jonp

Do you use spin up groups?

106 posts in this topic Last Reply

I've currently got 20 data drives connected to a SuperMicro BPN-SAS2-846EL SAS2 expander backplane, which is connected to 4 SAS ports on my Supermicro X10SL7-F Motherboard.  Parity & cache drive connected internally to mobo SATA ports.

I don't use spinup groups, but searching for spinup freezing got me here.  I've dabbled with running a user script across the evenings to spin up all drives between - say - 7 and 11pm.  This prevents freezing, but I'd rather not have all drives on without reason.

How do you go about identifying if/how drives are grouped?  Is it a case of setting off some activity and spinning up each drive one by one and checking for pausing, or is there a more logical approach?  Or am I being stupid and a SAS expander would have them all grouped regardless?

It only takes one person to spend most evenings tinkering with files and another starting a few things to decide what to watch, and the main media player can be chopped to bits.

I'd certainly use spin-up groups if I could identify if/how the drives grouped.  Unless there is a better way now.

9 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

How do you go about identifying if/how drives are grouped?

Settings - Disk Settings, Use Spin Up Groups

Then each individual drive from main, give it a named group (like "Movies", "TV", etc)

11 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

I don't use spinup groups, but searching for spinup freezing got me here.  I've dabbled with running a user script across the evenings to spin up all drives between - say - 7 and 11pm.  This prevents freezing, but I'd rather not have all drives on without reason.

Best solution is to increase the caching on the player(s).  Kodi you can easily do this.  Not sure about plex

1 minute ago, Squid said:

Settings - Disk Settings, Use Spin Up Groups

Then each individual drive from main, give it a named group (like "Movies", "TV", etc)

Sorry, I meant from a hardware controller perspective - eg, if disk4 spins up, disk1 will freeze but disk12 will not.

Thanks for the cache tip - I will do that, but in addition would like to solve/patch at source if poss.

2 minutes ago, Cessquill said:

I will do that, but in addition would like to solve/patch at source if poss.

You won't.  It's the hardware causing it.  It's pausing all I/O on other drives connected to the same controller waiting for the drive to spin up.  Extremely common issue, and zip you can do about it.

1 minute ago, Squid said:

You won't.  It's the hardware causing it.  It's pausing all I/O on other drives connected to the same controller waiting for the drive to spin up.  Extremely common issue, and zip you can do about it.

Ahh, OK, I was under the hope/impression from reading here that my drives might be h/w grouped within the system.  If the spin up of any one drive forces the system to freeze activity for all other drives then spinup groups aren't going to help me here.

Thanks for the advice.