Posting, hijacking, splitting, locking, and irony

RobJ

And my apologies to everyone else!  I forgot to mention that all of the other posts aren't deleted, just moved to a separate thread, found here.  I felt it was best to split the thread, as Joe's needs were getting lost.

Thanks Rob. Any way we can visibly post a note instructing people to always make their own threads. People often make this mistake. If a person thinks that are having the same problem they can post cross-links between the threads. 99.9% of the time people are hijacking when they think they have the same problem and it's not helpful. Similar symptoms does not imply a common solution.

And my apologies to everyone else!  I forgot to mention that all of the other posts aren't deleted, just moved to a separate thread, found here.  I felt it was best to split the thread, as Joe's needs were getting lost.

Thanks Rob. Any way we can visibly post a note instructing people to always make their own threads. People often make this mistake. If a person thinks that are having the same problem they can post cross-links between the threads. 99.9% of the time people are hijacking when they think they have the same problem and it's not helpful. Similar symptoms does not imply a common solution.

I'm thinking maybe in the future with support we do just that and when an issue is solved, we lock the thread. Thoughts?

I'm thinking maybe in the future with support we do just that and when an issue is solved, we lock the thread. Thoughts?

This is not a bad idea. Then others can link to the old thread if needed in a new one. But how do we handle people interposing during an ongoing investigation?

This is not a bad idea. Then others can link to the old thread if needed in a new one. But how do we handle people interposing during an ongoing investigation?

Split the thread into a new post for the new issue.

This is a good idea. How can we make it happen less? People don't seem to understand that there is not cost to creating a thread. Each person should create a new thread every time they have an issue and link to other threads they feel may be pertinant. The diagnostic procedure is always similar but other threads are rarely helpful.

You all realize the extreme irony in hijacking this poor guy's support thread, right?

;D ;D ;D

This is a good idea. How can we make it happen less? People don't seem to understand that there is not cost to creating a thread. Each person should create a new thread every time they have an issue and link to other threads they feel may be pertinant. The diagnostic procedure is always similar but other threads are rarely helpful.

I was not my intent to hijack anyone's thread, since it looked like he was having the same issue I was. Apologies to him.

I know it wasn't, and nice of you to say so.  It's an easy thing to do when you recognize symptoms you're having too.  The key thing to remember is we're all trying to help the *original* poster.  And it's not wrong to post in someone else's thread, as it can be both affirming and confirming.  Affirming in that it helps the original poster know they aren't crazy, or at least someone else is just as crazy!  Confirming in that it helps us know it's not just an anomaly of their system.  It shouldn't be but problems always seem more serious if there's more than one person reporting it.

Completely agree!

I can add a note to the Need help? Read me first! post, but that's already rather long, too long for some to fully read.  Possibly another sticky ...  Any more ideas?  I separated this discussion out, and made the title a little more attention-getting, but from experience it won't help much.  Just look at the old 'include a syslog' problem.  With all the work we have done, invariably, new posters do not include a syslog!  How do we get these messages across to new users?

Locking is a good idea, and we should when it seems right, but I'm not sure how well it will work in practice.  We often don't know for sure when a thread is finished, especially when a helpers post is the last one.  It's always nice to see a 'thank you', or at least a confirmation that problem is fixed.  To some extent, marking first post as "[solved]" also performs a closing action.

We do need to do more of this.  Moderators?

On the other hand, if someone is having a problem with a plugin or docker, I think it is appropriate for them to post in the thread already started for that addon rather than starting a new thread. Of course there are going to be gray areas where it is not obvious to the user that the problem is an addon.

Archived