unRAID status: warning- current pending sector is 1

grither

Extended smart test completed. How do I download it?

On the drive page it states Last SMART test result: Completed without error

The dreaded current pending sector=1 is still there.

Is there a tool to try and overwrite that sector WITHOUT having to format and recreate the whole drive?

Thanks!

• 1 year later...

I realize this has not had a post in a while, but I got the same error on a WD 3 TB drive that is my (first/main) parity drive.  I ran SMART self tests, but both short and extended fail.  When I read the SMART report, though, I cannot determine what the error is.  I enclose the error report for the extended SMART test.  Does this mean I should be replacing this drive ASAP?  Or are there other tests I can do? 

If I need to replace this parity drive, I am running double parity.  I also have a 3TB cache drive as a hot spare.  Should I go to single parity (swap second parity drive into first/main parity drive) or swap the 3TB cache as the first/main parity? 

(And I have another issue that I have two backups of 4TB each, in external hard drive boxes.  I keep one at home and one at work.  These are almost full, so I could get two 6TB backups, transfer the data, and then use these 4TB drives as parity drives.  Decisions, decisions.)

Thank you.

WDC_WD30EZRS-00J99B0_WD-WCAWZ0150711-20180819-1146.txt

2 minutes ago, ctviggen said:

(And I have another issue that I have two backups of 4TB each, in external hard drive boxes.  I keep one at home and one at work.  These are almost full, so I could get two 6TB backups, transfer the data, and then use these 4TB drives as parity drives.  Decisions, decisions.)

This^

You will be adding more data. It's inevitable.

1 hour ago, ctviggen said:

I realize this has not had a post in a while

Since the thread was dead, I guess you could say it wasn't a hijack. And, in fact, it had already been hijacked earlier.

But in general, you should start your own thread so it can concentrate on the specific details of your problem without getting them mixed up in the specific details of some other user's problem.

Thanks, Jonathan and Johnnie. I'll start rebuilding parity with my cache drive. 

Jonathan, I do want to go to 6TB of data for my backups and then use my 4TB drives as parity drives, but it's (a) expensive and (b) time consuming.  The cheapest external drive system I've found is at Costco, $150 for 6TB, but I would need two of those, so that's $300 at least.  Then there's the transfer of 4TB from one drive to a 6TB drive, that 4TB to another 6TB drive, replacing both 3TB cache drives with 4TB drives....

For me, that'll be a several week process, and I'll have to convince the wife to spend $300+ (and she'll likely ask me to go through our videos, etc., to remove some instead of spending cash). 

37 minutes ago, trurl said:

Since the thread was dead, I guess you could say it wasn't a hijack. And, in fact, it had already been hijacked earlier.

But in general, you should start your own thread so it can concentrate on the specific details of your problem without getting them mixed up in the specific details of some other user's problem.

I don't mind starting my own thread, but it seems if I have the same problem, it makes the most sense to put everything in the same thread.  (Had I not found a thread with this same problem, I'd have started my own thread.)

Having said that, I now have tried some additional troubleshooting, and I may have to start my own thread. 

1 hour ago, ctviggen said:

it seems if I have the same problem, it makes the most sense to put everything in the same thread.

No because

2 hours ago, trurl said:

start your own thread so it can concentrate on the specific details of your problem without getting them mixed up in the specific details of some other user's problem.

Getting some other persons thread sidetracked with your problems is exactly why hijacking is discouraged. And getting the details mixed up when reading and responding to multiple people can lead to serious consequences on this forum.

As I said, it really didn't matter in this case since the other users weren't using the thread anymore. But in general...

Archived