First time setup - cannot install screen

JMO

Hi,

I have been going through the process of setting up my first unraid server and I have hit an early road block.

I am trying to preclear my parity drive and cannot get past the point in the wiki: http://lime-technology.com/wiki/index.php/Configuration_Tutorial#Install_Screen

Where the wiki decsribes, "Step 3 At the top of the screen select Pkg Manager." I have no such option (Version: 6.0 beta9).

I click "Extensions" and get the option to install an extension via url. However, for life of me, I cannot find a URL that will facilitate the installation of Screen.

Any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

I am happy to follow instructions, but please keep in mind i am very new to the world of telnet, linux, unraid, etc...

Thanks for your time.

System Information

UnRAID Version: 6.0 beta9.

UnRAID License: unRAID Server Pro

Motherboard: ASRock - E3C226D2I

CPU: Intel® Xeon® CPU E3-1241 v3 @ 3.50GHz

Speed: 3.5 GHz

Cache: 256 kB, 1024 kB, 8192 kB

Memory: 8192 MB (max. 16 GB)

Network: eth0: 1000Mb/s - Full Duplex

Kernel: Linux 3.16.2-unRAID x86_64

OpenSSL: 1.0.1i

An alternative way to install screen without using unMenu is to get the 'utempter' (utempter-1.1.5-x86_64-1.txz) and 'screen' (screen-4.0.3-x86_64-4.txz) packages from here.  Make sure you get the versions for 64-bit slackware.  These should then be put on the flash drive so they are available for install.

The pacakages can either be installed manually by running a command of the form:

installpkg package_filename

or by putting them into the folder 'extra' on the flash drive (creating the folder if it does not exist) and rebooting the system.  The latter approach will cause them to be reloaded each time the system is booted.

An alternative way to install screen without using unMenu is

That's awesome. Thank you. I will check it out tomorrow.

Just to be clear though, these packages require the USB to be pulled from the server, updated and then stuck back in?

Is this a common theme?

I'll let you know how I go.

Just to be clear though, these packages require the USB to be pulled from the server, updated and then stuck back in?

Is this a common theme?

No - you can update the flash over the network.  The flash drive is exposed as the 'Flash' share (unless you have disabled this via the unRAID GUI in the SMB Security settings for the boot device).

Or ... alternately someone with the knowledge, of which there are many, could update the wiki. Its way out of date and caused me the exact same problem a couple of months ago. It only serves to confuse inexperieced first time users not help them.

I have added a section to the Wiki article referenced on installing screen without using unMenu.  Hopefully it is clear enough for novice users?

Why are you installing beta9?  beta12 is current.

I got the install from a friend who had initially purchased a two-pack some time ago. I gave him my flash drive and this is what I got back. It's been sitting in my bookshelf for a fair while, so it most likely used to be the most current release.

Or ... alternately someone with the knowledge, of which there are many, could update the wiki. Its way out of date and caused me the exact same problem a couple of months ago. It only serves to confuse inexperieced first time users not help them.

I have added a section to the Wiki article referenced on installing screen without using unMenu.  Hopefully it is clear enough for novice users?

I may very well be able to give you some feedback very shortly...

While I'm never actually done it, wouldn't it be far easier to just install the CLI Tools plugin as I referenced above?  copy and paste and everything's done.  v6 only though

This sounds appealing. I have limited time this evening. Actually, I have limited time until Sunday, the excitement to get stuck into this is driving me to distraction, gonna get done what I can and will post back with feedback/results.

Thanks for all the advice gang.

...Is it normal for the Parity disk to be displayed as invalid during parity-sync?
Yes

Thanks for the confirmation.

So, next question(s):

I have installed SNAP as I am of a mind to run an msata drive outside my array to host other applications (NB. this will NOT be a cache drive).

I'm just testing at moment with a spare SSD, but there is a couple of things that I cannot puzzle out.

1. I have mounted the SSD in SNAP, but have no idea how to format it, or even what the optimal format is for a drive outside the array.

2. When I go to install an plugin, PMS for example, I am not sure how i reference the SSD.

The PMS defaults are:

Install Directory: /usr/local/Plexmediaserver

Config / Library directory: /usr/local/Plexmediaserver/config

Transcode directory: /tmp/Plexmediaserver

These are clearly not where I want to install, but how do I point to the SSD?

On a side issue, every time I leave the "Installed Plugins" page and come back to it, the Status of my Plugins reverts to "unknown". A check for updates will correct the status, it will even persist through a page refresh, but once I leave that page...

Normal?

I don't mind doing some reading and working my way through these issues, the problem is that so much of the information i am finding is very much out of date and no longer applicable, or is so incomplete that it serves little use as a guide.

Thank God for good forum communities ;)

On a side issue, every time I leave the "Installed Plugins" page and come back to it, the Status of my Plugins reverts to "unknown". A check for updates will correct the status, it will even persist through a page refresh, but once I leave that page...

Normal?

Yes.

But, once you have the webGUI update installed (2015.01.21) and the bugfix for it (http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=36527.msg349680#msg349680), then its not even necessary to check for updates.  With properly configured email notifications, you will get an email when an update for plugins are available.

...Is it normal for the Parity disk to be displayed as invalid during parity-sync?
Yes

Thanks for the confirmation.

So, next question(s):

I have installed SNAP as I am of a mind to run an msata drive outside my array to host other applications (NB. this will NOT be a cache drive).

I'm just testing at moment with a spare SSD, but there is a couple of things that I cannot puzzle out.

1. I have mounted the SSD in SNAP, but have no idea how to format it, or even what the optimal format is for a drive outside the array.

2. When I go to install an plugin, PMS for example, I am not sure how i reference the SSD.

First decision is what filesystem you want to use on the SSD. I suggest XFS or BTRFS. The easiest way to format a disk IMO is to temporarily install it as the cache disk. Choose your FS. Start the array. It will show unformatted. Format it. Stop the array. Put your actual cache back. Reset the FS to whatever your cache is formatted with (e.g., Reiserfs) and start the array again. SNAP can mount the disk outside the array. You can set up a custom Samba share to easily access the disk over the network (SNAP may do this for you, not sure as I never used it).

^ Sound advice. Certainly got me over the line. Btrfs SSD is performing nicely. It has just been unfortunate that after getting to know how it is all setup,I have been unable to get my PCIe msata adapter to be recognised. But that's a topic for another thread :)

Thanks all.

Archived