$90 Xeon E5-2670 2.6Ghz (8cores / 16threads)

Hey all,

First of all, a big thanks to the thread starter and all that have added to it over the past several weeks.  My wallet is a bit lighter but my server is soon to be a LOT beefier!  I've got 2 of the E5-2670s on their way, that I'll be running together on the ASRock board mentioned earlier in the thread.

My question is this:  I've got a Supermicro SC933 3U chassis that has 15 hot swap drive bays along the front, with 4 fans pulling air from the front and pushing the air through an air shroud over the motherboard and out the back with 2 additional exhaust fans.  The shroud creates a pretty good air flow over the motherboard, but prevents me from having any tower-style cpu fans on top of the cpus (like the Dynatron R17).  I seem to have 3 options:

[*]Keep the shroud and use a large passive heatsink like the Dynatron R8 - aligned so the fins are parallel to the shroud-assisted air flow

[*]Keep the shroud and use a top mounted fan heatsink like the Titan TTC-NA43TZ/CU35

[*]Remove the shroud and use a Dynatron R17 tower-style fan

I'm leaning towards the passive heatsink, assuming that the shroud is already pulling a huge amount of cool air directly over the motherboard and thus through the heatsink fins.

Thoughts?

Thanks very much in advance.

-David

My understanding is that the whole point of the shroud is so you *can* install a passive cooler... What are you currently doing, as far as cpu and cooling?

Assuming the passive cooler would keep your temperatures at a reasonable level, I would go passive. In my eyes (ears ;)), less noise is always better (assuming you don't cook your cpus) :)

Can anyone confirm that the ASROCK EP2C602-4L/D16

is ok with this memory?

http://www.ebay.at/itm/201380486027?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

not on list, but i think 2 people here bought it...

thanks

That was the ram and motherboard that I ordered, and the ram just arrived today (took awhile to ship to Canada), so I'll post back tonight on my success (hopefully!).

I've read that low voltage ram has less compatibility issues than regular ram (I'm assuming it's because the 1.35v ram can also run at 1.5v, where the 1.5v ram often cannot run at 1.35v...), so I figured it might be a safer buy. Usually I try not to order ram that is not on the compatibility list, but at this price, I figured it was worth a shot...

I believe Drider ordered from the same vendor, though he ordered 2 sets and mentioned they were completely different, so it may be a crap shoot...

I have the same case. I decided to go with the SuperMicro active coolers (SNK-P0048AP4), and not use the shroud.

ProVantage has the best price:  http://www.provantage.com/supermicro-ssg-2028r-acr24l~7SUPM3R3.htm

I think shroud + fan is going to negatively affect airflow.

My understanding is that the whole point of the shroud is so you *can* install a passive cooler... What are you currently doing, as far as cpu and cooling?

Assuming the passive cooler would keep your temperatures at a reasonable level, I would go passive. In my eyes (ears ;)), less noise is always better (assuming you don't cook your cpus) :)

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys.  I've decided to try the "passive" solution with the shroud and see how that performs.  I ordered two of the Supermicro SNK-P0048P heat sinks from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101827

I'll report back once I've got everything installed and see how my temps hold up.  It'll be a couple of weeks before I get around to doing that.

Thanks again.

p.s. My current system is based off of a 4-5 year old low end AMD CPU with a small active heatsink under the shroud, but I've never really spent much time focusing on performance.  Unraid has always just been a file server to me, but v6 has changed all of that (as most of us in this thread must agree with or we wouldn't be spending all this money on dual Xeon rigs)

I have the same case. I decided to go with the SuperMicro active coolers (SNK-P0048AP4), and not use the shroud.

ProVantage has the best price:  http://www.provantage.com/supermicro-ssg-2028r-acr24l~7SUPM3R3.htm

I think shroud + fan is going to negatively affect airflow.

You should be fine so long as you have some decent airflow through the shroud. Actually, you'll most likely be better off with your setup, than people in large cases without directed cooling over the entire motherboard. A lot of cases with active coolers direct cooling right past the board, without any good flow down at the board level, where there are plenty of components that could use some active cooling. It is all for electronic component longevity. Keeping them down helps with thermal degradation. Will it matter, probably not, but it certainly wont hurt.

Thanks for the great suggestions, guys.  I've decided to try the "passive" solution with the shroud and see how that performs.  I ordered two of the Supermicro SNK-P0048P heat sinks from Newegg:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816101827

I'll report back once I've got everything installed and see how my temps hold up.  It'll be a couple of weeks before I get around to doing that.

Thanks again.

p.s. My current system is based off of a 4-5 year old low end AMD CPU with a small active heatsink under the shroud, but I've never really spent much time focusing on performance.  Unraid has always just been a file server to me, but v6 has changed all of that (as most of us in this thread must agree with or we wouldn't be spending all this money on dual Xeon rigs)

is ok with this memory?

http://www.ebay.at/itm/201380486027?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

thanks

That was the ram and motherboard that I ordered, and the ram just arrived today (took awhile to ship to Canada), so I'll post back tonight on my success (hopefully!).

I've read that low voltage ram has less compatibility issues than regular ram (I'm assuming it's because the 1.35v ram can also run at 1.5v, where the 1.5v ram often cannot run at 1.35v...), so I figured it might be a safer buy. Usually I try not to order ram that is not on the compatibility list, but at this price, I figured it was worth a shot...

I believe Drider ordered from the same vendor, though he ordered 2 sets and mentioned they were completely different, so it may be a crap shoot...

thank you, i will wait for for confirmation.

What kind of RAM was it? i don't see anything in description.

is ok with this memory?

thanks

Confirmed: (at least the Micron Brand they sent me the first round MICRON MT36KSF1G72PZ-1G4M1HE)

My father and I are both running it.

I'm soon to be running 128GB of it, I made the mistake of placing two separate orders my first round and ended up with two completely different kits.

I will say this, the second kit they sent was Samsung M392B1K70CM0-CH9 and it WAS NOT Low Voltage 1.35v rather 1.5v.  Though, it was low profile with heat spreaders, I was tempted to keep it....  I never even tested the Samsung, I sent it right back, and confirmed a third order of specific MICRON MT36KSF1G72PZ-1G4M1HE.

Hope this helps, this server is a BEAST!

EDIT:  It's worth noting, LizAnn there is very responsive and helped me out within minutes.  She did confirm if you order two or more sets at the same time, they will make sure it's of all the same brand and part.  (never hurts to put a note in the comments when ordering though.)

On a side note:

I'm VERY tempted to pull my dual MSI 980Ti Golden's out of my personal rig, throw them in the new server with a Intel 730 SSD.  Load up Win 10 Pro and give this thing the gamut of Bench marks just for giggles.. (The Dual Xeons are already hitting damn near 20k on CPU Mark)

Even though the business is keeping me pretty well occupied, if you guys are interested in the results, I can probably make it happen this weekend.

;D

So I haven't run MemTest or anything yet on this, as I just got it put together late last night, but so far so good! Ram was recognized immediately. No issues booting. Checked this morning and server was chugging along. I'll run MemTest when I get home to confirm, but my gut tells me this ram is perfectly compatible with this board! :)

EDIT: My ram is identical to what Drider received (MICRON MT36KSF1G72PZ-1G4M1HE).

So I thought I was RockStarring it with my 64GB of ram  ;D, but I noticed several folks are going with 128GB! I'm coming from 8GB, so I though even with 3 or 4 VMs, 64GB would be plenty. Am I missing something?

Can anyone running 128GB of Ram provide me a real-world use case where I might need more than 64GB in UnRaid? I figure if there is a valid reason, now is the time to get it while the vendor still has matching ram... :)

So I thought I was RockStarring it with my 64GB of ram  ;D , but I noticed several folks are going with 128GB! I'm coming from 8GB, so I though even with 3 or 4 VMs, 64GB would be plenty. Am I missing something?

Can anyone running 128GB of Ram provide me a real-world use case where I might need more than 64GB in UnRaid? I figure if there is a valid reason, now is the time to get it while the vendor still has matching ram... :)

Lots of VM's and/or ramdisks.  Although not for unraid, In one particular case I'm working on, we are moving the webserver's cached pages to a ramdisk for high speed access. While the SSD subsystem is very fast, we saw we could shave off seconds when accessing the data via RAMFS.

Another use is for SQLite to be on a ramdisk.  In my own use cases, there was significant improvement over magnetic drives.

I could see where huge amounts of ram would be useful for editing large audio and/or video projects in a ramdisk, then saving to final storage. I'm not sure how I personally would use 128GB of it though.

So I thought I was RockStarring it with my 64GB of ram  ;D, but I noticed several folks are going with 128GB! I'm coming from 8GB, so I though even with 3 or 4 VMs, 64GB would be plenty. Am I missing something?

I will be running unRAID as a guest on ESXi. I just fired up unRAID to see what it showed.  I will only allocate ~24GB to unRAID.

So I haven't run MemTest or anything yet on this, as I just got it put together late last night, but so far so good! Ram was recognized immediately. No issues booting. Checked this morning and server was chugging along. I'll run MemTest when I get home to confirm, but my gut tells me this ram is perfectly compatible with this board! :)

EDIT: My ram is identical to what Drider received (MICRON MT36KSF1G72PZ-1G4M1HE).

thank you all for confirmation. i bought also 128GB, but to europe it will take some time. i got confirm. from seller that is also MICRON MT36KSF1G72PZ-1G4M1HE

next point, for you guys are pushing 980Tis in it. (perhaps just for the lulz :-) )

(little off topic)

im running MSI X58PRO with MSI 980 and xeon x5650 at 4GHz stable at air.  4k gaming not really, only medium settings in games, but 2k on ULTRA still on every game.

(The devision Beta, BF4, Star Wars Battle Front) (limited at 60FPS due to GSYNC and i dont see difference above, some see it, i do not)

i dont think that this E2670 with minor or none OC potential will go same with my 980. i will test it.

but, i have to mention, i made a second deal. i found a EVGA SR-2 classified, which i will bring up the next days with 2 X5650 and have a look at 3DMark, if i have any plus.

nevertheless, for gaming, THIS CPU(e2670)  is not the best option.

Contemplated going dual socket, because why not at these proc prices, however cant justify it when throwing in the need for a case as well.

Went with:

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157523

RAM: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201380486027

CPU: Listed in OP

Hopefully i can find my LGA2011 heatsink plate for my Noctua.

Well, well, well...  let me help you justify!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219020&cm_re=norco_470-_-11-219-020-_-Product

Pop in a 3x5.25" to 5x3.5" and you have 15 HDD goodness at $90.00  :o

I confess I've also resisted jumping in on this, although I'm VERY tempted.  [For some strange reason, my wife thinks my 3 UnRAID servers; 3 HTPC's; 3 desktops; 3 older "spare" PC's; and 5 laptops are enough for the 2 of us without the need for yet-another server  :) ]

You can win this one, ..

"But Honey, if I build this one server I can consolidate two I have into it, we'd end up having more space, and less noise!"

Then just kinda forget to ever take the other two offline.  ;D

Mother of god..... Can anyone tell me if the hard drive cages on the side can be replaced with 5x3's as well? Would be quite perfect, I do believe.

So an update:

I got my iStar 5in3 HDD cage in today.  News is: this case does fit 5in3's in all front bays, I guess it just depends on the cages you want to use.

The last shot is the configuration I'll be using, and the fitment couldn't be any more exact.

Case is a Norco RPC-470 $86.99 on newegg.com

Q9Exe6r.jpg?1

UU8OrmW.jpg

jfeT8TG.jpg

Of course we are interested. 

This will also make a Killer workstation.

i do think this would work for a really nice workstation setup

I wouldn't bother with it for gaming.  For 3D rendering and video production yeah, but not gaming.  It would make a good windows workstation only if you're running software that uses lots of cores/threads.

yea i'm trying to see if i can get the wife to approve a video production box we could get videos out super quick with this setup

Contemplated going dual socket, because why not at these proc prices, however cant justify it when throwing in the need for a case as well.

Went with:

Mobo: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157523

RAM: http://www.ebay.ca/itm/201380486027

CPU: Listed in OP

Hopefully i can find my LGA2011 heatsink plate for my Noctua.

Well, well, well...  let me help you justify!

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219020&cm_re=norco_470-_-11-219-020-_-Product

Pop in a 3x5.25" to 5x3.5" and you have 15 HDD goodness at $90.00  :o

I confess I've also resisted jumping in on this, although I'm VERY tempted.  [For some strange reason, my wife thinks my 3 UnRAID servers; 3 HTPC's; 3 desktops; 3 older "spare" PC's; and 5 laptops are enough for the 2 of us without the need for yet-another server  :) ]

You can win this one, ..

"But Honey, if I build this one server I can consolidate two I have into it, we'd end up having more space, and less noise!"

Then just kinda forget to ever take the other two offline.  ;D

Mother of god..... Can anyone tell me if the hard drive cages on the side can be replaced with 5x3's as well? Would be quite perfect, I do believe.

So an update:

I got my iStar 5in3 HDD cage in today.  News is: this case does fit 5in3's in all front bays, I guess it just depends on the cages you want to use.

The last shot is the configuration I'll be using, and the fitment couldn't be any more exact.

Case is a Norco RPC-470 $86.99 on newegg.com

Q9Exe6r.jpg?1

UU8OrmW.jpg

jfeT8TG.jpg

thanks man lol i started specing out a system to try and present to some friends for some funding you just added some stuff to my newegg to hopefully make it easier. how do you like the 5 in 3's? I think i might hold off on those for now pick them up after the internal slots get used up.