Merlyn support - unRAID Server Release 6.0.1-x86_64 Available

LONG time bug going on with my system.

100 percent repeatable.

Whenever i shutdown 100 percent of the time the server crashes with shutting down user shares.  I have let it go 10 hours plus and it will finally just crash all of the gui.  This occurs whenever i click to stop the array.  i have been able to shutdown with putty and typing in  shutdown -r now  (other options i am welcome to try)

system will come up with unclean shutdown and parity started which always shows no errors ( i have my system set to where i have to manually start array).

I have tried right after starting the array hitting the stop button and no dockers loaded (same result crashes)

80 percent of the time i have to completely delete plex docker and reboot (not even deleting and reinstalling will work) even if i shut it down before shutting down array.

so it goes without saying i never reboot.

my config

no user shares enabled (tried enabling user shares and setting all disks to exemption no change)

running two dockers plex (limetech version) and serviio.  all dockers are set to not autostart.

community plugin.

Tamsolutions server that so many of us bought in the day.

intel version 5130 intel cpu 8 gigs of ram

Motherboard: X7DBE-X

40 TB of storage PRO version of Unraid.

logs? tell me how and i will provide since the gui locks everytime i hit stop on array (been going on for years so long i forget what version of it happened in version 5)

100 percent repeatable.

Whenever i shutdown 100 percent of the time the server crashes with shutting down user shares.  I have let it go 10 hours plus and it will finally just crash all of the gui.  This occurs whenever i click to stop the array.  i have been able to shutdown with putty and typing in  shutdown -r now  (other options i am welcome to try)

system will come up with unclean shutdown and parity started which always shows no errors ( i have my system set to where i have to manually start array).

I have tried right after starting the array hitting the stop button and no dockers loaded (same result crashes)

80 percent of the time i have to completely delete plex docker and reboot (not even deleting and reinstalling will work) even if i shut it down before shutting down array.

my config

no user shares enabled (tried enabling user shares and setting all disks to exemption no change)

running two dockers plex (limetech version) and serviio.  all dockers are set to not autostart.

community plugin.

logs? tell me how and i will provide since the gui locks everytime i hit stop on array (been going on for years so long i forget what version of it happened in version 5)

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and post the results.

100 percent repeatable.

my config

community plugin.

Go to Tools - Diagnostics and post the results.

attached file as requested.  remember system is stable until i reboot then 100 percent failure stopping array.

when i downloaded this file no dockers loaded array started but not in active use.

merlyn

tower-diagnostics-20150703-1238.zip

just for fun rebooted with putty (no use trying gui 100% failure)

tried unraid  safe mode no plugins loaded option on boot.

once i started the array waited a minute then hit stop .  same thing retry unmounting user shares over and over again until GUI crashes hours later.  again everything is set to manual no dockers loaded.  reboot thru putty only option i know (willing to try other suggestions upon request)

been doing this before i even loaded plugins or dockers was hoping it would be fixed with 6 final guess not.

doing same thing with 6 beta (tried many versions).

ding similar in 5 but that was a long time ago.

merlyn

once i started the array waited a minute then hit stop .  same thing retry unmounting user shares over and over again until GUI crashes hours later.  again everything is set to manual no dockers loaded.  reboot thru putty only option i know (willing to try other suggestions upon request)

been doing this before i even loaded plugins or dockers was hoping it would be fixed with 6 final guess not.

merlyn

This has to be something specific to your hardware and not a bug. If this happened with every unraid server when rebooting i am sure there would be ALOT more posts about it.

what exactly do you have running for dockers/VMs/Plugins?  from the sounds of it you have a plugin or docker that is holding a share open. I can reproduce this by SSH into the server and doing something like cd /mnt/user/movies  and leave the terminal there and try to reboot unraid,  it will just sit there trying to unmount shares until i go back to the SSH terminal and get off /mnt/user  as soon as i type in cd  or  cd /boot,  it will stop the array without issue.

merlyn, I hope you don't mind, but this seemed like a support issue, not appropriate for the Announcement topic.

Just a quick question, in your first post you say you don't use User Shares (or they aren't enabled).  But elsewhere it appears they *are* enabled?

merlyn, I hope you don't mind, but this seemed like a support issue, not appropriate for the Announcement topic.

Just a quick question, in your first post you say you don't use User Shares (or they aren't enabled).  But elsewhere it appears they *are* enabled?

no i dont mind at all.

Typed a response in the other thread but never posted will put over here next.

users shares were always off turned on to test with all drives excluded. (no change still crashed)

but long story short seems to be a docker issue?

merlyn

merlyn

This has to be something specific to your hardware and not a bug. If this happened with every unraid server when rebooting i am sure there would be ALOT more posts about it.

what exactly do you have running for dockers/VMs/Plugins?  from the sounds of it you have a plugin or docker that is holding a share open. I can reproduce this by SSH into the server and doing something like cd /mnt/user/movies  and leave the terminal there and try to reboot unraid,  it will just sit there trying to unmount shares until i go back to the SSH terminal and get off /mnt/user  as soon as i type in cd  or  cd /boot,  it will stop the array without issue.

lost my last post in the move of topics.

Deleted all VMs (nothing was loaded just testing VMs) deleted all plugins (community plugin) deleted all dockers serviios and plex)

as scottc predicted it will now allow me to stop the array.

plex docker issue is the first thing to come to mind since it is the one that i have to rebuild all the time.

will update thread as i go thru adding things one at a time.

... (been going on for years so long i forget what version of it happened in version 5)

Dockers are only introduced in v6, hence my question how did you do the upgrade from v5 to v6?

been going on for years.

was on 5 then beta 6 multiple versions (with plex plugin) then 6 rc with plex docker no plugin.

so it is all revolving around plex as the problem since it is the common denominator.

Do you have any other machines on the network that connect to the server constantly?

On the dashboard page, are there any open streams showing?

no but excellent question ... have multiple roku 3 's connecting but not currently actively????? but will investigate

thanks

also  are you using a cache drive for your plex docker?  could be plex docker holding a drive open writing to log files or something

yes all dockers are installed to a cache disk (no user enabled so its pretty much a apps disk)  thinking i should go ssd since it is a old drive.

is Plex appdata folder installed on an array share/disk? If so it could be keeping the disk locked.

running off cache disk with no user shares enabled ... should i delete cache and just format it and make it a apps disk

I would not. I have my docker image and apps folders all on cache disk so the array can spin down all disk. Just cache stays awake.