[SOLVED]Unable to see Unraid server on my network after Win 10 upgrade

I've done some searching but have not found an answer.  Decided to go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 today.  However, My Unraid server no longer shows in "network" so I can transfer files.  What I don't get is all my other networked computers show just fine and I have access too.  The Unraid box however is not there.  Any suggestions?

Also, I can connect to my unraid server from the browser of my Win 10 pc, Just can't see any of the drives in the network.

I manually entered in the ip address of my servers and then pinned the explorer window to the quick links section.  I find it better than going through network as its less clicks

But, if i let windows sit on network for hours then it sometimes picks up the servers by itself.  Windows has (and probably always will be) terrible at picking up networked computers

I've done some searching but have not found an answer.  Decided to go ahead and upgrade to Windows 10 from 8.1 today.  However, My Unraid server no longer shows in "network" so I can transfer files.  What I don't get is all my other networked computers show just fine and I have access too.  The Unraid box however is not there.  Any suggestions?

Also, I can connect to my unraid server from the browser of my Win 10 pc, Just can't see any of the drives in the network.

Is your unRAID server setup to be the Local Master?  ('Settings', 'SMB', 'Workgroup Settings')  And is it the Local Master?  If you are running version 6, you can install the "Dynamix Local Master" plugin which will tell you if your server is the Local Browser!  (This plugin will also tell which computer is the Local Master.)

You really want your server to be the Local Master as most of the time, it is always on and that will simplify the 'election' process that must go on SMB networks!  If you want to virtually guarantee that your unRAID server ends as the Local Browser, you can either  create a 'smb-extra.conf' in your 'config' folder on your Flash drive  (or add it to the file if it already exists) with these lines:

domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

What the problem with Win 10 is that MS has increased the default value of of the 'os level' with each new generation of Windows.  Thus, one of your Win 10 machines will become the Local Master on the SBM network if the default remains unchanged.  This becomes becomes a problem if (or when) the Local Master is shutdown.  A new election will be forced and it may take thirty minutes to an hour before the change is picked up by all of the other computers on the network. 

I have the same issue and have ended up doing the same as Squid for now. The Win10 November update did this to mine. Has worked fine from 8.1 through initial 10 upgrade. Server has been and still is Browser Master for the LAN.

One clue I found but have not found a fix for is this command. Something is borked.

C:\Windows\System32>net view

System error 1231 has occurred.

Is your unRAID server setup to be the Local Master?  ('Settings', 'SMB', 'Workgroup Settings')  And is it the Local Master?  If you are running version 6, you can install the "Dynamix Local Master" plugin which will tell you if your server is the Local Browser!  (This plugin will also tell which computer is the Local Master.)

You really want your server to be the Local Master as most of the time, it is always on and that will simplify the 'election' process that must go on SMB networks!  If you want to virtually guarantee that your unRAID server ends as the Local Browser, you can either  create a 'smb-extra.conf' in your 'config' folder on your Flash drive  (or add it to the file if it already exists) with these lines:

domain master = yes
preferred master = yes
os level = 255

What the problem with Win 10 is that MS has increased the default value of of the 'os level' with each new generation of Windows.  Thus, one of your Win 10 machines will become the Local Master on the SBM network if the default remains unchanged.  This becomes becomes a problem if (or when) the Local Master is shutdown.  A new election will be forced and it may take thirty minutes to an hour before the change is picked up by all of the other computers on the network.

Yes, The computer is the local master and shown/verified by the plugin you asked me to install.  As you can see from the screenshots, my server which is named "unraid" still is not showing in windows network, My other two computer attached are.  Since my unraid server is the master I'm assuming I don't need to create the config file you stated?  I'm assuming that's not going to fix the problem of my unraid shares not showing up.

Screenshot_2.png.dd60853ad0aaf6e2cc948c9ae0b73ea8.png

I manually entered in the ip address of my servers and then pinned the explorer window to the quick links section.  I find it better than going through network as its less clicks

But, if i let windows sit on network for hours then it sometimes picks up the servers by itself.  Windows has (and probably always will be) terrible at picking up networked computers

I'm a networking noob I suppose.  I really don't follow what you are asking me to try.  Do I type the unraid server address into my browser?

Explorer Window  (\\server-name or \\192.168.xxx.xxx)

Right click on Quick Access and pin current folder to Quick Access

That seems to work.  All my shares are there and I seem to be able to access and transfer data.  So that brings me to the question of why didn't this just show up as my other computers?  Is there any disadvantage on having it setup this way?  I apologize for stupid questions, I'm not that keen on networking.....  I do very much appreciate everyone's help.  Was worried I was going to have to format and go back to 8.1.......

Explorer Window  (\\server-name or \\192.168.xxx.xxx)

Right click on Quick Access and pin current folder to Quick Access

That seems to work.  All my shares are there and I seem to be able to access and transfer data.  So that brings me to the question of why didn't this just show up as my other computers?  Is there any disadvantage on having it setup this way?  I apologize for stupid questions, I'm not that keen on networking.....  I do very much appreciate everyone's help.  Was worried I was going to have to format and go back to 8.1.......

Over the course of the last 15 years, I have discovered one immutable truth:  Windows sucks at network discovery.  Always has and always will.  I have never had consistent results with even pure Windows networks and all of the computers showing up.  I gave up trying to fix it and worrying about it a long long time ago.

And no, there is no disadvantage

• Like 1

Over the course of the last 15 years, I have discovered one immutable truth:  Windows sucks at network discovery.  Always has and always will.  I have never had consistent results with even pure Windows networks and all of the computers showing up.  I gave up trying to fix it and worrying about it a long long time ago.

And no, there is no disadvantage

+1!  I can remember when Windows Vista was introduced, some computers (but not all, apparently) refused to connect with computers that were still running Win 95 lineage of MS OS's (95, 98, ME...).  There were reams of forum threads that held forth 'solutions' but not one solved the issue for everyone.  Luckily, few people jumped onto the Vista bandwagon.  Unfortunately, I had a Vista laptop that I could never get working with the other two computers that were running ME.  However, I used that computer mostly for traveling (Keeping a travel log, backup of pictures, etc.) and I could use 'sneaker net' to move that few files that had to be transferred over when we returned. 

I have remarked many times that fixing these types of problems is more like witchcraft than anything else.  That is why many of us attempt so hard to make sure that the unRAID server is the Local Master.  In the past, that has seemed to minimize/eliminate most of the problems. 

Apparently, some new gremlin has be introduced into the mix with Win 10. 

This is a problem that plagues many Windows users. Typically you cannot find the Unraid server in Windows Explorer.

There are two things to try.

First go to Control panel,select network and then Change Adapter Settings. Select

Properties from the Status Settings popup.

Make sure every item except 2,

Microsoft Network Adapter Multplexor Protocol and

Microsoft LLDP protocol driver are checked. Then click OK

Then go to Start, Administrative Tools, Services. Starting at the top turn on to Automatic Startup every service related to networking especially the ones starting with Network.

This worked for me

You can also try to start the network recognizing Unraid by mapping to an Unraid share. You cannot browse for the Unraid server. You have to manually enter the info.

Select an unused letter entering as an example  \\tower\movies then select Reconnect at sign in and click finish

Reboot your Windows machine after completing each step and check the Network in Windows Explorer

Let me know

You can also try to start the network recognizing Unraid by mapping to an Unraid share. You cannot browse for the Unraid server. You have to manually enter the info.

Select an unused letter entering as an example  \\tower\movies then select Reconnect at sign in and click finish

Reboot your Windows machine after completing each step and check the Network in Windows Explorer

Mapping a drive brings up a whole other set of issues.  Generally, if you don't need to map (and most people don't) you're better off not mapping.