$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Just did my first round of testing, threw three 1TB drives in, and a 5TB.  Though my Windows 10 install couldn't pick up the 2 1TB drives, (This is probably due to the onboard secondary Intel 602 Controller those drives were plugged into), unRAID found all drives no problem.

I will say the fan in the rear of the 5in3 is a bit loud, but I'll end up swapping it out.  The two SATA power pluggs are poisitioned horribly, one directly on top of the other.

In all they are solid 5in3's.  I'm a fan of iStar accessories.

Side note:  I would definitely recommended volt Modding the mid fan wall 80mm fans down to 7v.  Its a simple molex pin move, but makes a hell of a difference.  At 12v those stock 80mm scream.

Processor ordered and received.

MB ordered.  Went with the ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16

Memory ordered.  64GB from eBay that Drider bought from.

Second processor ordered.  They went up today by $5. 

Need to decide what CPU cooler to use.  I am using a Lian-Li PC-D8000 as my case so have plenty of room.  Any suggestions?

You should be able to get away with a good name 850w PSU.  I'm using a Seasonic 850-X, you can follow the links a couple posts up to the build specs.

I won't be Running dual GFX 24/7, I just have been benching with them.

I figured but I’m worried after reading a few posts on servethehome stating there were issues with certain power supplies with these dual cpus even though the wattage requirements were met.

I haven't seen the thread, but I'm going to assume these troubles will be more than likely linked to poor quality PSU's.

Do yourself a favor.  Buy a quality brand PSU, it's the one thing in your systems you should never go cheap on, and in reality it should be the first component in any build.  One bad zap from your PSU and you could lose ALL hardware.

SuperFlower, Seasonic, EVGA(Rebrands of Both Previously mentioned) are all great PSU choices.

I will be eventually going redundant server grade power supply on this rig, as this will be running 90% of my business, I just haven't had the time to research into it yet.

So I woke up this morning to an unpleasant surprise. I have the ipmi plugin installed that can send email alerts for system issues, and it emailed me at 3am (while the system was completely idle), that the cpu was at 103 degress Celcius and had been there all morning.

I sprinted downstairs to see what was going on, opened up my Norco, and found the cpu heatsinks/heatpipes etc to be cool to the touch... Machine was completely idle with 3% usage...

I rebooted and cpu temp reading returned to its normal idle temp of 39-43 Celcius...

Anyone seen this before? Is this a motherboard issue? A cpu issue? a fluke?

One thing I noticed was if you convert 103 F into Celcius, you get 39.444 .... Could this be a conversion issue?

Also, I'm wondering if the mods should move this thread (or parts of it), to the cpu forum. I'm not sure if our discussions are still relevant for good deals...

[EDIT] It happend again, though this time, it seems to have reset itself immediately (time stamp was the same second)...

So I woke up this morning to an unpleasant surprise. I have the ipmi plugin installed that can send email alerts for system issues, and it emailed me at 3am (while the system was completely idle), that the cpu was at 103 degress Celcius and had been there all morning.

I sprinted downstairs to see what was going on, opened up my Norco, and found the cpu heatsinks/heatpipes etc to be cool to the touch... Machine was completely idle with 3% usage...

I rebooted and cpu temp reading returned to its normal idle temp of 39-43 Celcius...

Anyone seen this before? Is this a motherboard issue? A cpu issue? a fluke?

One thing I noticed was if you convert 103 F into Celcius, you get 39.444 .... Could this be a conversion issue?

Also, I'm wondering if the mods should move this thread (or parts of it), to the cpu forum. I'm not sure if our discussions are still relevant for good deals...

[EDIT] It happend again, though this time, it seems to have reset itself immediately (time stamp was the same second)...

I haven't actually let mine run more than 2-3 hours at a time yet as I've still been testing & benching.  I'm sure I'm going to be effected by the same issue.

Wow! I reached out to ASRock support after posting and they sent me an email with updated BMC firmware and bios! Can't complain about that customer support!

I'll flash the board tonight and report back! :)

Is the firmware and updates available on their website for others to find directly? If not, could you post up the links they sent you?

I'd like to know as well, I'm going to be flashing this update as soon as possible too.

Processor ordered and received.

MB ordered.  Went with the ASRock EP2C602-4L/D16

Memory ordered.  64GB from eBay that Drider bought from.

Second processor ordered.  They went up today by $5. 

Need to decide what CPU cooler to use.  I am using a Lian-Li PC-D8000 as my case so have plenty of room.  Any suggestions?

Decided to go with these.

Noctua NH-U12DXi4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835608043

Kind of stinks that the price is the same as the CPU.  :(

Just some power consumption numbers:

Mobo: ASRock EP2C602

CPU: 2 x E5-2670 xeon

RAM: 32 GB (8 sticks of 4gb)

PCIe cards in the system:

GPU: GTX480

HBA card: M5014

Extra NICs: Intel Dual port

HDs:

9 platter drives (ranging from 1 TB to 4TB) - the drives were spun up throughout all the testing.

2 SSD drives

PSU: 750W Gold

I'm running UnRaid virtualized under ESXi. I don't know how that affects the power consumption vs running unraid on bare metal.

With power of (though the mobo still gets 5v since there are led's that are on on the mobo) I'm eating up 12W.

ESXi powered up but no VMs: 158W  (this is with the GPU idle and all drives spun up)

Next I started the unRAID VM and after a full boot (unraid has crashpan and a couple of other not very CPU intensive dockers as well as a few plugins) : 208W

I then also started a Win10 VM and pegged all the 32 hyperthreading cores (ran some 3d rendering which maxed out all the cores) : 355W

All CPUs pegged at 100% as well as the GPU running : 450W

Can anyone confirm any of these numbers?

There is an option in the BIOS to do some tuning of cpu power consumtion (CPU Power Managemnt Configuration) that I haven't played with yet.

I don't know what some of those things in there mean, so I decided not to tamper with any of it.

I'm getting dangerously close to putting down some $$ and starting to buy a new rig based around these babies..

Trouble is I haven't got anywhere that I could put a rack, or a rackmounted case - any other suggestions for decent cases that I should look at?  I thinking of the Asrock motherboard with a pair of these Xeon's.  I'll be migrating my current 7 drives into it and would like room for a few more (certainly unlikely to need the 14 odd that the motherboard supports).

Oh and I'm looking to keep these cheap(ish) on the case front :)

Thanks

Chris

Just some power consumption numbers:

I then also started a Win10 VM and pegged all the 32 hyperthreading cores (ran some 3d rendering which maxed out all the cores) : 355W

Can anyone confirm any of these numbers?

My new system with all HDD's spun up consumes 375 Watts max. Normally consumes 300 Watts.

Motherboard: ASRock - EP2C602-4L/D16 - Socket LGA2011

Processor: Dual Intel® Xeon® CPU E5-2670 0 @ 2.60GHz

HDD's = 14

SSD = 1

GPU = XFX One HD 5450 Deluxe

LAN = 2 active

PSU = Corsair RM1000 - Gold

I'm getting dangerously close to putting down some $$ and starting to buy a new rig based around these babies..

Trouble is I haven't got anywhere that I could put a rack, or a rackmounted case - any other suggestions for decent cases that I should look at?  I thinking of the Asrock motherboard with a pair of these Xeon's.  I'll be migrating my current 7 drives into it and would like room for a few more (certainly unlikely to need the 14 odd that the motherboard supports).

Oh and I'm looking to keep these cheap(ish) on the case front :)

Thanks

Chris

I'm sticking mine in an E-ATX capable Lian-Li case, I was going to go 24 bay hotswap Supermicro case but it's deeper than my current rack is... so that's a no go.