SERIOUSLY! PLEX, hosted on unRAID...is driving me #%&* NUTZ!!

After updating to the latest stable release of unRAID, you use Community Applications to choose the Plex docker you want. I recommend the one from linuxserver.io

Do I need to set-up a Container first?

Does not compute.

Each docker is a container. What did you think it meant?

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually, before adding a docker (container), create a User share named appdata and set it to Use cache disk: Only.

Already had an appdata share; but I'll need to make some changes.

This obviously; anything else?

BTW...thanks for hanging with me tonight trurl!

app1.png.c56d529cf7d54e88d1936a060a8ab902.png

app2.png.baf91a9281d8b19ebaa9b679d01bc057.png

After updating to the latest stable release of unRAID, you use Community Applications to choose the Plex docker you want. I recommend the one from linuxserver.io

Do I need to set-up a Container first?

Does not compute.

Each docker is a container. What did you think it meant?

Sorry; it looked different, before I rebooted. Like that "bridge" selection, etc.  :-[

You need to get appdata off all your other drives. Is there anything in it you want to keep? If not the simplest thing is just to delete all the files and folders in it. Do you "Midnight Commander"?

Then set it to cache-only. Probably don't need to export it. I actually do export hidden on mine (same as my flash drive). Then nobody will know it's there unless they ask for it.

You need to get appdata off all your other drives. Is there anything in it you want to keep? If not the simplest thing is just to delete all the files and folders in it. Do you "Midnight Commander"?

Then set it to cache-only. Probably don't need to export it. I actually do export hidden on mine (same as my flash drive). Then nobody will know it's there unless they ask for it.

I do not need anything, in appdata; I want this to be as clean a re-start as possible.

I did MC, a while back; but would have to refresh.

Is that what I have to do?

mc is probably the best way to make sure you delete everything. If you try to do it from Windows you might miss hidden stuff or run into permission/ownership issues. Using Midnight Commander as root will let you do anything (careful ;D).

OK; I used MC, to delete the appdata user-share.

From Page 3:

OK, here's how I would install this if working from scratch (on 6.1.9):

1. Setup a cache drive. [DONE]

2. Add 'appdata' as a cache-ONLY share. [DONE]

3. Enable docker, point docker.img to /mnt/cache/appdata

3b. Install the Community Applications plugin

4. Install linuxserver.io Plex docker (my preference)

5. Set /config >> /mnt/cache/appdata/plex

6. Set media folders (i.e. /movies >> /mnt/user/movies)

7. Set /transcode >> /mnt/cache/appdata/plex (ensures plex doesnt fill docker.img with transcodes)

8. Save and start Plex docker. perform basic initialization steps (i.e. sign in, setup preferences, etc.). Don't forget to set your transcode dir in Plex to /transcode

9. Setup meta data agents

10. Setup media libraries / folders

11. Open router config, forward port 32400 to unraid server

12. Set plex to manual port forward (uPNP times out and disables remote access in my case)

13. Enjoy life.

I think that covers it all from what I can recall.

3. Enable docker, point docker.img to /mnt/cache/appdata [OK; I had set the docker.img to /mnt/cache...not /appdata. I'm not sure how much it'll matter; but I've gotten so comfortable with MC at this point...what the hell, lol. I deleted docker.img, and will re-enable to /mnt/cache/appdata DONE]

3b. Install the Community Applications plugin [DONE]

7. Set /transcode >> /mnt/cache/appdata/plex (ensures plex doesnt fill docker.img with transcodes)

8. Save and start Plex docker. perform basic initialization steps (i.e. sign in, setup preferences, etc.). Don't forget to set your transcode dir in Plex to /transcode

9. Setup meta data agents

10. Setup media libraries / folders

12. Set plex to manual port forward (uPNP times out and disables remote access in my case)

13. Enjoy life.

plex20_zps2qboykdg.png

Look right? I don't see, the setting for transcode here.

3. Enable docker, point docker.img to /mnt/cache/appdata [OK; I had set the docker.img to /mnt/cache...not /appdata. I'm not sure how much it'll matter; but I've gotten so comfortable with MC at this point...what the hell, lol. I deleted docker.img, and will re-enable to /mnt/cache/appdata DONE]

3b. Install the Community Applications plugin [DONE]

4. Install linuxserver.io Plex docker (my preference) [DONE]

5. Set /config >> /mnt/cache/appdata/plex [DONE]

6. Set media folders (i.e. /movies >> /mnt/user/movies) [DONE]

7. Set /transcode >> /mnt/cache/appdata/plex (ensures plex doesnt fill docker.img with transcodes) [DONE]

9. Setup meta data agents [DONE]

10. Setup media libraries / folders [DONE]

13. Enjoy life.