CrashPlan

agw

I do not think you will be able to do it this way.  The way you are describing it is that you want unRAID to backup to the cloud and not the Laptop directly, which you can do, but then you want to access the Laptop Data as if it was the computer that backed it up.  I am fairly certain that because of the double encryption that this will not work.

I see.  Based on how I worded it you thought I was using Crashplan to back up my laptop to unraid and then the cloud.  This is how you do it, right?

I backup my laptop to my Server but ALSO to the cloud.  I can access the copy on my server, or the copy in the cloud at any point in time.  The reason I do it this way is so that If I have to take the unRAID server down for any extended period of time I am still backing up my Laptop.

• Replies 533
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm curious...

Are most people using crashplan to backup their unraid to the cloud doing so with quite a few TB of data? I'm just wondering how the Crashplan people would react knowing some people were pushing 7-8 (10-15?) TB of data over the wire to their servers.. Is unlimited really unlimited?

I think most of us are only backing up personal photos, home movies, and documents to Crashplan.  I personally have over 70GB in their cloud and have not heard a peep from them about too much usage.  I'm sure others on here have much more.  Even with my large pipe, it took half a day to push all that data on the initial seed.  Moving 20TB up there would take months.

I wrote to them and they say unlimited is truly unlimited.  I told them I had 40TB of data (which I don't, but I do have the capacity) and they said bring it (though it may take a year to upload all of it).

I back up my personal laptop, parents computer, and sisters computer individually to there cloud and to my server.  I also backup the directory that contains the above backups, along with a photos directory and one I use for work/business related documents.

That probably is nearing 500ish GB or so.

Looking for a bit of guidance please. VERY new to Linux and trying to get to grips with it all:

Im at this point:

"- You should be prompted for your password so enter the root password and your tunnel should now be opened. "

But my root password is not being accepted...

tower login: ssh -N -p 22 root@tower -L 4200/localhost/4243

Password:

Login incorrect

The only part I have also unsure about is in the 'go' script, I have put in ssh_host_key in place of the ssh*key* which is in the instructions post.

But im pretty sure that ssh_host_key would have been written if it was this simple, am I actually meant to be placing one of the keys that was generated? If so which one as I have host,rsa,dsa.

Apologies if these are very amateur questions, help appreciated.

Looking for a bit of guidance please. VERY new to Linux and trying to get to grips with it all:

I am guessing that your root account has no password... mine does not either. I found out that you cannot ssh with a blank password. If this is the case, do a normal telnet (not ssh) into unRAID and create a user for yourself using this:

useradd -d /home/yourusername -s /bin/bash -G root -c "Your Name" yourusername

passwd yourusername

mkdir /home/yourusername

--

Now you will be able to ssh using your new account of yourusername

I found out that you cannot ssh with a blank password.

This is absolutely correct.  Beyond that, it is poor practice to leave your root login wide open without a password.  Limetech made the decision to not install a password by default to make setup simpler.  This is a double-edged stance, as it simultaneously minimizes configuration issues, and significantly weakens security.

I am guessing that your root account has no password... mine does not either. I found out that you cannot ssh with a blank password. If this is the case, do a normal telnet (not ssh) into unRAID and create a user for yourself using this:

useradd -d /home/yourusername -s /bin/bash -G root -c "Your Name" yourusername

passwd yourusername

mkdir /home/yourusername

--

Now you will be able to ssh using your new account of yourusername

Thanks for getting back to me, that is correct about my root account having no password.

Just tried that and I can login to the new user normally, but as soon as I try and use the new user in this way ssh -N -p 22 martin@mmserver -L 4200/localhost/4243 , enter the password, it says Incorrect Password again.

Any other ideas?

Just tried that and I can login to the new user normally, but as soon as I try and use the new user in this way ssh -N -p 22 martin@mmserver -L 4200/localhost/4243 , enter the password, it says Incorrect Password again.

Any other ideas?

Can you try using the putty Windows client, and then on the Connection / SSH / Tunnels section, put in the values there

It works great for me

I have decided to give my 'root' user a password now, still got login issues.

1. I can login fine with the root user and root password normally, just not when using

ssh -N -p 22 martin@mmserver -L 4200/localhost/4243

2. When I login using Putty I have set the Connections>SSH>Tunnel to..

5409493039_f8e294b940_o.png

could it be because of the way I have done the following?

The only part I have also unsure about is in the 'go' script, I have put in ssh_host_key in place of the ssh*key* which is in the instructions post.

But im pretty sure that ssh_host_key would have been written if it was this simple, am I actually meant to be placing one of the keys that was generated? If so which one as I have host,rsa,dsa.

OR my 'go' script

# Install sshd

installpkg /boot/packages/openssl-0.9.8h-i486-3_slack12.1.tgz

installpkg /boot/packages/openssh-5.1p1-i486-1_slack12.1.tgz

cp --preserve=timestamps /boot/packages_custom/etc/ssh/ssh_host_key /etc/ssh

chmod 600 /etc/ssh/ssh_host_key

/etc/rc.d/rc.sshd start

My SSL package is slightly differnt version to the one used in the isntructions post as I could not find the correct one in the slackware reposirorys.

Thanks again

EDIT: Now fixed, thanks for help. I started from scratch following the guide and have got it to work.

I have this all setup and had no problems with the setup on page 3. I tried a backup and it started backing up to my unraid server so I looked at what I set the destination folder to (/mnt/disk6/crashplan) but there is nothing there. I checked my memory and it looks like it is draining...so I assume it is writing to memory.

I should see something in my Dest. folder while it is backing up...right?

I read that Boof just copied his crashplan Program Files folder and changed the configs to be able to use the UI in windows to adjust the unraid server. I don't know what files to tweak so I can manage my unraid install on my laptop.

Can someone help me with this or help me check to see what my destination folder is set to on unraid?

EDIT: Ok so I found my my.service.xml file on unraid and it does say:

<manifestPath>/usr/local/crashplan/backupArchives/</manifestPath>

So I found my problem...how can I fix it ;D

Thanks,

Scott

I don't know what files to tweak so I can manage my unraid install on my laptop.

Can someone help me with this or help me check to see what my destination folder is set to on unraid?

Reread Step 8 from Page 3.  It will point you exactly to the local config file you need to modify in order to connect remotely to your server's installation of Crashplan, specifically adding the following line to the config:

servicePort=4200

If you need to connect to your local installation of Crashplan, just take out the modified line.

Whichever Crashplan engine you're trying to configure, just make the necessary adjustments to the config file first, connect via SSH if going to the server, and then open the GUI.  From there you should be able to change whatever settings you want within Crashplan.

8.  Now we need to connect to the engine on your unraid server to add it to your account.

- go to you applications folder and right-click on the Crashplan application -> Show Packaged Contents -> Contents -> Resources -> Java -> conf

- edit the file ui.properties in textedit

- this is all commented out on my default mac install, don't worry about that.

- add the following to the bottom :

servicePort=4200

- This will point the client to this arbitrary port instead of the one running the crashplanengine on your actual mac machine (bear with me!).

- If you launch the Crashplan app now it will not connect and ask you if you would like to try again.  Hit no and quit CrashPlan

- now assuming you have done everything up until now correctly ding this next ssh redirection stuff should work just fine.

I have this all setup and had no problems with the setup on page 3. I tried a backup and it started backing up to my unraid server so I looked at what I set the destination folder to (/mnt/disk6/crashplan) but there is nothing there. I checked my memory and it looks like it is draining...so I assume it is writing to memory.

I should see something in my Dest. folder while it is backing up...right?

I read that Boof just copied his crashplan Program Files folder and changed the configs to be able to use the UI in windows to adjust the unraid server. I don't know what files to tweak so I can manage my unraid install on my laptop.

Thanks,

Scott

I had the same problem a few pages back.  You can make the destination change in the server crashplan gui by going here:

settings -> general -> 'inbound backup from other computers' -> enable -> default backup archive location

This worked great!!! Thanks.

I agree it's nice to have a UI version for the unraid server...so much easier  ;D

Does anyone know how this works on a laptop? Sometimes I may only be using my laptop for a few minutes and them close it (Standby). Will it start to do a backup and then resume once I turn it back on?

It would be nice if it was able to wake it in the iddle of the night and back it up and them put it back to sleep. I think WHS does this...but this is free ;D

Does anyone know how this works on a laptop? Sometimes I may only be using my laptop for a few minutes and them close it (Standby). Will it start to do a backup and then resume once I turn it back on?

It would be nice if it was able to wake it in the iddle of the night and back it up and them put it back to sleep. I think WHS does this...but this is free ;D

For the former point - yes I think it does. I also think it will kick off a backup immediately at boot if the laptop has been switched off and missed a backup schedule. I can't say for certain I can only give you anecdotal evidence that my OS X laptop is always fully backed up and I largely let crashplan hum along in the background unmolested.

I can't help with your second point. I'd suggest not as the crashplan client is the initiator of everything not the server. i.e the client pushes backups to the server. I suspect WHS pulls backups from the client?

I'm currently using this software on my PC's just backing up the cloud. When this is "installed" on the unraid server does it just make the unraid server as a backup for the currently installed software on your source PC's? I hope that question is understood, not even sure how to ask it. :)

It adds it to the list of PC's you can backup to. Does that make sense and did that answer your question?

Looks like alot of people here backup their various PC's to the Unraid server and then backup the Unraid server to the "cloud"

Hope that helps.

Looks like alot of people here backup their various PC's to the Unraid server and then backup the Unraid server to the "cloud"

Exactly.  This saves your internet pipe from having multiple machines trying to backup across the net, and also gives you a local backup on your server in the process.

and remember you can offsite your data yourself if you have crashplan running on a server somewhere else.

Not everyone will, but for those that do very very useful.

I do this and combined with crashplans offering gives me multiple offsites if need be.

I tried to get this working on a new server I built at work.  It is running on 5.0b3.  I setup CrashPlan just like I did at home (that is running 4.7).  When I ran the gui it connected to the engine and it asked for either a new account or log in to an existing one.  Either way, it would just sit there and spin, never moving any further.  Anyone know what caused this?  Its like it couldn't connect to their server.  I didn't have anymore time to mess with it before leaving.

Archived