**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

I'd want to ask you when you can legally (or not violating EULA) virtualize mac os: if I undestood well you can virtualize mac os on apple hardware only from the release of snow leopard: so, if I want to virtualize Catalina and I have an imac 18,2 able to run Catalina, I can run start unraid on this imac and Virtualize Catalina in a vm.

So, I cannot virtualize mac os legally if I'm running unraid from a non-apple computer, even if I own a mac able to run Catalina.

But if I own an imac 18,2 can I virtualize an imac pro 1,1 changing smbios or I can use only imac 18,2 in virtualization?

I'm asking this because I contacted directly apple because of facetime/imessage lock (I have the unlocking code), but they refused to unlock me telling me I'm running mac os on non-apple hardware (even if this is not true): are they right? Just to be sure what I can do and what I can't.

I read the mac os Catalina legal pdf from apple site, but there's no reply to my questions, so I can't understand why apple is not unlocking me..

Edited by ghost82

I have Catalina installed and it works well with VNC. Yet when I go to pass through my AMD 580 I get "internal error: Unknown PCI header type '127'"

I have edited the XML file after pass though with only the variables in the video in thier respective places in the file. Like I said it works fine for VNC.

Edit: I guess some of the code i posted was against some rule...

Annotation 2019-10-29 110806.png

Edited by Mustangf22
OSK
2 hours ago, david279 said:

Alert 10.15.1. is out backup your VM before attempting upgrading.

Thanks for the info, I will try to update tomorrow.

In the meantime, if anyone with the imac pro 1,1 or mac pro 7,1/6,1 smbios will try to perform update can report us if the mce disabler kext still works; if not, I will let you know tomorrow.

3 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Thanks for the info, I will try to update tomorrow.

In the meantime, if anyone with the imac pro 1,1 or mac pro 7,1/6,1 smbios will try to perform update can report us if the mce disabler kext still works; if not, I will let you know tomorrow.

I just finished the update using the macPro smbios. I updated lilu and whatevergreen before hand and it completed successfully. I did the update in VNC and will boot with my GPU when I get home. It looks like the disabler kext works just fine for me..

Edited by david279
  • Like 1
2 hours ago, Leoyzen said:

The Lilu 1.3.9 officially released now, check the link again and update it. Remember to remove all the grahpics patches.

Tried mac 10.15.1 with the custom amd patches today and this is as for as i can get. Remove the cpu qemu arg line and added a topology. Updated to 0.5.2.

1937900281_Screenshotfrom2019-10-3012-07-31.thumb.png.082b4137b588956bb05ca7c139ec341b.png

14 hours ago, david279 said:

Nah you can only run Mac vms using Q35. All of us with AMD cards deal with pci error 127. Just Google "AMD reset bug" and you will see it effects all newer AMD cards across a bunch of Linux distros. As of now there is no fix for the RX series of cards. 

Well thanks for the info. That is a bit of a bummer. Hopefully a fix comes soon....

3 hours ago, Leoyzen said:

You can't remove qemu custom cpu args.'kvm=on' and 'invtsch must be passed in this way, it is a QEMU bug. without this MacOS and opencore won't get TSC frequency correctly.

Ok i got it to boot using this.

<qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='EPYC-IBPB,kvm=on,+invtsc,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,+ssse3,+sse4_2,+popcnt,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'

I know i can remove the vmware line. Anything else i can get rid of on this line? Just to make it cleaner.

Edited by david279
8 hours ago, david279 said:

Ok i got it to boot using this.

<qemu:arg value='EPYC-IBPB,kvm=on,+invtsc,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,+ssse3,+sse4_2,+popcnt,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'

I know i can remove the vmware line. Anything else i can get rid of on this line? Just to make it cleaner.

Not now.I don't find a way to expose kvm in libvirt, I may submit a bug report when I got time.

4 minutes ago, Leoyzen said:

Not now.I don't find a way to expose kvm in libvirt, I may submit a bug report when I got time.

I switched it up and now use the line like this

<qemu:arg value='host,kvm=on,+invtsc,+hypervisor,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,+ssse3,+sse4_2,+popcnt'/>

The system sees the cpu as r7 2700x just like its supposed too and runs great.

My AMD GPU dataland RX460  passthough failure in MacOS. I tried it on other Linux systems ,same problem, but Windows  is fine

Show the same log:

2019-10-31T13:49:52.289412Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_err_notifier_handler(0000:03:00.1) Unrecoverable error detected. Please collect any data possible and then kill the guest 

2019-10-31T13:49:52.289500Z qemu-system-x86_64: vfio_err_notifier_handler(0000:03:00.0) Unrecoverable error detected. Please collect any data possible and then kill the guest