Process Question on Upgrading to 6 from 4.7

DigitalDivide

SO just upgraded my mb, popped in a new larger parity drive, added two new drives, and installed 6 on my USB flash and booted up.  Not sure what the exact process is now.

All my disks are unassigned.  I assume I should go ahead and assign the data drives in the sequence they were in.  Then assign the parity drive.  Should I also assign the other two drives as well?  I would like to use one as a cache drive using that Mover thingy.

Once done I should start a parity check?

Hmm I noticed a message that says Stopped INvalid Configuration:  Too many attached devices. Please consider upgrading your registration key.

I have a 4.7 pro key.  I guess I have to upgrade or replace.  Sent Tom an email.

is your .key file in the config folder?

Ok, so I assigned all my drives.  They all have a blue mark next to them.  I'm a little hesitant to do anything now.  I'm afraid of losing all my data on my drives. I see that I can start the array and start a parity-sync.  My parity disk is a new blank one.  So, should I just go ahead and start the array?  As long as blue means it's not going to format the drives I'll be happy.  I also see something on another tab called New Config.  Not sure what to select at this point.

Start will record all disk information, bring the array on-line, and start Parity-Sync.

The array will be immediately available, but unprotected until Parity-Sync completes.

Parity is already valid.

Ok, so I assigned all my drives.  They all have a blue mark next to them.  I'm a little hesitant to do anything now.  I'm afraid of losing all my data on my drives. I see that I can start the array and start a parity-sync.  My parity disk is a new blank one.  So, should I just go ahead and start the array?  As long as blue means it's not going to format the drives I'll be happy.  I also see something on another tab called New Config.  Not sure what to select at this point.

Start will record all disk information, bring the array on-line, and start Parity-Sync.

The array will be immediately available, but unprotected until Parity-Sync completes.

Parity is already valid.

You should be good to go to start a parity sync if everything is blue.

I noticed that now that parity is running, in the parity column, the row for Faulty shows a yellow triangle.  Does that mean there's a problem?

Yes and no. It's letting you know that parity isn't built yet, so if you lose a drive, you will lose data. When the parity sync is done, the drive should go green.

Well the parity is almost done running.  Just curious what I should do next?  I believe I read something about permissions.  Should I run that next?  I read that it takes awhile which is fine.

Also I have a one other question.  I will be adding two more drives, one for data and one for cache.  When I put in the two new drives should I format them as xfs?  Not sure if I can have a mix of formats, some xfs and some rfs, or if I have to migrate them all once I do one drive.

Well the parity is almost done running.  Just curious what I should do next?  I believe I read something about permissions.  Should I run that next?  I read that it takes awhile which is fine.

Also I have a one other question.  I will be adding two more drives, one for data and one for cache.  When I put in the two new drives should I format them as xfs?  Not sure if I can have a mix of formats, some xfs and some rfs, or if I have to migrate them all once I do one drive.

You will have to run the new permissions script.  Just let it go and do not close the window that pops up.  Can take quite a while if you have many small files.

Yes you can mix and match the format of the drives.  unRaid will not care.  You should forego reiserFS for new drives and use XFS instead.

Also make sure that you have precleared those drives using the latest preclear script.  If you don't preclear them, then your entire array will be unavailable while unRaid clears them itself.

When you say next, what exactly do you mean?  I ran a parity check when I just installed the new parity drive.

that was not a parity check - it was the initial creation of the parity.    You should now run a check to ensure that the parity creation was error free ( it will find 0 errors if it was).

Archived