[Feature Request] Audible Warnings on Certain Notifications

Squid

For certain notifications (I'm thinking array operating in a degraded state, or over heated), it would be nice to also have the system speaker also beep, in addition to browser / email alerts.

For overheated disks, maybe once every minute (configurable)

For degraded state (redball), maybe once every hour (configurable)

Given that many servers aren't located where the clients are;  and in fact often don't have keyboard/mouse/monitor's connected, I don't see much advantage to this.

It's easy to set your e-mail client to "beep" when you get e-mails;  and in fact many allow you to set high-priority messages to use a more audible tone.  You could simply set a filter for messages from your server so they were treated as the highest priority.

Given that many servers aren't located where the clients are;  and in fact often don't have keyboard/mouse/monitor's connected, I don't see much advantage to this.

It's easy to set your e-mail client to "beep" when you get e-mails;  and in fact many allow you to set high-priority messages to use a more audible tone.  You could simply set a filter for messages from your server so they were treated as the highest priority.

I already do that.  However, like many people, my primary form of communication is either text or facebook messaging, I don't always check my email my home email account, and try to avoid looking at my phone for my work email on weekends.

That being said, email servers can and do go down, and if a drive happened to be overheating I would want every opportunity to know about it (or a family member)

My servers are in a separate room and I am able to hear the system beeps in my home theater (albeit softly)

I can always write a script to accomplish the same thing, but I wouldn't think it would take all that much effort to add into the main code to merely beep under certain circumstances.

There is a notifications archive, which lists all notifications together, it can be sorted on date (default), title or importance.

Storage is done in volatile memory but can be changed to disk, if desired.

Yeah, I know.

But, I banged together this: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=38185.0 to alleviate what I see as some shortcomings in the notification system

Archived