agw

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm curious...

Are most people using crashplan to backup their unraid to the cloud doing so with quite a few TB of data? I'm just wondering how the Crashplan people would react knowing some people were pushing 7-8 (10-15?) TB of data over the wire to their servers.. Is unlimited really unlimited?

I'm curious...

Are most people using crashplan to backup their unraid to the cloud doing so with quite a few TB of data? I'm just wondering how the Crashplan people would react knowing some people were pushing 7-8 (10-15?) TB of data over the wire to their servers.. Is unlimited really unlimited?

I think most of us are only backing up personal photos, home movies, and documents to Crashplan.  I personally have over 70GB in their cloud and have not heard a peep from them about too much usage.  I'm sure others on here have much more.  Even with my large pipe, it took half a day to push all that data on the initial seed.  Moving 20TB up there would take months.

What are people backing up? I save all my files/documents/favorites, things like that to my unRAID server. Besides the operating system and customizations what needs or should be backed u

The reason you should backup to an offsite location is to prevent data loss in the event you have a devastation that destroys everything you have locally (your server, your backups, etc).

I saw this in my \usr\local\crashplan\conf\my.service.xml:

<cachePath>/usr/local/crashplan/cache</cachePath>
      <manifestPath>/usr/local/crashplan/backupArchives/</manifestPath>

Is this where the destimation should be located?

Nevermind...

Didn't realize you could setup/change destination through the client gui.  All good now.

Nevermind...

Didn't realize you could setup/change destination through the client gui.  All good now.

So was the problem that backups were writing into the ram disk?

Nevermind...

Didn't realize you could setup/change destination through the client gui.  All good now.

So was the problem that backups were writing into the ram disk?

Yes

It would be nice to have 2 GUIs at the same time, 1 for local PC and 1 for unraid.

Yes

Thanks for letting us know - it might help someone else who has the same problem!

It would be nice to have 2 GUIs at the same time, 1 for local PC and 1 for unraid.

After installing crashplan on  my windows machine, I simple copied the install folder in program file elsewhere and edited the configs appropriately.

Now the original crashplan installation points to and manages my windows machine, whilst the copy I made is configured to manage unraid. I just run whichever one is appropriate.

They both seem to keep in step with updates etc - I've had no problems so far!

Yes

Thanks for letting us know - it might help someone else who has the same problem!

After installing crashplan on  my windows machine, I simple copied the install folder in program file elsewhere and edited the configs appropriately.

Now the original crashplan installation points to and manages my windows machine, whilst the copy I made is configured to manage unraid. I just run whichever one is appropriate.

They both seem to keep in step with updates etc - I've had no problems so far!

Thanks for letting us know that.  It will probably help out someone else besides me.  I'm a Windows guy and I would have never thought it would have been that easy, with registry settings, etc.  Guess I'm just getting too lazy in my old age.  Thanks for responding.

I'm curious...

I back up parts of my unRAID server to the cloud, but backing up that much data would be pointless, and take an extremely long amount of time.

Whilst I have particular distaste of the 'cloud' marketing buzzword it should probably be pointed out that crashplan central is, as far as I can tell, as un-cloudy as a clear sunny day.

You're assigned a server and that's what you connect to and backup to. If your particular server goes down (with problems or for maintenance..and both happen) then you don't get to backup.

So no, as far as I can tell, clustering or load balancing.

I suspect the cloud bit of it is they can shuffle your data to a different server if need be depending on disk space  requirements but that's stretching it a bit. Why you can't just connect to central.crashplan.com and be batted about behind the scenes...

I was going to use crashplan to backup my laptop to unraid, then backup those same files to the 'cloud' via crashplan.  Will this work since those files are already encrypted (going from my laptop to unraid)?

I do this and it works just fine.  I have restored a few files from my unRAID server that were once on the laptop.  I don't think I have gone 2 levels deep but It should work.

I was going to use crashplan to backup my laptop to unraid, then backup those same files to the 'cloud' via crashplan.  Will this work since those files are already encrypted (going from my laptop to unraid)?

I would use some other means to get your data from laptop to unraid.... it's a bit messy that way....

I do this and it works just fine.  I have restored a few files from my unRAID server that were once on the laptop.  I don't think I have gone 2 levels deep but It should work.

So you haven't restored those (I guess double encrypted files) yet from the 'cloud'?

I would use some other means to get your data from laptop to unraid.... it's a bit messy that way....

I agree it is kind of messy - but if it works, then I'm good.  Might have to try it out.  I like the crashplan interface, setup, ease of use, etc.  However, the goal would have to be to restore files to my laptop from the 'cloud' without having to have unraid involved.  And also without the laptop backing directly up to the 'cloud'.  I would then have a nearly perfect (in my mind) backup plan.

I agree it is kind of messy - but if it works, then I'm good.  Might have to try it out.  I like the crashplan interface, setup, ease of use, etc.  However, the goal would have to be to restore files to my laptop from the 'cloud' without having to have unraid involved.  And also without the laptop backing directly up to the 'cloud'.  I would then have a nearly perfect (in my mind) backup plan.

I do not think you will be able to do it this way.  The way you are describing it is that you want unRAID to backup to the cloud and not the Laptop directly, which you can do, but then you want to access the Laptop Data as if it was the computer that backed it up.  I am fairly certain that because of the double encryption that this will not work.

I do not think you will be able to do it this way.  The way you are describing it is that you want unRAID to backup to the cloud and not the Laptop directly, which you can do, but then you want to access the Laptop Data as if it was the computer that backed it up.  I am fairly certain that because of the double encryption that this will not work.

I see.  Based on how I worded it you thought I was using Crashplan to back up my laptop to unraid and then the cloud.  This is how you do it, right?