ZFS plugin for unRAID

steini84

11 hours ago, wout4007 said:

hi i am new at zfs but have managed until this point. I have zfs pool set upand a mountpoint to an unraid shere but every time I restart the server my data disappears. but in the command line it stil says it is mounted at that location. 

can someone please help me

I don't know what method people are using to try and have Unraid's own array system mount ZFS shares, but I don't believe that is supported.

If you're happy to have an open share you can add something like this in /boot/config/smb-extra.conf

[sharename]
path = /mnt/poolname/dataset
comment = share comment
browseable = yes
public = yes
writeable = yes

(edit: ZFS support is coming to Unraid soon and presumably this will include creating shares in the GUI for ZFS pools/datasets)

Edited by jortan
On 2/28/2023 at 5:46 PM, wout4007 said:

yes it does. /mnt/disk1/pool_name

I would suggest mounting your ZFS pool elsewhere, ie. /mnt/poolname

/mnt/diskx is where Unraid mounts disks for the Unraid array.  Seems likely that is the problem?

Edited by jortan

Greetings, I'm a newbie to unRaid and wanted to try zfs with it. I used Spaceinvader One's guide as well as Linus' and Gamer's Nexus guide on YouTube to setup my server.  I thought it went well until I noticed that my data is being stored on disk 1 (the unraid array) and not my zfs pool.

When I copy files from my PC to the share on the server, the copied files are stored on the unraid array and not on the raidz pool.

My apologies if I get the zfs terminologies wrong... as I said, this is all new to me.

I'm stuck in a loop trying to figure this out but I some times I get tunnel vision and can't see the answer.

I guess what I'm trying to say is the user shares are not on the zfs pool.

I have attached my diagnostic file for your convenience.

Any help would be appreciated, thank you.

Best regards,

X

nas1-diagnostics-20230302-1205.zip

Edited by Xdj

Unfortunately, right now, there is no easy way to create shares on the pool; you have to deal with smb-extra.conf file; this situation should be solved on the upcoming 6.12 version; in the meantime these are my templates for pool shares (ssdnvme in this example)

Private Share

[example_private_share]
	path = /ssdnvme/example_private
	comment = My Private share
	browsable = yes
	guest ok = no
	writeable = yes
	write list = iker
	read only = no	
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	vfs objects = shadow_copy2
	shadow: snapdir = .zfs/snapshot
	shadow: sort = desc
	shadow: format = %Y-%m-%d-%H%M%S
	shadow: localtime =  yes
	shadow: snapdirseverywhere = yes

Private Hidden Share

[example_private_hidden]
	path = /ssdnvme/example_private_hidden
	comment = My Private info
	browsable = no
	guest ok = yes
	writeable = no
	write list = iker
	read only = yes
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775
	vfs objects = shadow_copy2
	shadow: snapdir = .zfs/snapshot
	shadow: sort = desc
	shadow: format = %Y-%m-%d-%H%M%S
	shadow: localtime =  yes

Public Share

[example_public_share]
	path = /ssdnvme/example_public
	comment = UnRaid related info
	browsable = yes
	guest ok = yes
	writeable = yes
    write list = iker
	read only = yes
	create mask = 0775
	directory mask = 0775

Best,

Edited by Iker
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info...

I'm just curious why in the video guides they don't mention the config file. Also, without sounding like a complete idiot; without the config file, how does one get their data on one's server?

This is what happens when you use Windows for 30 years! :(

The reason I'm asking is I'm trying to recover data from 16 drives that had a grey water shower when my septic tank back up and the data needs a new home. I'm building a second server to back up the first so I'm trying to figure out the best solution to protect 30+ years of photos and videos.

Cheers

3 hours ago, Xdj said:

I'm just curious why in the video guides they don't mention the config file.

I haven't watched any of the video guides, but this includes some explanation of what's going on in the above SMB (windows share) configuration examples:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/zfs-on-unraid-lets-do-it-bonus-shadowcopy-setup-guide-project/148764

3 hours ago, Xdj said:

I'm building a second server to back up the first so I'm trying to figure out the best solution to protect 30+ years of photos and videos.

One thing to consider is something like borg to backup your data offsite

https://www.borgbase.com/

Edited by jortan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
On 3/4/2023 at 1:57 AM, Xdj said:

I'm going to start over and try again with the new information!

ps: if you're still looking to build a second server for backups, probably the best option is sanoid to manage snapshots of your main ZFS pool, and syncoid to pull/replicate those snapshots on your backup server.

I have this setup so that on startup, my backup server will replicate snapshots from my main server, send an email summary and then shut itself down.

I was able to import my ZFS pools from Scale, which is awesome. Only question is what storage-driver is being used (i'm pointing docker directory and docker appdata at a NVME I have under ZFS). Typically I would edit the /etc/docker/daemon.json to make it look like this, however there's nothing in /etc. How does this work in Unraid, where is the daemon.json or equivalent? How do I set it to use overlay2?

image.png