something :-[

(as an aside, your original thread where trurl and I were helping you out on this is marked as SOLVED, which may explain why other people didn't bother checking it out.)

Wasn't my thread. I was trying not to clutter the board by making an unnecessary thread for a topic that already existed but here we are...

Only a folder in the root directory of a drive is considered a share.

Is the flash drive writeable?  (unRaid stores a config file there)

As another workaround I suppose you could always copy one of the existing share.cfg files on the flashdrive (/flash/config/shares) rename it, and modify the contents for your own purposes.

But when I was checking out your syslog nothing jumped out at me as to what the problem is.  I do KNOW that unRaid 6B12 has zero problems creating shares on my system.

I set up the Flash drive as per instructions, can't see why it wouldn't be or why that would have changed but I can check.

I'll try copying one of the share files as suggested as well.

...Don't know what your free space settings are. That one drive does seem to have not much room. Have you tried moving some of it?...
...I have free space set at 15GB. I'm also trying to create the share on the drive with 1.2TB of space so I can't see how that's the problem (nor 787GB free on the other)...The only other thing I can think of trying is to remove everything back off the second drive to the first, reboot and see if I can create a new directory on second drive.

A lot of hours of file moving though...I hope it actually accomplishes something :-[

The reason I brought up free space is because the OP said
There is 787GB free on one drive and 1.27GB free on the other. So I don't know why unRAID thinks there's no space or how to correct that (which is obviously causing the issue with creating new shares).

Tried this, copied my existing "Media.cfg" share and renamed it "Public.cfg", rebooted server and the new share is still not showing up, just "media" still. I'm absolutely baffled, I though for sure that would HAVE to work.

I'm going to try shifting all my data back on to one disk, clearing the second disk and seeing if that somehow fixes the problem...beyond that I just don't know what to do? Fresh install of unRAID? Is that easy enough to do without losing data from the array? It just seems odd to me that everything else seems to be working but this!

So I moved everything off the 2nd disk and still getting the same "no space left on the device" error.

Anyone have any brilliant suggestions before I do a fresh install of unRAID? (Gordie help me if I run in to this problem again on the fresh install!).

Anything I need to know to do a reinstall?

Well holy flying @#$%! As a last ditch effort, I tried not specifying an "included disk" and leaving it at the default "all"...and lo and behold *poof * it created the share!!

Now how the hell do I manually organize the the shares on to separate disks to more evenly distribute the data across drives? Is this a limitation of the unregistered version? I'm planning on upgrading to Plus (and adding two more data drives and a cache drive) but was hoping get all the data sorted and situated BEFORE upgrading (Get the basic functionality working first THEN add the bells and whistles.)

Yes but as I've posted before, I want to manually allocate which data is on which disk. I don't want unRAID to do it.

What if you don't want to wait for unRAID to create them? I've got mine set to "manual" and was hoping to setup as follows:

j7w1dy.jpg

I want those folders all on disk 2 as that's the "important" content I'd like to back up and it should help divide the data fairly evenly between disks. It also means that only disk 2 needs to spin up for backup.

So how do I do that...?

Currently, it seems unRAID won't let me manually manage my data and create shares specific to or shared with drives at my discretion.

Ugghhh... Well now I've actually manged to create the "Public Data" folder and I've set it to exclude the 1st disk so that the data moves to the disk I want and now it's telling me there's not enough space on an empty 2TB drive for 80GB of files.

Archived