SERIOUSLY! PLEX, hosted on unRAID...is driving me #%&* NUTZ!!

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry; not that familiar with port forwarding.

This may not be necessary. Plex tries to do it for you (worked with my FIOs router). You only need to manually do this if your server can't be reached from the outside by the mothership at plex.tv. See pic. If you have the green checkmark on Remote Access, you are golden.

Screenshot_1.png.ea79fca1fb2c4edc67bf37e645a06ce7.png

Sorry; where's this?

8. Save and start Plex docker. perform basic initialization steps (i.e. sign in, setup preferences, etc.). Don't forget to set your transcode dir in Plex to /transcode

In Plex, Settings (top right corner) > Server > Transcoder > Show advanced > Transcoder temporary directory > set it to "/transcode"  ;)

What router do you have? Maybe I or someone else can help :)

Have you tried pressing retry a couple of times to see if that works?

plex.jpg.e050eb9f5e3f1474184c39fb94a679ba.jpg

Sorry; where's this?

8. Save and start Plex docker. perform basic initialization steps (i.e. sign in, setup preferences, etc.). Don't forget to set your transcode dir in Plex to /transcode

In Plex, Settings (top right corner) > Server > Transcoder > Show advanced > Transcoder temporary directory > set it to "/transcode"  ;)

What router do you have? Maybe I or someone else can help :)

Have you tried pressing retry a couple of times to see if that works?

OK??

I have an Xfinity (Comcast) wireless router.

trans1.png.3f09fbd09027d5fce0527174e9f818f8.png

Also, if you have a router behind a router (eg: something like an Asus router behind your DSL Modem (if your modem has multiple ethernet ports or supports WiFi, then it has a router integrated into it), then you've got to stick your modem into "bridge mode"

I don't have a router behind a router.

This is the PLEX help...

x1.png.add9173a2435543a55c769fb3759020d.png

In Plex, go to Settings, then server, what do you see next to Remote Access on the left side? Is there a green check mark? If so you already have forwarding setup. Most recent vintage routers can take Plex's suggestion on ports automatically.

No (post #178).

I've skimmed through the 80-page user manual, of my Cisco DPC3941T; and can't find anything...about UPnP or NAT-PMP, as PLEX suggests.

I've skimmed through the 80-page user manual, of my Cisco DPC3941T; and can't find anything...about UPnP or NAT-PMP, as PLEX suggests.

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Cisco/DPC3941T_-_XFINITY/Port_Forwarding.htm

Well yes; I posted a screen shot, of port forwarding...but like I don't know the 'common service', service name, service type?

Besides...the PLEX troubleshooting, made it sound like port-forwarding was really unnecessary, with most "modern" routers; and like steps 2, 3, 4 should be tried first?

port1.png.363652190e33180d75b84afba0d335bb.png

ts1.png.12075349cb5451f1a3eced0a0350143f.png

http://screenshots.portforward.com/routers/Cisco/DPC3941T_-_XFINITY/Port_Forwarding.htm

Well yes; I posted a screen shot, of port forwarding...but like I don't know the 'common service', service name, service type?

Besides...the PLEX troubleshooting, made it sound like port-forwarding was really unnecessary, with most "modern" routers; and like steps 2, 3, 4 should be tried first?

Service Name: PLEX

Type: TCP/UDP is fine

Server IP: Your unraid IP

Start Port: 32400

End Port: 32400

Connected Device: Ignore this, its to populate 'Server IP'

Then log back into the plex interface and set "Manually Foward Port" and check the box and type 32400.

Service Name: PLEX

Type: TCP/UDP is fine

Server IP: Your unraid IP

Start Port: 32400

End Port: 32400

Connected Device: Ignore this, its to populate 'Server IP'

Then log back into the plex interface and set "Manually Foward Port" and check the box and type 32400.

Common service?

cs1.png.5f1fe9565b756f76e1e4e04c9009bd96.png

turn on UPnP. Reboot router. Then back in Plex try "retry" button see if it sticks now.

I did this, BTW; assuming this enables and disables the UPnP?

It was always enabled; but I disabled...saved. Re-enabled...saved; re-booted.

Tried the PLEX server mapping. Still didn't work.

Getting pretty pissed  :-\

You guys are great, to hang in with me; but JC...nothing should be this much work!

upnp1.png.8c54fb808b90bced681167f48cecec13.png

1. Setup a cache drive. [DONE]

2. Add 'appdata' as a cache-ONLY share. [DONE]

3. Enable docker, point docker.img to /mnt/cache/appdata [OK; I had set the docker.img to /mnt/cache...not /appdata. I'm not sure how much it'll matter; but I've gotten so comfortable with MC at this point...what the hell, lol. I deleted docker.img, and will re-enable to /mnt/cache/appdata DONE]

3b. Install the Community Applications plugin [DONE]

4. Install linuxserver.io Plex docker (my preference) [DONE]

5. Set /config >> /mnt/cache/appdata/plex [DONE]

6. Set media folders (i.e. /movies >> /mnt/user/movies) [DONE]

7. Set /transcode >> /mnt/cache/appdata/plex (ensures plex doesnt fill docker.img with transcodes) [DONE]

8. Save and start Plex docker. perform basic initialization steps (i.e. sign in, setup preferences, etc.). Don't forget to set your transcode dir in Plex to /transcode [DONE]

9. Setup meta data agents [DONE]

10. Setup media libraries / folders [DONE]

11. Open router config, forward port 32400 to unraid server

12. Set plex to manual port forward (uPNP times out and disables remote access in my case)

13. Enjoy life.

And if I start to have trouble...loosing connection; I'll know now, I have to re-visit and do 11 & 12 (in order to do 13) ;)

11. Open router config, forward port 32400 to unraid server

12. Set plex to manual port forward (uPNP times out and disables remote access in my case)

13. Enjoy life.