DNS Server Docker request

zAdok

Hi All,

I have the need to run my own DNS server as my router only does forwarding meaning I cannot setup split DNS for the services I host on unRAID. I have found on docker hub that there are plenty of dockers available for it however they are all Ubuntu based. I'm sure there would be others wanting this.

Does anyone have DNSmasq running in a docker?

I would like to add to this request. I actually joined the forum today to make a request similar to what you are trying to do. I would like to request an unraid template be created for jwilder/nginx-proxy. I searched the forum and only found one member mention it but wasn't going to pm him about it. Using this docker image, you can setup your router to forward all inbound port 80/443 traffic from the web to the docker image. The docker image of nginx will read the URL and pass it to the corresponding server in its site list. The site list is dynamically regenerated as you spin up new docker application images such as plex/cp/sab/etc. To register a docker image with the proxy, you add the proper domain name(s) to the parameters of the docker image being launched. It also allows you to register multiple domain names, so you can setup plex.externaldomainname.com and plex.local pointing to the same server. Using this setup also allows you to spin up separate instances of the same application. One for external and one for internal.

To complete the circle for public access you setup cname entries on your domain name provider to all point to your dynamically updated address.

Nginx also supports multiple ssl certs, passwd protection, and more. You can also proxy all of Nginx through an application firewall (docker based) for all external trafffic.

I am still going to post this as a separate request in case this doesn't meet all of your needs. I would like to learn how to create the unraid templates, but this one seems complex with the way it binds to socks....

I would like to add to this request. I actually joined the forum today to make a request similar to what you are trying to do. I would like to request an unraid template be created for jwilder/nginx-proxy. I searched the forum and only found one member mention it but wasn't going to pm him about it. Using this docker image, you can setup your router to forward all inbound port 80/443 traffic from the web to the docker image. The docker image of nginx will read the URL and pass it to the corresponding server in its site list. The site list is dynamically regenerated as you spin up new docker application images such as plex/cp/sab/etc. To register a docker image with the proxy, you add the proper domain name(s) to the parameters of the docker image being launched. It also allows you to register multiple domain names, so you can setup plex.externaldomainname.com and plex.local pointing to the same server. Using this setup also allows you to spin up separate instances of the same application. One for external and one for internal.

To complete the circle for public access you setup cname entries on your domain name provider to all point to your dynamically updated address.

Nginx also supports multiple ssl certs, passwd protection, and more. You can also proxy all of Nginx through an application firewall (docker based) for all external trafffic.

I am still going to post this as a separate request in case this doesn't meet all of your needs. I would like to learn how to create the unraid templates, but this one seems complex with the way it binds to socks....

There's already an Nginx docker.

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=34009.0

Thank you for the response. I looked through the documentation and while it is an nginx proxy, the other one allows you to register subdomains on demand when docker files are started by adding the appropriate environmental variables to the docker. The other you sent requires you need to edit the config files by hand, unless I am missing something.

• 2 months later...

I was going to knock up a template for an excellent dnsserver that I found, but try this in the meantime:

docker pull sameersbn/bind:latest

docker run --name bind -d --restart=always --p 53:53/udp --p 10000:10000  --v /mnt/user/docker/appdata/bind:/data  sameersbn/bind:latest

Change your directory to suit for changes to persist. Webmin can be found on https://tower:10000

details here: http://www.damagehead.com/blog/2015/04/28/deploying-a-dns-server-using-docker/

I was going to knock up a template for an excellent dnsserver that I found, but try this in the meantime:

docker pull sameersbn/bind:latest

docker run --name bind -d --restart=always --p 53:53/udp --p 10000:10000  --v /mnt/user/docker/appdata/bind:/data  sameersbn/bind:latest

Change your directory to suit for changes to persist. Webmin can be found on https://tower:10000

details here: http://www.damagehead.com/blog/2015/04/28/deploying-a-dns-server-using-docker/

Yeah, I've messed around with that in the past, even made a template as well, can't remember why I got rid of it though....  ::)

• 2 weeks later...