**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

Any advice on a GPU that will work with Catalina?

My priority is that it works (video and audio) reliably. No bugs.

What would be the best bet, which GPU will remain supported with the upcoming MacOS version?

Performance is secondary, but I need a GPU and I'd like it to be reliable 🙂

9 minutes ago, david279 said:

I'm doing 1440p at 144hz right now using Display port. I have Rx 570.

Thank you. I originally got an Nvidia Quadro P400 for HW transcoding but I am not going to use it for that, just for passthrough. Might make sense to sell this and just get an AMD card since it has better compatibility. 

• 3 months later...
On 1/31/2018 at 2:36 PM, CHBMB said:

So findings so far....

1st Card - AUKEY 4 Ports PCI-E To USB 3.0 Expansion Card

Chipset: VL805

Findings:  Got an error in my syslog during boot and card was unable to be used either natively in Linux or passed through to Windows or OSX VM

2nd Card - Anker Uspeed PCI-E to USB 3.0 2-Port Express Card

Chipset: VL805

Findings:  Got an error in my syslog during boot and card was unable to be used either natively in Linux or passed through to Windows or OSX VM

3rd Card - Sienoc USB3.0 7Port PCI Express Card

Chipset: - Renesas D720201

Findings: Worked natively in Linux or passed through to Windows, but not detected by OSX VM

4th Card - Inateck KTU3FR-5O2I

Chipset: Fresco FL1100

Findings:  Worked natively in Linux, and worked beautifully in Windows or OSX VMs, able to use my hardware KVM switch with either, but unable to power my server off with the card plugged in, as soon as it powered off, it powered on again.  @aptalca has had the same issue with a Fresco FL1100 card and we both have Supermicro motherboards.

5th Card - ORICO USB3.0 4 Port PCI Express to USB3.0 Host Controller Card (PME-4U)

Chipset: Fresco FL1100

Findings:  Worked natively in Linux, and worked beautifully in Windows or OSX VMs, able to use my hardware KVM switch with either, but unable to power my server off with the card plugged in, as soon as it powered off, it powered on again.  @aptalca has had the same issue with a Fresco FL1100 card and we both have Supermicro motherboards.  I ordered this one to try and exclude the possibility it was an inherent Inateck fault, but after testing this one, I think we can conclude there is an issue with the FL1100 chipset and Supermicro boards.

6th Card - KALEA-INFORMATIQUE Controller Card PCI Express (PCI-E) to 3.1 USB

Chipset: Asmedia ASM1142

Findings:  Success!!  Works in Windows 10, works in OSX, allows my server to powerdown and stay down.

Other possibilities:  Well I'm running out of chipsets to try, only thing I could consider is an expensive Sonnet card which uses the Fresco FL1100 chipset but had four controllers on the card which can in theory be split amongst VMs so one controller to each VM.  I don't hold out much hope this will actually work well given it's got four of the damned chips that won't let me powerdown in the first place. :o

One other thing I did try was using the Renesas based chipset to boot from and passed through my native USB ports, that didn't work well.  Not sure why, but I might investigate that a bit more if I have no other options.

Conclusion

If youi've got a Supermicro motherboard, then Asmedia ASM1142 based USB cards are the way to go, for any other motherboard, then either the Asmedia ASM1142 chipset or the more common Fresco Logic FL1100 based cards would be fine, but if you notice that you have issues with powering down, the card may well be the culprit and try an Asmedia card instead.

It's been..... emotional :)

I have a Renesas USB card and can't believe this is the culprit to this issue.... thanks for finding this.

Now I would like to replace mine but I only see 2 usb slot cards with the ASM1142 and only one Startech at over $100.

Are there any other options that are known to work? is there a compatibility matrix for this? I am using a Supermicro board

5 hours ago, ceyo14 said:

Now I would like to replace mine but I only see 2 usb slot cards with the ASM1142 and only one Startech at over $100.

Hi,

I would go for the inatec, good cards, compatible and cheap.

The Startech is expensive but it's another card with more chipsets compared to the chaper ones.

You can choose any of these, depending on your needs:

Inatec KT4004 - 4 usb 3.0 external ports with power connector - Fresco chipset

Inatec KT4006 - 2 usb 3.0 external ports + 2 usb 3.0 internal ports (to be connected with an extension cable (not provided) to the front of the case for example) - no power connector - Fresco chipset

There's a lso Inatec KTU3FR-5O2I (5 usb 3.0 external ports + 2 usb 3.0 internal ports + power connector): however this card has the Fresco chipset and VLI chipset and I'm not sure that the VLI chipset works out of the box.

I have the Inatec KT4006 and it works good in my catalina and big sur, just connect and passthrough.

Update: sorry, I read now that you have supermicro, the op reported some issue with supermicro+inatec, so not sure..however he reported issues with the KTU3FR-5O2I, which has the vli chipset too as I wrote. All I can say is that the fl1100 fresco chipset works out of the box and the listed cards have only the fresco chipset.

Edited by ghost82
  • Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...

UPDATE!!

Guys I was reading around and found this link on some forum https://forum.level1techs.com/t/attention-flr-kernel-patch-fixes-usb-audio-passthrough-issues-on-agesa-1-0-0-4b/151877

edit.... umm that some forum was this same forum... lol. here is the link to that.

basically I added this pcie_no_flr=1912:0014 to the syslinux config and can now reboot the VM with the Renesas controller passedthrough...

Try it and let me know how it goes.

@CHBMB I know you tried a lot of controllers... but give this a try since you have a much better understanding of this.

Edited by ceyo14

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Unraid, but I'm testing MOJAVE in VM like on the EspaceInvaderOne video. my installation in fact I have access to the desktop and then I stop my VM to be able to edit certain parameters.

I change my 2 CPUs to 6 and I remove the line <topology sockets = '1' dies = '1' cores = '2' threads = '1' />

I add well at the end

<qemu: arg value = '- usb' />

<qemu: arg value = '- device' />

<qemu: arg value = 'usb-kbd, bus = usb-bus.0' />

<qemu: arg value = 'isa-applesmc, osk = x />

<qemu: arg value = '- smbios' />

<qemu: arg value = 'type = 2' /> <qemu: arg value = '- cpu' />

<qemu: arg value = 'Penryn, kvm = on, vendor = GenuineIntel, + invtsc, vmware-cpuid-freq = on, + pcid, + ssse3, + sse4.2, + popcnt, + avx, + aes, + xsave , + xsaveopt, check '/>

</ qemu: commandline>

and also I replace the network card: vmxnet3 replace with e1000-82545em

I validate and I restart. I always arrive well on the mojave desktop but in 800x600. normal, I have not yet selected my RX580. Well, no matter how much I choose my RX580 card, each time I validate it automatically takes VNC: isn't it what I have to boot UNRAID from the GUI?

what is still strange, I changed my SMBIOS to MACpro 5.1 by clover configurator that I had downloaded on the desktop , seeing that it is this version that I use in Native OSX MOJAVE on an SSD, but the processor is still recognized as INTEL Core Solo? , if I replace in the XML Penryn by Westeme (X5675 is Westemere name), no more boot, I go back under clover in loop for the choice.

if I choose RX 580 as graphics card, it adds it to me in 2 card but I always stay with VNC.

Sorry for my explanations , i'm Belgium speak french and little english.

Phil

On 12/4/2020 at 7:49 AM, Philaudio said:

Hello everyone,

I'm new to Unraid, but I'm testing MOJAVE in VM like on the EspaceInvaderOne video. my installation in fact I have access to the desktop and then I stop my VM to be able to edit certain parameters.

I change my 2 CPUs to 6 and I remove the line <topology sockets = '1' dies = '1' cores = '2' threads = '1' />

I add well at the end

<qemu: arg value = '- usb' />

<qemu: arg value = 'usb-kbd, bus = usb-bus.0' />

<qemu: arg value = 'isa-applesmc, osk = x' />

<qemu: arg value = '- smbios' />

<qemu: arg value = 'type = 2' /> <qemu: arg value = '- cpu' />

<qemu: arg value = 'Penryn, kvm = on, vendor = GenuineIntel, + invtsc, vmware-cpuid-freq = on, + pcid, + ssse3, + sse4.2, + popcnt, + avx, + aes, + xsave , + xsaveopt, check '/>

</ qemu: commandline>

and also I replace the network card: vmxnet3 replace with e1000-82545em

I validate and I restart. I always arrive well on the mojave desktop but in 800x600. normal, I have not yet selected my RX580. Well, no matter how much I choose my RX580 card, each time I validate it automatically takes VNC: isn't it what I have to boot UNRAID from the GUI?

what is still strange, I changed my SMBIOS to MACpro 5.1 by clover configurator that I had downloaded on the desktop , seeing that it is this version that I use in Native OSX MOJAVE on an SSD, but the processor is still recognized as INTEL Core Solo? , if I replace in the XML Penryn by Westeme (X5675 is Westemere name), no more boot, I go back under clover in loop for the choice.

if I choose RX 580 as graphics card, it adds it to me in 2 card but I always stay with VNC.

Sorry for my explanations , i'm Belgium speak french and little english.

Phil

did you try instead of adding the RX580 to swap the VNC for the RX580. so no VNC on it.

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2016 at 2:15 PM, SpaceInvaderOne said:

Catalina Mojave and HighSierra - new video 28 october 2019

MOJAVE 10.14 . (Update 24 October 2018)

_______________________________________________________________________________________

OLDER VIDEOS ABOUT MacOS VMs

_______________________________________________________________________________________

High Sierra   10.13     (Update 24 September 2017)
So now High Sierra is here its time for a new video. Things are a lot better for OSX VMs now. Since qemu 2.9 we don't need to use a patched clover.
We can pass through the CPU frequency to the guest from the XML.

This video although for High Sierra will also work for Sierra

HOW TO INSTALL HIGH SIERRA OR SIERRA ON UNRAID

CREATING INSTALL MEDIA   (Update 24 September 2017)

Video guide here >>>>>  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BFPiK1Ggbks

INCREASING PERFORMANCE IN AN OSX VM . (march 2018)

Advanced techniques for hardware passthrough etc.     (Update March  2017)

This video is about advanced OSX VM techniques in KVM with unRAID. You will see how to pass through physical devices to a KVM osx sierra VM such as GPU, sound and USB.
You will learn to what hardware that you can use and how to edit the XML template to add the hardware. You will learn how to use a Nvidia GPU in Sierra by installing the Nvidia web drivers. You will see how to get your HDMI sound working using an HDMI audio kext. I will quickly run through using virt-manager to avoid manual edits then discuss common osx VM problems.

Note if using High Sierra as of 24 September 2017 Nvidia have not released web drivers for this OS so we cant have them working in 10.13 (but soon we should)

Advanced OSX VM techniques in unRAID. Get everything working!

Not sure what i am doing wrong but when i choose the OS no matter what i choose it installs mac os monterey, when i get into the setup i get to the part where its installing but the numbers go from 2 hours to 6 hours and just keeps going

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/27/2021 at 7:38 PM, anetworkca said:

Not sure what i am doing wrong but when i choose the OS no matter what i choose it installs mac os monterey, when i get into the setup i get to the part where its installing but the numbers go from 2 hours to 6 hours and just keeps going

You need to select *install method 2* in the docker.

• 1 month later...