UPDATE: Preclear locks up system (diags/logs attached!)

One new WD red i'm trying to preclear and my system crashes and becomes unresponsive every time I try to preclear.

Unraid 6.1.9

ASRock X79 Extreme4-M board

Xeon E5-2670

4-2TB WD 4RE-GP array drives

1-3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300 array drive

1-3TB WD Red WD30EFRX array drive

1-3TB WD Red WD30EFRX unassigned drive (one I'm trying to preclear)

1-240GB PNY SSD cache

1-IO Crest SI-PEX40064 SATA controller (the drive in question and an empty hot-swap bay are connected to this)

I have a lot of docker containers and plugins running. Let me know if you need a list here.

I have tried this with the preclear plugin in the webgui and with the "fast" preclear_bjp.sh that is posted here, and both yield the same results.

I used troubleshooting mode on the "fix common problems" plugin to get these logs, but not sure if they have what we need, since the system locks up when this problem occurs.

I used to have a different drive connected to the SATA controller and never had a problem like this. Is the drive bad? What do I need to do to figure this out?

Anyone want to have a look?

Let me know what you think!

UPDATE:

So I pulled the IOCREST/SYBA card and bought a used Adaptec 1430SA on ebay, flashed latest BIOS to allow drives >2TB.

I filled out the RMA form for the Syba card. Waiting to hear back from them.

Right now I'm 35 minutes into pre-clearing 3 drives simultaneously.

I will post a reply if I have more problems or if anyone asks a question.

Same issue, so it's likely not the card(s). Still trying to resolve this. See latest posts.

elsa-unraid-diagnostics-20160709-1016.zip

syslog.txt

Goto the 'Main', 'Unassigned Devices'.

Now click on the 'sd(x)' under the 'Devices' column.  See if you can look at the smart results and run a short SMART test. 

I had this happen one time and it was a defective (dead in the water) hard drive.

Short SMART yields no errors.

I did a long a couple days ago with same results.

What happens if you try to run it from the console or a PuTTY emulator using the instructions in this thread?

http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=2817.0

I am also assuming that you don't have a diagnostics file that actually shows a 'crash'. 

BTW, I can't figure what is going on that you have so much activity from the Fix Common Problems plugin at the end of the syslog. 

What happens if you try to run it from the console or a PuTTY emulator using the instructions in this thread?

I am also assuming that you don't have a diagnostics file that actually shows a 'crash'. 

BTW, I can't figure what is going on that you have so much activity from the Fix Common Problems plugin at the end of the syslog.

And yeah, I don't have a log showing the crash. You know of a way to get that even though it's unresponsive even through local console?

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

And yeah, I don't have a log showing the crash. You know of a way to get that even though it's unresponsive even through local console?

I think I saw that you are installing the powerdown plugin.  If that is the case, if you quickly press the power bottom on the case and, hopefully, it will start a normal powerdown sequence which will write the diagnostics file to the Flash Drive. 

EDIT: fixed formatting

Oh, I didn't know the powerdown plugin worked with the power button.

I just have little faith in getting anything to work I  the frozen state since the local console is locked up, too. The cursor still blinks, though! :-|

I just started with the regular preclear script with this: preclear_disk.sh -A -b 500 -w 32768 -r 32768 /dev/sdh

I'll let you know what happens.

Just realize something from a quick read of the link.  Are you running this on console or a PuTTY type session?  The reason for asking is that, if you aren't running screen on the server, shutting down a terminal emulator will cancel the shell process which cancels the preclear.  (I didn't realize this info wasn't in the link...) 

Just realize something from a quick read of the link.  Are you running this on console or a PuTTY type session?  The reason for asking is that, if you aren't running screen on the server, shutting down a terminal emulator will cancel the shell process which cancels the preclear.  (I didn't realize this info wasn't in the link...)

Running screen in a putty session from my regular desktop. Just crashed again at 49:55 into the pre-read.

Power butting did not invoke proper shutdown so I had to do a dirty shutdown.

I'm going to change the SATA cable and see if that changes anything.

You can also try this  (from LimeTech):

In cases where the system hangs, you can set up a system log monitoring telnet session by typing this command:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

Messages will get displayed in your telnet window as they are generated.  If the system hangs, please select/copy/paste the contents of your telnet window, put into a txt file, and attach to your post.

I also believe this will work: 

tail -f /var/log/syslog  >> /boot/syslog.txt

(Linux gurus Help me out if I haven't remembered this correctly.  )

In cases where the system hangs, you can set up a system log monitoring telnet session by typing this command:

tail -f /var/log/syslog

Messages will get displayed in your telnet window as they are generated.  If the system hangs, please select/copy/paste the contents of your telnet window, put into a txt file, and attach to your post.

tail -f /var/log/syslog worked and live updates when I log in through another putty session.

Not sure what this one is supposed to do, but it just shows a blank cursor when I do it: tail -f /var/log/syslog  >> /boot/syslog.txt

tail -f /var/log/syslog

tail -f /var/log/syslog worked and live updates when I log in through another putty session.

Not sure what this one is supposed to do, but it just shows a blank cursor when I do it: tail -f /var/log/syslog  >> /boot/syslog.txt

That's exactly what's supposed to happen.  Its continually copying changes of the syslog to syslog.txt on the flash drive.  Exiting the command (ctrl-c) is going to abort it (and you probably don't want to do that)

tail -f /var/log/syslog

That's exactly what's supposed to happen.  Its continually copying changes of the syslog to syslog.txt on the flash drive.  Exiting the command (ctrl-c) is going to abort it (and you probably don't want to do that)

Got it. So why not just tail /var/log/syslog? are we writing it to /boot/syslog.txt just to have a file saved?

You're right, becuase I was on the wrong screen when it crashed this time and I couldn't get back to the tail screens... :(

Trying again with that >> tail running.

Isn't tailing syslog to boot what FCP Troubleshooting (mentioned in OP) does anyway?

FCP says that it only dumps to flash every 10 minutes. I'm assuming tail is live.

What updates /var/log/syslogs and how frequently?

FCP troubleshooting does a continual tail of the syslog as it changes, and every 10 minutes does some quick and dirty tests that it logs to the syslog, and every 30 minutes does a full diagnostics

Well i'm 52 minutes into preclear right now. last time it crashed at 53. At 60 mins I'm going to leave to do some stuff around town.

I have not changed anything since the last attempt, so I expect it to crash again but hopefully i can see what's wrong, though I doubt it!

Next think I will try is putting that drive on a mobo SATA port and not the PCIE SATA controller, but that might have to wait until another day.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry it's been so long, but I just didn't have time to work on this again until this morning.

It was still crashing, tailing the syslog would not produce and usable logs, as the system became completely unresponsive before anything got into the log.

So, this morning I moved the drive in question to a motherboard SATA port, instead of the SATA controller card port, and pre-read has been running for over EIGHT hours with no problems.

What gives? This is the IOCrest card I have: https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AZ9T3OU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o06_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I have another drive I'm going to try to preclear that is connected to that SATA card, but I'm pretty sure it's going to have problems.

Does anyone know what the problem is here? Never had issues with drives on that card otherwise.

Please let me know what you all think.

Bad Board?  Read the one star reviews.  That would be my guess at this point.  I do have one of its cousins and I have not had an issue with it.  (Marvell sells this chip to anyone and it is widely used.)  It seems to be hit-or-miss one getting a board that will work.  IF it is in warranty, you might see if you can exchange it.  Remember that the preclear operation will really work the card hard with all of the reads and writes. 

EDIT: Read This:    http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12404.msg485620#msg485620

Bad Board?  Read the one star reviews.  That would be my guess at this point.  I do have one of its cousins and I have not had an issue with it.  (Marvell sells this chip to anyone and it is widely used.)  It seems to be hit-or-miss one getting a board that will work.  IF it is in warranty, you might see if you can exchange it.  Remember that the preclear operation will really work the card hard with all of the reads and writes. 

EDIT: Read This:    http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=12404.msg485620#msg485620

Guess I could try a better heatsink. It does get pretty damned hot.

Soon I'm going to need something with more than 4 ports, though. Have any suggestions?