SiS 191 gigabit ethernet support in Unraid 6?

redeye

Unraid 6 seems to think my SiS 191 chipset only supports 10/100 fast ethernet.

The system is an HP EX 475 that I recently switched over to Unraid.  It works, just without gigabit.  I know the hardware and cables are fine, because Windows Home Server had no such problem.  Even now, my gigabit switch blinks blue to indicate that the HP uses gigabit. :o

Is this a known issue, and what can be done?

• 2 years later...

I have this same question, and this thread is... unsatisfying. It prompts two questions:

1. What is the "proper forums" that will avoid a snarky non-answer?

2. Did this get solved in the intervening 2+ years, regardless of which other forum about hardware it didn't get posted to?

7 minutes ago, Karyudo said:

I have this same question, and this thread is... unsatisfying. It prompts two questions:

2. Did this get solved in the intervening 2+ years, regardless of which other forum about hardware it didn't get posted to?

Proper Forums in this day and age means the current Bug Reports sections, depending on which version you're running either Stable Releases or PreReleases. 

https://lime-technology.com/bug-reports/

3 hours ago, Karyudo said:

No snarky non-answer found in this thread.

And the problem could possibly have been solved - every new kernel introduces lots of bug fixes. One or more of these bug fixes could be related to the above mentioned hardware. Or there could potentially have been some hardware or configuration issues with the OP:s hardware.

Ha! Nicely done: another snarky answer, saying there are no snarky answers.... That's some legit snark-fu! Of course you're well aware that "Submit a defect issue in the proper forums" is a snarky non-answer. Especially when the OP asked a question about hardware compatibility in Hardware, and is really no further enlightened after reading the supposed answer. "Please post this in the appropriate Bug Reports section" would have been a legit non-snarky answer that's only one word longer. Still not all that enlightening, but at least it would have moved things forward by one step. It's essentially the answer I got yesterday, and I was happy enough to learn where to look next.

Kinda wish redeye were around to talk to, because I've got almost the exact hardware (HP EX 470 with SiS 191) and it'd be nice to know if the GbE is supported in unRAID before going through the rigmarole of memory upgrades, BIOS changes, OS install, and drive preclearing to find out for myself that it is or isn't.

See, now that was a snarky answer. Now you have one to measure other replies by.

Everyone here is a volunteer that freely gives their own time without any compensation. When someone replies with what the actual procedure is, that is mentioned in all the release threads and in several forum stickies or faq threads, do not take it as a snarky response. The free volunteers are extremely limited in time and merely post what they can when they can, so do not mistake direct and to the point responses for any sort of snark.

Good day.

1 hour ago, Karyudo said:

Kinda wish redeye were around to talk to, because I've got almost the exact hardware (HP EX 470 with SiS 191) and it'd be nice to know if the GbE is supported in unRAID before going through the rigmarole of memory upgrades, BIOS changes, OS install, and drive preclearing to find out for myself that it is or isn't.

Well, unRAID is a completely free download, so you can prep a USB stick, boot it up and see if GbE works or not BEFORE committing more resources to the trial. In fact if you do this now, and it doesn't work, you didn't even need to start the trial on the USB stick.

Ah, yes: the good ol' "we're all volunteers; our time is so precious" defense!

It's fine for the rest of us n00bs to waste *our* time, though, by fighting to parse crappy answers that could have been reasonable answers in the exact same amount of time and effort on the part of the experienced responder.

ken-ji, of course unRAID is completely free, yadda, yadda. It's the prep of the EX470/EX475 that's somewhat complicated (blind BIOS changes on a headless box, for example) that I'd like to avoid *BEFORE* the easy unRAID part.

BTW, for anyone coming here three years from now: I've found out through direct messages that as of right now, gigabit ethernet on the SiS 191 still does *not* seem to be supported in the current (v6.5, I guess?) version of unRAID. 10/100 still works fine.

23 minutes ago, Karyudo said:

Ah, yes: the good ol' "we're all volunteers; our time is so precious" defense!

It's fine for the rest of us n00bs to waste *our* time, though,

This comes across as, "I'm more important than you, it's on you to bow to my demands, because my time is more valuable than yours"

Not a good look.

11 hours ago, Karyudo said:

ken-ji, of course unRAID is completely free, yadda, yadda. It's the prep of the EX470/EX475 that's somewhat complicated (blind BIOS changes on a headless box, for example) that I'd like to avoid *BEFORE* the easy unRAID part.

I'm sorry. Didn't realize you were going to try something as complicated as setup unRAID on a video connector-less server.

I assumed that you had at least the debug cable, <sarcasm> why else would a n00b (you claimed it) be trying to setup unRAID headlessly.</sarcasm>

Please do realize that setting up an alternative OS on hardware that does not specifically support the OS (or have other mechanisms/use cases in place) is not something for the faint of heart..

Volunteer people can't help you if they don't have access to same HW (or even similar ones). They can only draw from the collective pool of experience and hopefully be able to give you enough pointers to help you fix the issue. Same with relatively small businesses (or understaffed ones).

I remember bricking a few routers before trying to reinstall the stock firmware after a very disappointing experience with DDWRT, now that was an experience in setting up an OS; had to find enought bits and bobs to build a usb2serial cable to attach to the debug pins of the router in question. A lot of people would have given up and gone out to buy a new router at this point.

It's good that you have found an answer according to the PMs that you got, but I'm sure no doubt you were contacted because either people saw your posts (or you contacted some of OPs you saw asking about this).

1 hour ago, Karyudo said:

Since I'm one of the only two people who added anything useful to this thread, I'd say yeah, it's now satisfying.

Thank you for recognizing my contribution.

But seriously, no one knows your hardware. Submit a request for the right drivers for the nic or something. Limetech can often include them in the next release, as long as it doesn't cause other issues. OR if your hardware has a usb port, get a usb3 to gigabit adapter. It will only run at 400ish mbps, but it's 4x faster than you are running now, and it's a 10 dollar enhancement.

Archived