[Support] ken-ji - Dropbox

I've never had to do anything about permissions - so something's up and incorrect...

hmmm... your app folder is owned by root? are you sure your DROPBOX_USER and DROPBOX_USERID are correct?

they default to nobody and 99

and if i remember your issue from before, you were trying to have the USERID set to 1000, so the directories should be owned by zan user?

I've never had to do anything about permissions - so something's up and incorrect...

hmmm... your app folder is owned by root? are you sure your DROPBOX_USER and DROPBOX_USERID are correct?

they default to nobody and 99

and if i remember your issue from before, you were trying to have the USERID set to 1000, so the directories should be owned by zan user?

I went back to defaults (nobody:users) a while ago but the permissions issue continued.

I've deleted the docker image and re-created it and it's working fine again.

Cheers.

• 2 months later...

sysctl is never run inside the docker; should be done on the host side.

If you are getting this error running docker, considering adding the following to the /boot/config/go script near the start

# configure sysctl
/sbin/sysctl -p /boot/config/sysctl.conf

then create a file /boot/config/sysctl.conf with contents

fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000

you can use this in the cli to set and check without rebooting

root@Tower:~# echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 > /boot/config/sysctl.conf
root@Tower:~# sysctl -p /boot/config/sysctl.conf

• 1 month later...

Hi there! First off, thank you for your work on this Docker, Ken-ji! This is most excellent for my application, once it's working anyway.

My issue is that the Dropbox docker seems to have deleted all of the files from my Dropbox account (some 40+GB of my most precious data) when moving them to my unRAID system. You can imagine my surprise.  :o

Since there wasn't much in the way of a guide anywhere that I could find, I'll just lay out what I did to get where I am now, and will put my system configuration in my signature afterward in case that's of interest.

1) Trial version of unRAID 6.2 installed and configured my array.

2) Updated to unRAID 6.2.1

3) Created a few shares

4) Created the Dropbox Docker with default settings

5) Finally discovered the link in the logs and used it to connect my account to the docker

6) Created a unRAID user account

6) Discovered that my Dropbox data wasn't protected on the local network

7) Finally discovered some context for the docker's environmental variables here:https://hub.docker.com/r/janeczku/dropbox/

8) Edited my Dropbox docker accordingly as shown in the screenshot (which is current, but disabled): http://i.imgur.com/p5YFIv0.png

9) The dropbox docker ran all day today backing up (and inadvertently deleting) my dropbox files from the server.

When I try to access the files via SMB from a local computer running Win7 using the same user, "seth," to access the server, I'm not able to access the Dropbox folder. Running the Dolphin docker allows me to access the files and see that the Dropbox folder is listed as being owned by "nobody".

I would appreciate some help! I don't want to initialize it again until I'm sure it won't delete the files from my Dropbox account.

Basically, there are some points to be considered.

The template hasn't been updated to 6.2 thus the variable descriptions are of no help. (I'll get around to that soon)

The environment variables pertaining to USER/UID/GROUP/GID are set to acceptable defaults for normal/general use case of unraid.

These variables should only be set at the very start of the docker, or if you know exactly what is going to happen.

If access to unraid is via user accounts and not the default public access, by default files would then need to be accessible for RW by the user.

Let us assume that your user "seth" has a uid of 1000.

Thus that means that DROPBOX_USER = "seth" and DROPBOX_USERID=1000

Upon start, the docker will attempt to change the permissions to this user.

and then start the docker process under this user.

The fact that your files are still owned by nobody shouldn't be the case.

Also, the Dropbox share should be either cache only or array only. As some users have experienced, placing them in a normal share is a disaster waiting to happen once the mover works, Dropbox thinks your files were deleted and thus proceeds to nuke your files.

I've run this before from a very clean slate and always my files are pulled from the lan and network.

Hi there! First off, thank you for your work on this Docker, Ken-ji! This is most excellent for my application, once it's working anyway.

My issue is that the Dropbox docker seems to have deleted all of the files from my Dropbox account (some 40+GB of my most precious data) when moving them to my unRAID system. You can imagine my surprise.  :o

Since there wasn't much in the way of a guide anywhere that I could find, I'll just lay out what I did to get where I am now, and will put my system configuration in my signature afterward in case that's of interest.

1) Trial version of unRAID 6.2 installed and configured my array.

2) Updated to unRAID 6.2.1

3) Created a few shares

4) Created the Dropbox Docker with default settings

5) Finally discovered the link in the logs and used it to connect my account to the docker

6) Created a unRAID user account

6) Discovered that my Dropbox data wasn't protected on the local network

7) Finally discovered some context for the docker's environmental variables here:https://hub.docker.com/r/janeczku/dropbox/

8) Edited my Dropbox docker accordingly as shown in the screenshot (which is current, but disabled): http://i.imgur.com/p5YFIv0.png

9) The dropbox docker ran all day today backing up (and inadvertently deleting) my dropbox files from the server.

When I try to access the files via SMB from a local computer running Win7 using the same user, "seth," to access the server, I'm not able to access the Dropbox folder. Running the Dolphin docker allows me to access the files and see that the Dropbox folder is listed as being owned by "nobody".

I would appreciate some help! I don't want to initialize it again until I'm sure it won't delete the files from my Dropbox account.

Also, the Dropbox share should be either cache only or array only.

Ken-ji,

That did the trick! I edited the Dropbox share to not use the cache drive and changed your docker settings to point to /mnt/user/* instead. Now the Mover is not deleting from the Dropbox server. Simply changing the path in the Docker's Environmental Variables didn't copy over files from one location to the other. Instead, it placed links in the new location to the old location. I manually removed the old locations through Midnight Commander. Now your Docker is successfully pulling data from the Dropbox server to my unRAID array!

It is not uploading anything, though. Is that something else I've messed up? The only thing I've seen that would affect this is the selection of ports in the Docker settings. I left those as default.

EDIT 20161014 0005est: Clarified a few things above. I just checked the ownership of the new Dropbox share. Dolphin still lists the owner as user "nobody" for all files and folders. I'm not sure how to go about fixing that.

I'm not sure what the exact problem is, but have you tried starting completely over? the fact that the files are still owned by nobody instead of what ever you set in the environment variable indicates something is wrong. Also see if the docker logs have anything in them. (Same place where you see the login/authenticate link)

• 1 month later...

Refering to this: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51874.msg497876#msg497876

- Those having Docker issues (such as no Docker tab, "layers from manifest" error, no working dockers, all Dockers need upgrade, etc), the common solution recommended seems to be the same - in Docker configuration, delete your docker.img, recreate it again (not on an unassigned drive!), then reinstall your Docker apps through Community Application's Previous Apps section or via the my* templates.  Your apps will be back the exact same way as before, with no adjustment of the volume mappings, ports, etc required.  This should be easy, fairly quick, a one-time operation.

Refering to this: http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=51874.msg497876#msg497876

- Those having Docker issues (such as no Docker tab, "layers from manifest" error, no working dockers, all Dockers need upgrade, etc), the common solution recommended seems to be the same - in Docker configuration, delete your docker.img, recreate it again (not on an unassigned drive!), then reinstall your Docker apps through Community Application's Previous Apps section or via the my* templates.  Your apps will be back the exact same way as before, with no adjustment of the volume mappings, ports, etc required.  This should be easy, fairly quick, a one-time operation.

That did the trick.  Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

I am having a heck of a time getting this thing going.  I am getting the dreaded warning: tornado error.  Maybe someone could explain permissions to me, as I thought I understood them, but I guess not.

1)  I always login as root to unraid both in Terminal and Gui.  I know this is frowned upon in the Linux world, but I thought that was the only way to do it in Unraid.

2)  All my shares were setup then as root

3)  All my dockers were also setup as root.

Did I completely mess this up? 

Why would I need to set Dropbox userid if I never set it up under another user?

This was all done on V6.2, so I never needed to run new permissions, but I did anyway and it still is not working.

Thanks for any help!

By default, all access to unRaid shares over SMB are as the user nobody, so all the files and directories created via SMB will be owned by nobody

My Dropbox docker runs dropbox as the user nobody, so you don't need to set the userid under default unRaid settings.

Don't be concerned by the login via the Terminal or the Web UI as root as that's the only way you can.

Now if you are having tornado errors, it usually means the dropbox docker is failing to access some of the files.

Can you post the volume mappings you've set for Dropbox docker, as well the directory listing for the appdata dir and the Dropbox data dir?

following the default mappings, the following commands should do it

# ls -al /mnt/user/appdata/Dropbox
# ls -al /mnt/user/Dropbox 

root@Unraid:/mnt/user/Data# ls -al /mnt/user/Data/Dropbox

total 4

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users    36 Dec 13 17:28 ./

drwx------ 1 nobody users  177 Dec 13 17:27 ../

drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody nogroup  36 Dec 13 17:28 .dropbox.cache/

root@Unraid:/mnt/user/Data# ls -al /mnt/user/appdata/dropbox

total 0

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users    74 Dec 13 17:28 ./

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users    16 Dec 13 17:27 ../

drwx------ 1 nobody nogroup 183 Dec 13 17:29 .dropbox/

drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody nogroup  87 Dec 13 17:28 .dropbox-dist/

drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root      6 Dec 13 17:28 Dropbox/

As you can see my Dropbox files are under another share.  Is that an issue or can it stay there?

Thanks

Yes, well the problem is that your data is owned by the user matt and not nobody.

This tells me your shares are secured and that you created a user matt for access.

Separate appdata and data directories are fine and is the only way its going to work if you want to access the Dropbox directory from the LAN.

Post a screenshot of the configuration for Dropbox docker. (hmm seems I forgot to update the template to 6.2)

Refer to the previous posts on how to setup the Dropbox user id to match that of your user matt

Read and make sure you understand it. Then nuke all the dropbox folders and start over.

So I had initially set it up using the User and USERID envir. after I couldn't get it to work.  I blew all that out, and completely started over using your defaults.  I have posted the same results in the previous post-It now shows nobody.  BUT, my log is over and over now what I have in the picture-

UPDATE: - It just started on the warning: tornado errors again.  This would be using all defaults, and nothing matt related:

root@Unraid:/mnt/user/Data# ls -al /mnt/user/Data/Dropbox

total 4

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users    36 Dec 13 17:28 ./

drwx------ 1 nobody users  177 Dec 13 17:27 ../

drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody nogroup  36 Dec 13 17:28 .dropbox.cache/

root@Unraid:/mnt/user/Data# ls -al /mnt/user/appdata/dropbox

total 0

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users    74 Dec 13 17:28 ./

drwxrwxrwx 1 nobody users    16 Dec 13 17:27 ../

drwx------ 1 nobody nogroup 183 Dec 13 17:29 .dropbox/

drwxr-xr-x 1 nobody nogroup  87 Dec 13 17:28 .dropbox-dist/

drwxr-xr-x 1 root  root      6 Dec 13 17:28 Dropbox/

Screen_Shot_2016-12-13_at_5_36.41_PM.png.4faf3d7e6fd41934339e0abdaeb1690d.png

Screen_Shot_2016-12-13_at_5_47.13_PM.png.0efef79bd24f57b2270759dd0cb1e384.png

Sorry, but I'm stumped as to what the problem is. You're the first to report this issue.

I appreciate your help.  I will continue working on this to see if I can find anything out and report back.  As a side note, I tried a couple of free Dropbox accounts, and they all worked fine.  Is it possible my paid Dropbox account files have some weird file permissions attached to them causing this?

Yes, you would need to change the mapping of the Data files volume mount:

container: /dropbox/Dropbox ->  host: /mnt/user/Media

This allows the contents of the share Media to to be used as your Dropbox data folder.

The docker actually by default uses /mnt/user/Dropbox as the shared share.

Please be advised that the share settings for Use Cache cannot be YES or PREFFER. It must be set to ONLY or NO, otherwise Dropbox will delete your files as soons as the mover runs

• 2 months later...
3 hours ago, xhaloz said:

Hey guys,

I have dropbox working fine!  My question is....how do I run my wife's dropbox inside my unraid along side of my own dropbox?  Do I need to install the docker again for a duplicate..or how does that work?

1. Configure another container (instance) of this docker image, giving it:
    1. a different name ie DropBox2
    2. different appdata directories, ie /mnt/user/appdata/DropBox2
  2. Delete the conflicting LAN port assignment (only one Dropbox container can use LAN syncing)
  3. Fire it up and have the wife login
  4. It should be good then.
  • Upvote 1
On 9/7/2016 at 8:42 PM, ken-ji said:

sysctl is never run inside the docker; should be done on the host side.

If you are getting this error running docker, considering adding the following to the /boot/config/go script near the start

# configure sysctl
/sbin/sysctl -p /boot/config/sysctl.conf

then create a file /boot/config/sysctl.conf with contents

fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000

you can use this in the cli to set and check without rebooting

root@Tower:~# echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 > /boot/config/sysctl.conf
root@Tower:~# sysctl -p /boot/config/sysctl.conf

so this was working up until 6.3.2 but now I am getting: "Unable to monitor entire Dropbox folder hierarchy. Please run "echo fs.inotify.max_user_watches=100000 | sudo tee -a /etc/sysctl.conf; sudo sysctl -p" and restart Dropbox to fix the problem." again in the logs. My GO file is setup correctly and I have the /boot/config/sysctl.conf correctly set. Any ideas?