New NAS, getting rid of Apple TV 3

vurt

Hi all, registered to seek your collective wisdom.

I have an old Buffalo Linkstation Duo with one 1TB hard drive, an Apple TV 3, and a Samsung UN46EH5000 46-Inch 1080p 60Hz LED HDTV, basically a non-smart TV.

Apple TV 3 is limiting because the laptop needs to be on, video formats are restricted, and I need to put everything into iTunes. The Buffalo NAS' cpu is too weak to do much with media. I'm currently running a custom firmware with Plex Media Server on it, tried to watch something on Chrome browser and it's having difficulty serving up shows with subtitles, probably because PMS needs to transcode. I watch all my shows with subtitles.

I started out looking at Qnap but it looks like I can get more building my own NAS. Then I stumbled on a post about unRaid, Emby, and Kodi so I've been trying to read up on those stuff.

I'm keen to build a single box that would be an NAS that plugs into my TV via HDMI.

1) Is this advisable?

Or why not? Is running two boxes more of a purist thing or for future upgradability? If I were to look into a set top box should I get Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 3? What's the advantage of that over a Roku or some other ready-made box?

2) The Qnap TVS-471 came highly recommended but it averages at USD 1,000. So I found a 2015 sample build and incorporated the same CPU.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($128.98 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($122.55 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($38.98 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($149.99 @ Newegg)

Storage: Western Digital Red 4TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($149.99 @ Newegg)

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($98.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $883.44

This is what prompted me to register to seek your advice!

Is that a good build?

Is it overkill, can I go cheaper?

Should I swap any parts since this build is from 2015?

Should I use a different cpu to "future proof"?

Should I use a different motherboard and cpu altogether so I can upgrade in future? (Not sure how much life is left with the LGA1150 socket, just read the LGA1151 succeeds it.)

Am I missing anything else?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm keen to build a single box that would be an NAS that plugs into my TV via HDMI.

1) Is this advisable?

Or why not? Is running two boxes more of a purist thing or for future upgradability? If I were to look into a set top box should I get Kodi running on Raspberry Pi 3? What's the advantage of that over a Roku or some other ready-made box?

The idea of one box to serve as both an unRaid server, and a "set top box" is surely an appealing one.  However, the only way to combine these functions into a single machine (as far as I know) is to use virtualization.  unRaid, in its most basic form, cannot act as a client device (like a roku, etc).  It runs headless, and is configured via web gui, similar to a Qnap or Buffalo device (but much better  ;D).  However, unRaid supports virtualization, so what you can do is build a virtual machine with the operating system of your choice, such as Windows.  Install a video card in your machine, and pass through that video card to your virtual machine.  Plug that video card into your TV, and you have a Windows virtual machine using your television as the monitor.  One huge caveat to all of this though.  You have to buy a processor that supports IOMMU, and core-i3's do not.  Most 4th gen core-i5's and core-i7's do, and so do xeons.  Obviously this can drive up the cost (and complexity) of your system.

The easier choice?  Use a cheap little <$100 set top box such as a Roku, FireTV, Chromecast, Nexus Player, AppleTV 4th gen, etc.  Build your unRaid server, then install Plex Media Server, either by plugin, or docker.  Launch the Plex client app on your set top box, and you're done.  Heck, you might even be able to jailbreak your current Apple TV and install the plex client.  I've seen others do that successfully.

2) The Qnap TVS-471 came highly recommended but it averages at USD 1,000. So I found a 2015 sample build and incorporated the same CPU.

Qnap, Synology, Drobo, etc. offer great products, but they're painfully overpriced for the average user.  As you've already seen, you can get much, much more for your dollar.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i3-4150 3.5GHz Dual-Core Processor  ($128.98 @ Newegg)

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H97N-WIFI Mini ITX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($122.55 @ Newegg)

Memory: G.Skill Sniper 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($38.98 @ Newegg)

Case: Fractal Design Node 304 Mini ITX Tower Case  ($98.98 @ Newegg)

Power Supply: SeaSonic 350W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($43.98 @ Newegg)

Total: $883.44

This is what prompted me to register to seek your advice!

Is that a good build?

Is it overkill, can I go cheaper?

Should I swap any parts since this build is from 2015?

Should I use a different cpu to "future proof"?

Should I use a different motherboard and cpu altogether so I can upgrade in future? (Not sure how much life is left with the LGA1150 socket, just read the LGA1151 succeeds it.)

Am I missing anything else?

I don't see anything blaringly wrong with your build.  A couple suggestions though:

1.  You should be able to get a cpu/mobo combo using an 1151 socket for about the same price as an 1150 socket.  For futureproofing, I'd recommend the newer platform.  One caveat to this, is that your RAM will cost more, since you'd be using DDR4, instead of DDR3.  On the upside, your RAM will have much more bandwidth.

2.  I get the appeal of a cute little mini-itx build, I really do, but I've learned the hard way, you end up cornering yourself in the long run, from a hardware perspective.  What if you need to add more drives (I know you have space for 2 more, but still)?  Additional PCIe devices?  More RAM?  It's very easy to max out a mini-ITX board, so I always recommend going with, at least, a mATX board.  To each their own though, just my opinion.

The idea of one box to serve as both an unRaid server, and a "set top box" is surely an appealing one.  However, the only way to combine these functions into a single machine (as far as I know) is to use virtualization.  unRaid, in its most basic form, cannot act as a client device (like a roku, etc).  It runs headless, and is configured via web gui, similar to a Qnap or Buffalo device (but much better  ;D).  However, unRaid supports virtualization, so what you can do is build a virtual machine with the operating system of your choice, such as Windows.  Install a video card in your machine, and pass through that video card to your virtual machine.  Plug that video card into your TV, and you have a Windows virtual machine using your television as the monitor.  One huge caveat to all of this though.  You have to buy a processor that supports IOMMU, and core-i3's do not.  Most 4th gen core-i5's and core-i7's do, and so do xeons.  Obviously this can drive up the cost (and complexity) of your system.

The easier choice?  Use a cheap little <$100 set top box such as a Roku, FireTV, Chromecast, Nexus Player, AppleTV 4th gen, etc.  Build your unRaid server, then install Plex Media Server, either by plugin, or docker.  Launch the Plex client app on your set top box, and you're done.  Heck, you might even be able to jailbreak your current Apple TV and install the plex client.  I've seen others do that successfully.

I've very new to this so maybe I'm confused. (I'm basing my concept of the all-in-one box from looking at Qnap's offerings.)

Maybe I'm misunderstanding how the software parts come together. I would install unRaid first, then Emby Docker, and then a Kodi Docker.

The NAS will connect via HDMI to the TV.

I would be able to watch stuff on my NAS -> HDMI -> TV via Kodi?

I don't see anything blaringly wrong with your build.  A couple suggestions though:

1.  You should be able to get a cpu/mobo combo using an 1151 socket for about the same price as an 1150 socket.  For futureproofing, I'd recommend the newer platform.  One caveat to this, is that your RAM will cost more, since you'd be using DDR4, instead of DDR3.  On the upside, your RAM will have much more bandwidth.

Ok that's great to know, that's exactly the kinda watch-outs I was hoping to learn from the forum.

2.  I get the appeal of a cute little mini-itx build, I really do, but I've learned the hard way, you end up cornering yourself in the long run, from a hardware perspective.  What if you need to add more drives (I know you have space for 2 more, but still)?  Additional PCIe devices?  More RAM?  It's very easy to max out a mini-ITX board, so I always recommend going with, at least, a mATX board.  To each their own though, just my opinion.

I understand expandability options are always good but I would really like to keep it small. My current Buffalo NAS is 2-bay and measures 3.4 x 5.1 x 8.1 in (W x H x D), and I've survived many years on 1TB  ;D

3 x 4TB in unRaid would give me 8TB?

The Node 304 has 6 bays so I'd have 3 more slots to expand to ...

I use Roku's and iPads as my players so I can't comment on Kodi/Emby - other than to say make sure the Dockers are client side functionality rather than server and can drive that HDMI port.

A Core i3-4150 has a Passmark score of 4880.  This should be fully sufficient to take care of unRAID's basic needs and a single 1080p stream... and yet I'd recommend going a little higher if possible - I like the 4370 or 6100 as a starting point for a Plex transcoding server.  If you want to support more than one 1080p stream then let us know what you are thinking.

Yes, 3x4TB will give you 8TB usable.

I'd strongly recommend an SFX power supply in a mini-ITX case.  Something like the Silverstone or the Corsair.  They give you a lot more room for routing your wires.  You can pick the wattage on each to meet your needs.

I use Roku's and iPads as my players so I can't comment on Kodi/Emby - other than to say make sure the Dockers are client side functionality rather than server and can drive that HDMI port.

Can you expand on the "Dockers are client side functionality"? If I'm installing the Kodi onto unRaid and it's playing media off the NAS wouldn't everything be server side? My non-smart TV is just a display?

A Core i3-4150 has a Passmark score of 4880.  This should be fully sufficient to take care of unRAID's basic needs and a single 1080p stream... and yet I'd recommend going a little higher if possible - I like the 4370 or 6100 as a starting point for a Plex transcoding server.  If you want to support more than one 1080p stream then let us know what you are thinking.

Thanks I will use a 4370 or 6100 as minimum and also look into LGA1151 options.

I'd strongly recommend an SFX power supply in a mini-ITX case.  Something like the Silverstone or the Corsair.  They give you a lot more room for routing your wires.  You can pick the wattage on each to meet your needs.

That's good to know too, thanks for the tip! Power supply wasn't on my list of research and I didn't consider their sizes, I assumed if they fit in the case they're small enough.

What tdallen is trying to say is that these dockers are generally the server components of the solution.  Take plex for example, the Plex docker gives you a plex server. To actually watch anything you need a plex client. I am not aware of a plex client docker. To use unRaid as a Plex client as well as server you would install a VM of your choice that can run the client.

But for that your hardware needs to support visualisation.

I hope this helps.

Let me try to explain better.  unRaid can't be your client device.  Think of it just like your Buffalo Linkstation.  In order to configure it, you had to launch a browser from another device, like a laptop, right?  You couldn't connect it to a TV.  unRaid is the same.  Unfortunately, you can't just connect a TV/Monitor to unRaid (if you do, you'll see nothing but a command prompt).  The only exception to this, is to go the route of creating a Virtual Machine.

I just looked up that QNAP box you referenced, and I honestly didn't know they made a NAS that also connected to a television/monitor for media playback.  Pretty cool.  Still waaaaaaay too expensive, but cool, nonetheless.  Unfortunately, unRaid is not the same.  It is designed to operate "headless".  unRaid will act as the server, but you'll still need a separate client device.

Ok I understand Plex requires Plex Media Server and a Plex app to receive the video..

From what I've read, Emby is the server component that can be installed onto unRaid, and Kodi is the media player frontend.

Plex, Emby, and Kodi are all similar, but different software.

Plex involves a server, and a client, both produced by the same company.  The server will run on unRaid, and the client device (FireTV, Roku, etc) will have a "Plex app" that talks to the server running on unRaid.

Emby is very similar to Plex.  Emby server will run on unRaid, and there is an Emby app that will run on the client device.

Kodi is slightly different, in that it doesn't use a server at all.  It is a client-only application that simply uses stored media, either on a local hard drive, or network drive.  All of the library organizing, and transcoding, is done within the same application.

They all have their advantages/disadvantages, but the biggest difference is where the transcoding happens.  With Plex or Emby, the transcoding happens on the server, so your client device doesn't need to have much computing power.  With Kodi, if transcoding is needed, the client device will have to be powerful enough to do it.  The advantage to Kodi is that it is completely open-source, highly customizable, and has a huge support community, and a ton of plugins as well.

For the most part, these applications don't interact with each other, but there are kodi plugins that allow it to talk to plex/emby servers.

Let me try to explain better.  unRaid can't be your client device.  Think of it just like your Buffalo Linkstation.  In order to configure it, you had to launch a browser from another device, like a laptop, right?  You couldn't connect it to a TV.  unRaid is the same.  Unfortunately, you can't just connect a TV/Monitor to unRaid (if you do, you'll see nothing but a command prompt).  The only exception to this, is to go the route of creating a Virtual Machine.

Maybe I've hugely misunderstood how the software comes together.

I had thought unRaid will give me a GUI that lets me install a Docker and I'm thinking of a Docker as a plug-in.

I think that's how Qnap boxes work. The box comes with a desktop called the QTS which lets you install stuff like Plex Media Server.

How would this unRaid/Emby/Kodi set up I read here work? http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41207.0

Plex, Emby, and Kodi are all similar, but different software.

Plex involves a server, and a client, both produced by the same company.  The server will run on unRaid, and the client device (FireTV, Roku, etc) will have a "Plex app" that talks to the server running on unRaid.

Emby is very similar to Plex.  Emby server will run on unRaid, and there is an Emby app that will run on the client device.

Kodi is slightly different, in that it doesn't use a server at all.  It is a client-only application that simply uses stored media, either on a local hard drive, or network drive.  All of the library organizing, and transcoding, is done within the same application.

They all have their advantages/disadvantages, but the biggest difference is where the transcoding happens.  With Plex or Emby, the transcoding happens on the server, so your client device doesn't need to have much computing power.  With Kodi, if transcoding is needed, the client device will have to be powerful enough to do it.  The advantage to Kodi is that it is completely open-source, highly customizable, and has a huge support community, and a ton of plugins as well.

For the most part, these applications don't interact with each other, but there are kodi plugins that allow it to talk to plex/emby servers.

Yeah I understand there is a plugin that allows Kodi to talk to Emby, so Kodi will treat Emby as though it is its database.

So you're saying unRaid exists on the NAS, Emby runs on unRaid on the NAS, and Kodi has to run on a separate box like a Raspberry Pi 3?

Maybe I've hugely misunderstood how the software comes together.

I had thought unRaid will give me a GUI that lets me install a Docker and I'm thinking of a Docker as a plug-in.

I think that's how Qnap boxes work. The box comes with a desktop called the QTS which lets you install stuff like Plex Media Server.

How would this unRaid/Emby/Kodi set up I read here work? http://lime-technology.com/forum/index.php?topic=41207.0

You haven't hugely misunderstood.  unRaid does, in fact, give you a GUI that lets you install a Docker container.  The confusing part is that the GUI is web-based, and has to be accessed from a different device.  It's similar to your router.  if you open up a browser and go to your local address, like 192.168.0.1, for example, you'll see a web page showing you all your router's settings and configuration.  unRaid is the same.  Let's say your unRaid machine's ip address is 192.168.0.100.  If you get on your laptop, phone, tablet, etc, and go to http://192.168.0.100/Main, you'll see unRaid's gui.

Ok that's a bit frustrating, so there's no way I can build a single NAS/HTPC box.

It seems a media box is not too expensive if I do it with a Raspberry Pi 3 and I can install OpenElec which is Kodi on it—would that be the recommended route?

So the setup will be [NAS with unRaid and Emby] -> [Raspberry Pi 3 with OpenElec] -> TV?

Ok that's a bit frustrating, so there's no way I can build a single NAS/HTPC box.

Not without going the route of virtualization, sorry.

It seems a media box is not too expensive if I do it with a Raspberry Pi 3 and I can install OpenElec which is Kodi on it—would that be the recommended route?

So the setup will be [NAS with unRaid and Emby] -> [Raspberry Pi 3 with OpenElec] -> TV?

That's one way to go.  I'd still try to jailbreak your Apple TV 3 and get Plex client running on it.  Zero dollars.

That's how I do it, and it works very well.

But there is an alternative that lets you achieve an all-in-one nas/htpc. It's slightly more complicated though...

If your hardware supports it, you can run openelec as a virtual machine under unRaid, effectively turning your NAS into a server and client at the same time.

For this to work, both your CPU and motherboard must support virtualization with vt-d. You'll need at least an i5 for this, make sure to check the specs for vt-d support as not all of them have it.

You also need a separate graphics card for the openelec VM.

You might want some other parts too, like an IR receiver for a remote control, but it's not required.

Something else to be aware of if you go  down this path and also stick with the node 304: you're limited to a mini-ITX motherboard. These only have one pci slot, which the extra graphics card will occupy. This leads to two things:

1. Your CPU must have integrated graphics for unRaid to use

2. You can't add any more expander cards if you need more sata ports etc. in the future

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's how I do it, and it works very well.

But there is an alternative that lets you achieve an all-in-one nas/htpc. It's slightly more complicated though...

If your hardware supports it, you can run openelec as a virtual machine under unRaid, effectively turning your NAS into a server and client at the same time.

For this to work, both your CPU and motherboard must support virtualization with vt-d. You'll need at least an i5 for this, make sure to check the specs for vt-d support as not all of them have it.

You also need a separate graphics card for the openelec VM.

Yep that's what I was saying.  vt-d is intel's version of IOMMU support.

I don't know what file formats you want to play but I would try to get a mediaplayer that can play those formats natively.

Think Popcorn Hour or Dune or perhaps Mede8er.

That way you don't need to use Plex to transcode and run run Kodi and don't need to use virtualization.

Let your unraid server just be a server, you also don't need a more expensive CPU with vt-d, although it won't hurt off course.

You could use a motherboard with IPMI for remote manageability and run the server completely headless. Check ebay for an used Supermicro X9SCM-F with supported CPU.

Something else to be aware of if you go  down this path and also stick with the node 304: you're limited to a mini-ITX motherboard. These only have one pci slot, which the extra graphics card will occupy. This leads to two things:

1. Your CPU must have integrated graphics for unRaid to use

2. You can't add any more expander cards if you need more sata ports etc. in the future

Yeah I'm aware of the limitations, I was looking for a small box. I figured going from one 1TB in my current Buffalo NAS to 8TB if I get 3 x 4TB in unRaid will last me a while and I will still have 3 empty bays to expand.

I don't know what file formats you want to play but I would try to get a mediaplayer that can play those formats natively.

That way you don't need to use Plex to transcode and run run Kodi and don't need to use virtualization.

Let your unraid server just be a server, you also don't need a more expensive CPU with vt-d, although it won't hurt off course.

You could use a motherboard with IPMI for remote manageability and run the server completely headless. Check ebay for an used Supermicro X9SCM-F with supported CPU.

Actually nothing fancy since I don't have a home theater set up. The usual MKV and other video formats but I need subtitles. No fancy surround sound.

What prompted all this is the limitations of Apple TV 3 and iTunes.

After running PMS on my Buffalo NAS I realized the NAS is not powerful enough for PMS to do subtitles plus I just want to get a new NAS.

I thought about getting Plex app onto ATV3 but I'm not sure if that can solve what I need, that is to play MKV files and subtitles.

Actually nothing fancy since I don't have a home theater set up. The usual MKV and other video formats but I need subtitles. No fancy surround sound.

What prompted all this is the limitations of Apple TV 3 and iTunes.

After running PMS on my Buffalo NAS I realized the NAS is not powerful enough for PMS to do subtitles plus I just want to get a new NAS.

I thought about getting Plex app onto ATV3 but I'm not sure if that can solve what I need, that is to play MKV files and subtitles.

dikkiedirk makes a good point about media formats that don't need to transcode, but if you always have subtitles on, you will always be transcoding, unless the subtitles are "burned in", which is not usually the case.  If the subtitles are a separate track, then the video will need to be transcoded.

I thought I'd throw in one last plug for going the route of virtualization.  Long story short, it's pretty darned easy.  I knew NOTHING of virtualization 6 months ago.  unRaid makes it very, very easy to get going.  Check out the video below, to see just how easy it is to get a virtual machine up and running.  The example in the video is for Windows, but if you want a different os, such as linux, openElec, etc, it's just as easy (or most likely even easier).

Oh, and I was also looking at the intel ark website, and you're in luck, the 6th generation core-i3's now have hyperthreading support, and support for vt-d (IOMMU)!  That's pretty darned awesome, and now you can build your system to support virtualization (even if you don't use it initially), as long as you go with the 1151 platform.  You can get a core-i3 6320 for $159 on Newegg (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819117621).  That processor has over 6000 passmarks, so transcoding would be a breeze.

Since you're pretty set on that small case, keep in mind that if you go the virtualization route, you'll need to buy a graphics card as well.  No biggie here, almost any inexpensive card will work, just make sure that it's "slim", so it'll fit in your Node304 case.  You should be able to find one for under $50.  Between the slightly more expensive processor, more expensive ddr4 ram, and video card, I just increased your budget by about $100, but I also think you could find a motherboard cheaper than you originally budgeted.  Take a look at this Newegg filter for mITX 1151 mobos: http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&IsNodeId=1&N=100007627%20600567584%20600009028.  As you can see, there are lots of options for under $100.

Thanks a lot for your help De1taE1even, a lot to research and process. Stuff like IPMI and VTD, IOMMU are completely foreign to me, gonna have to google around.

To be honest I'm getting worried this is a bit overwhelming.

The separate NAS and media box route seems to be the simplest. I also have to factor in the usability of the GUI for my non-techie girlfriend. Fairly certain she won't have the patience nor interest to launch a VM in unRaid so she can Netflix or play a video. Took her a few tries just to differentiate Netflix from local media in the Apple TV UI!

Thanks a lot for your help De1taE1even, a lot to research and process. Stuff like IPMI and VTD, IOMMU are completely foreign to me, gonna have to google around.

To be honest I'm getting worried this is a bit overwhelming.

Don't worry, I didn't know anything about this stuff not long ago either.  It's a lot to take in at first, but it's honestly not too bad after you research a bit, and get more familiar with the concept.  A word of suggestion: Stick to the unRaid forums and youtube videos for the majority of your virtualization knowledge.  Not to say there isn't more info out there, there is a TON of it, but many of the other forums out there get pretty "down in the weeds" and complicated pretty quickly.  The advantage of unRaid, as you'll see in the video I posted, is that you don't have to be a subject matter expert to get things running.  unRaid makes it very user friendly.

The separate NAS and media box route seems to be the simplest. I also have to factor in the usability of the GUI for my non-techie girlfriend. Fairly certain she won't have the patience nor interest to launch a VM in unRaid so she can Netflix or play a video. Took her a few tries just to differentiate Netflix from local media in the Apple TV UI!

Once you get things set up the way you want them using the unRaid GUI, you'll never/very rarely have to access it at all.  Your girlfriend won't have to at all.  Once the VM is running, it'll run all the time.  Any time you turn on your TV, you'll see the VM.  No need to "spin it up".  Super simple!  :)

Once you get things set up the way you want them using the unRaid GUI, you'll never/very rarely have to access it at all.  Your girlfriend won't have to at all.  Once the VM is running, it'll run all the time.  Any time you turn on your TV, you'll see the VM.  No need to "spin it up".  Super simple!  :)

That's pretty cool. Have you had any heat issues running a VM all the time? And a separate graphics card is a must?

You can do exactly what you want to do with the right hardware and unRAID. I know because that's what I do.

I run unRAID 6.1.9 and various dockers, one being the plex media server docker.

Then I also run a Plex Media Player VM which is connected to my home theater.

Works fine, with the right hardware you can even stream 7.1 audio (I do).

Get a cheap nVidia GT card. Make sure the CPU and motherboard support PCI device passthroug (vt-d) and get a cache drive. See my setup for details for an inexpensive, small, quiet server that can do what you want.