**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

I am not able to get this working and dont know why. I thought I missed something and went through the entire setup 4 times. I missed nothing. I've been at this for days. Before I give up on it, can anyone help?

FYI - I have Mojave in a VMWare Workstation VM (vmdk). This is what I used to perform all the steps in the guide.

I read that a USB incompatability is the cause and usbinjectall.kext may be needed to fix this. I dont know what to do from here.

in some cases the vm will start clover and select the install option, then it will reboot (this happens over and over)

OR in other cases

I can boot clover just fine...

clover-menu-installer.png.0befb9d659eb5490dac2958911c89d3b.png

when I select the installation an apple logo shows a progress bar then I get this.

7R1Ej.png.bf9e79c044d869d9c160daa691be131b.png

Edited by smaka510

Is it possible once this is all installed and working to turn resolution down in bios at Cloverleaf? Using VM with VNC is challenging as resolution is set so high. I know it setup before first boot it has to be set as whatever but after up and running can it be scaled down? Looked through monitor options in High Sierra and doesn’t appear it can be turned down in OSX itself.

Any help would be sweeeet!

Thanks!

2 hours ago, blaine07 said:

Is it possible once this is all installed and working to turn resolution down in bios at Cloverleaf? Using VM with VNC is challenging as resolution is set so high. I know it setup before first boot it has to be set as whatever but after up and running can it be scaled down? Looked through monitor options in High Sierra and doesn’t appear it can be turned down in OSX itself.

Any help would be sweeeet!

Thanks!

yes, change in the tianocore bios.

• Like 1
51 minutes ago, 1812 said:

Something the same or less of the monitor you are using to access it with.

I just got home and unfortunately this doesn't work. Makes images "ghost" and do 2-3 of the loading progress bars across screen. Is it maybe possible/necessary to use Clover to change what type of device it is? (No idea if that's even possible but I know now it thinks its a 27" 4k iMac; maybe possible to change it in Clover to think it's a rMBP or something?)

Any other ideas mate?

3 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

I just got home and unfortunately this doesn't work. Makes images "ghost" and do 2-3 of the loading progress bars across screen. Is it maybe possible/necessary to use Clover to change what type of device it is? (No idea if that's even possible but I know now it thinks its a 27" 4k iMac; maybe possible to change it in Clover to think it's a rMBP or something?)

Any other ideas mate?

don't worry about the loading image having multiple images. mine freaks out sometimes and tiles a few until the graphics driver loads the login window.

What I described is how I've always done it when I"m setting up one for remoting access/vnc only.

don't worry about the loading image having multiple images. mine freaks out sometimes and tiles a few until the graphics driver loads the login window.

What I described is how I've always done it when I"m setting up one for remoting access/vnc only.

+10pts to you; your right, I’m wrong. Just extremely WEIRD graphically until I got logged in. Stayed that way until I entered password.

Sorry, I doubted you.

Thanks again mate! A MUCH more manageable size now!!! :-)

Edit: AHH just continues to look weird on VNC on Unraid; looks fine through VNC from ANY other device. Weird it’s like that. I don’t depend on VNC on Unraid server much so

Still having horrendous graphical issues(High Sierra)—hard to explain; not entirely sure how to proceed. Goes pixelated a lot and appears to “freeze up”

For 15-30sec upon doing much on screen. Google starts talking about KEXT and a bunch of stuff I don’t understand but what I DO understand is 4mb of GPU VRAM isn’t enough.

Can someone please break this down into something I can follow/do/understand?

b9a95601e33e77530e401666b5c3093c.jpg&key=78b8d6d52e3f84def6f57c87ffa0bbad02e65b00f60fe317380b711c39702904

Edit: it appears my motherboard in Unraid server has “Intel HD Graphics” but not finding any other details?

On 2/10/2019 at 12:20 AM, smaka510 said:

I am not able to get this working and dont know why. I thought I missed something and went through the entire setup 4 times. I missed nothing. I've been at this for days. Before I give up on it, can anyone help?

FYI - I have Mojave in a VMWare Workstation VM (vmdk). This is what I used to perform all the steps in the guide.

I read that a USB incompatability is the cause and usbinjectall.kext may be needed to fix this. I dont know what to do from here.

in some cases the vm will start clover and select the install option, then it will reboot (this happens over and over)

OR in other cases

I can boot clover just fine...

clover-menu-installer.png.0befb9d659eb5490dac2958911c89d3b.png

when I select the installation an apple logo shows a progress bar then I get this.

7R1Ej.png.bf9e79c044d869d9c160daa691be131b.png

Anyone have any ideas?

Still having horrendous graphical issues(High Sierra)—hard to explain; not entirely sure how to proceed. Goes pixelated a lot and appears to “freeze up”
For 15-30sec upon doing much on screen. Google starts talking about KEXT and a bunch of stuff I don’t understand but what I DO understand is 4mb of GPU VRAM isn’t enough.

Can someone please break this down into something I can follow/do/understand?

b9a95601e33e77530e401666b5c3093c.jpg&key=78b8d6d52e3f84def6f57c87ffa0bbad02e65b00f60fe317380b711c39702904

Edit: it appears my motherboard in Unraid server has “Intel HD Graphics” but not finding any other details?

Well thinking I did something wrong I started over and installed Mojave. Same issue; 4mb of Video vram. Makes a sour experience. In SpaceInvaders video he shows same 7/4mb deal but uses a external graphic card. Wondering if I need to change device to something other than 18,3 iMac as he has in video. Further investigation shows I BELIEVE I have Intel HD4400 graphics. Google found me stuff to do but not sure what’s safe/right and what’s not.

Any help or advice would be awesome! :-)

354180ceb247d74fff7d9f23d5e906e1.jpg
7 hours ago, blaine07 said:

Wondering if I need to change device to something other than 18,3 iMac as he has in video.

I use 14,2 on high Sierra and Mojave.

Maybe I missed it, but are you trying to passthrough onboard graphics? and if so, have you isolated it from unRaid properly?

6 minutes ago, blaine07 said:

Yes trying to pass through onboard as OS X On shows I have 4mb of Nvram and has a lot of tearing and graphical glitches.

post your xml for the vm and complete system diagnostics (tools>diagnostics) What you're showing us appears to be vnc connection and not GPU output.

post your xml for the vm and complete system diagnostics (tools>diagnostics) What you're showing us appears to be vnc connection and not GPU output.

It also doesn’t help that I’m not 100% on what onboard graphics. It’s a Lenovo TS140 Unraid Server. One place says Intel HD4400 onboard; another place says p4400?

Any way you know or for me to confirm onboard graphics, too mate?
5 hours ago, blaine07 said:

It also doesn’t help that I’m not 100% on what onboard graphics. It’s a Lenovo TS140 Unraid Server. One place says Intel HD4400 onboard; another place says p4400?

Any way you know or for me to confirm onboard graphics, too mate?

I was going to look at  identifying that for you in your diagnostics. 

But if you want to check, go to tools>system devices and look for VGA devices.

6 hours ago, blaine07 said:

Hopefully I’m doing this right...

Mojave VM XML- https://cloud.blainej.net/index.php/s/7NyaHYn7wejxmR4

Diagnostics- https://cloud.blainej.net/index.php/s/Qbn5PRxZr7P2g5e

Thanks mate!

I'm a bit pinched for time but here is some info: You do not have a GPU assigned to your vm, only vnc connection. So your reported 4mb "GPU" is reporting correctly.  You have assigned an audio device (00:1b.0) the xml line looks like this:

<address domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1b' function='0x0'/>

find it and replace with

<address domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0'/>

and then delete

<graphics type='vnc' port='5900' autoport='yes' websocket='5700' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <alias name='video0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>

Save the xml.

Then try booting with a monitor attached. It may look glitched out until the boot screen or may be perfect. Or may show nothing. If you get an error via unRaid, report back. I didn't have time to try and lookup the model and see if OSX will run it or not, but sometimes you gotta shoot from the hip and try things. If this is the only GPU in your system, you may have to isolate it from unRaid with vfio.pcids.

Edited by 1812

Save the xml.

Then try booting with a monitor attached. It may look glitched out until the boot screen or may be perfect. Or may show nothing. If you get an error via unRaid, report back. I didn't have time to try and lookup the model and see if OSX will run it or not, but sometimes you gotta shoot from the hip and try things. If this is the only GPU in your system, you may have to isolate it from unRaid with vfio.pcids.

Audio is passing through and working fine; should I still meddle with it if working? Will try video in just a few.
2 hours ago, 1812 said:

You can replace it for now, or if you know how to add the complete hostdev section, then do that for the VGA.

Well, with all do respects suggested code changes above ended disastrously. Once I fired up VM with the changes made the Unraid Server screen flickered and went kapoot. Didn't crash server, the OSX Mojave VM DID boot and function; at the expense of monitor on Unraid server itself. However in doing those changes the Mojave VM just didn't show ANYTHING at all for a video card. On the "about this mac" page it was just "blank" where the video card information would've been populated. 😞

Next suggestions?