**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM


SpaceInvaderOne

1469 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

  • Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Catalina Mojave and HighSierra - new video 28 october 2019       MOJAVE 10.14 . (Update 24 October 2018)         ______________________

Ok finished the guide. Was a bit rushed so sorry if its a bit lower quality than normal.    

Posted Images

1 hour ago, david279 said:

The only thing I can see with your VM is the vmxnet3. I would change that to e1000-82545em. The upload on vmxnet3 has been super slow for some reason.

I second that. But now I can't get e1000-82545em to work anymore. MacOS reports "cable unplugged."

virsh domif-setlink Catalina vnet0 up

does not help.

Link to post
10 hours ago, david279 said:

I would change that to e1000-82545em

I noticed that this change should fix errors for apple developer id login, appstore and icloud login.

With vmxnet3 I couldn't login in icloud from preference panel (different errors), sometimes working, on reboot sometimes not working.

I couldn't login from the browser (tried my main browser firefox, but also apple safari) in icloud and with my developer id (sometimes giving me error related to ssl...).

Changing to e1000-82545em solved (at least at the time of writing) these problems: logins successfull both from web browser and preference panel.

Edited by ghost82
Link to post
1 hour ago, ghost82 said:

I noticed that this change should fix errors for apple deleveloper id login and icloud login.

With vmxnet3 I couldn't login in icloud from preference panel (different errors), sometimes working, on reboot sometimes not working.

I couldn't login from the browser (tried my main browser firefox, but also apple safari) in icloud and with my developer id (sometimes giving me error related to ssl...).

Changing to e1000-82545em solved (at least at the time of writing) these problems: logins successfull both from web browser and preference panel.

This is why I'm switch from vmxnet3 to e1000. VirtIO-NET or dedilicate nic passthrough maybe a good choice.

Link to post
18 hours ago, 1812 said:

look in about this Mac>system report and see what it "sees" it as

its showing 1 'USB2.0' Bus and 3 'USB' Bus, all of them listed using 'AppleUSBEHCIPCI' controller, if i attach any usb3 drives in the 'USB' ones, in the 'storage' section the drive is just listed using usb protocol, and have usb2 speed when im using it

Edited by hygoggx
Link to post
13 minutes ago, hygoggx said:

its showing 1 'USB2.0' Bus and 3 'USB' Bus, all of them listed using 'AppleUSBEHCIPCI' controller, if i attach any usb3 drives in the 'USB' ones, in the 'storage' section the drive is just listed using usb protocol, and have usb2 speed when im using it

need more info, where does it appear under the usb tree? can you post a screenshot similar to this:

 

2031118318_ScreenShot2019-10-13at10_56_45AM.png.04f0ff9545eba0f7656e0bbe2268eac4.png

 

 

 

do you have any other usb 3 devices you can try and see how they are listed? What are you using as your usb 3 device? what hubs are present if any? some hubs have 2.0 and 3.0 ports.

Link to post
1 hour ago, 1812 said:

can you post a screenshot similar to this:

 

2031118318_ScreenShot2019-10-13at10_56_45AM.png.04f0ff9545eba0f7656e0bbe2268eac4.png

 

Sorry for my intrusion: are you passing through the usb controller or is it emulated? I tried several times to passthrough the usb controller and make it work on osx with some degree of success, but not satisfactory.

My mainboard is an asus z9pe-d8 ws with 2 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller: best result I was able to obtain was by installing the GenericUSBXHCI.kext, however it never showed up as a usb 3.0 controller and usb devices did not show at first time, I had to attach, detach and reattach again to make them show.

Edited by ghost82
Link to post
34 minutes ago, ghost82 said:

Sorry for my intrusion: are you passing through the usb controller or is it emulated? I tried several times to passthrough the usb controller and make it work on osx with some degree of success, but not satisfactory.

My mainboard is an asus z9pe-d8 ws with 2 ASMedia Technology Inc. ASM1042 SuperSpeed USB Host Controller: best result I was able to obtain was by installing the GenericUSBXHCI.kext, however it never showed up as a usb 3.0 controller and usb devices did not show at first time, I had to attach, detach and reattach again to make them show.

USB card isolated from Unraid at boot which is passed to the vm. I fiddled with trying to isolate and use ports on different motherboards,  but they always seemed finicky and didn't always work reliably (though others have had great success I believe), or required more than what I wanted to deal with. And it was 10x easier to buy a 20 dollar card and pass it through.

Link to post
9 hours ago, Leoyzen said:

@Zer0Nin3r I have similar problem before,but  lag dismiss after I got a metal support/enabled graphics.Or you should not passthrough the graphics at all.

I went ahead and switched from vmxnet3 > e1000 in the XML. Another change that I made was to use and pass through the vbios too. Performance appears to be holding up without any hard lag. I've tested both of the GPU's I have (GT 710 & GTX 1060) with vbios pass through; no lag to report back with.

 

Still testing at the time of this writing.

 

Note: The testing in this post has been done with High Sierra.

Edited by Zer0Nin3r
Updated which OS I am testing.
Link to post

Okay now I have a weird problem if anyone has any ideas I can't seem to replicate it ever its "random" as it would seem when I boot into OSX Catalina sometimes finder fails to launch sometimes a reboot fixes this sometimes it takes three or four. I've attached my XML Clover config and boot log if that helps but im kind of stuck I've tried different SMBIOS's and doesn't seem to make it much better either the screenshot is of the failed boot with no Networking or desktop icons either.108454392_ScreenShot2019-10-13at7_59_55pm.thumb.png.2166cbbb8bd732ca9bef4c88459c1c47.pngconfig.plistCatalinaXML.rtfbootlog.txt

bootlog failed.txt

Edited by tpruszin
Link to post
1 hour ago, Zer0Nin3r said:

I went ahead and switched from vmxnet3 > e1000 in the XML. Another change that I made was to use and pass through the vbios too. Performance appears to be holding up without any hard lag. I've tested both of the GPU's I have (GT 710 & GTX 1060) with vbios pass through; no lag to report back with.

 

Still testing at the time of this writing.

 

Note: The testing in this post has been done with High Sierra.

Try removing 

mode='host-passthrough' check='none'

that improved my VM. At least it improved the bootup.

Link to post
13 minutes ago, Jagadguru said:

Try removing 


mode='host-passthrough' check='none'

that improved my VM. At least it improved the bootup.

Thank you. Everything seems to be working fine for now in High Sierra. I also remove the CPU topology when I want to run more than 8 cores in order to get the VM to post. Should I have any more issues, I'll try removing just that argument.

 

I even forgot to change the network adapter and it was left on virtio and Mojave was working fine.

 

I simply am unable to get Mojave to recognize any GPU that I pass through to it. It's okay though.

Link to post

I'm not seeing any proof (via log or effects) Lilu/WEG actually works for my hackintosh(neither blackscreen fix nor acpi rename etc).So there is definately something wrong may related to AMD build or Graphic Version or qemu(most likely WEG not suit for QEMU ACPI I think).

Does anyone actually seeing anything useful by using WEG?

Edited by Leoyzen
Link to post
46 minutes ago, Leoyzen said:

Does someone actually seeing anything useful by using WEG?

I deleted both lilu and WEG, my gpu is working as before, to avoid black screen (no-signal) I only have a kextToPatch to not check the board-id. Same as you, never had proof or noticed anything useful for these kexts.

Link to post
14 hours ago, david279 said:

What GPUs are you using?

  1. EVGA GTX 1060 6 GB (primary pass through)
  2. MSI GT 710 (for Unraid)

High Sierra

 

I've have not experienced any lag issues after switching from vmxnet3 to e1000-82545em. So, I am betting on that was the issue with all the hard lag issues for all of this year.

Link to post

IMG_20191014_210417.thumb.jpg.f659c85eb30353b8cccb0ad2371746e1.jpg

9 hours ago, Zer0Nin3r said:
  1. EVGA GTX 1060 6 GB (primary pass through)
  2. MSI GT 710 (for Unraid)

High Sierra

 

I've have not experienced any lag issues after switching from vmxnet3 to e1000-82545em. So, I am betting on that was the issue with all the hard lag issues for all of this year.

Glad to hear you finally got it! Now if I could get e1000-82545em to work with Catalina. Does the above pic look right?

 

A lot of things break when that driver loads. Finder won't open, screenshot doesn't work, won't shut down, preferences crashes.

 

IMG_20191014_210447.thumb.jpg.dbdd01adaba52e9e0eab92cb2f8bba20.jpg

Edited by Jagadguru
additional info
Link to post
22 hours ago, ghost82 said:

I deleted both lilu and WEG, my gpu is working as before, to avoid black screen (no-signal) I only have a kextToPatch to not check the board-id. Same as you, never had proof or noticed anything useful for these kexts.

Yeah, I can confirm Lilu/WEG not work at all in my hackintosh vm, I just boot direct from disk without QEMU and Lilu/WEG works.

So I think it's maybe ACPI or QEMU related problem to avoid Lilu get correct graphic.

Lilu/WEG is so important for those who have some problem with Grahpics, though we can use ssdt or clover patch, we lost many features of automatic works maked by WEG.

 

Edit:

I found that Lilu didn't work with QEMU/kvm by digging Lilu log and code that  Lilu doesn't recognize QEMU pci-bridge vendor-id so it continues then can't get graphic device at all, WEG then not work property.

It shocks me because every tutourial told us that it should use Lilu/WEG to help recogenize graphic in kvm but it doesn't work at all!! God damned.

 

I just submit an issue to Lilu developers. Here is link.

Edited by Leoyzen
Link to post
On 10/10/2019 at 8:20 AM, Leoyzen said:

No, we do not have much options to map memory slots.

I found out that it is possible to map the ram slots in clover: simply modify the Memory section under SMBIOS. For my system I chose 12 slots, according to the macPro7,1 mainboard. However catalina still reporting memory misconfiguration.

 

MacPro7,1 ram slots:

31382-52425-apple-memory-quantities-l.jpg.fa9e3d5b71372d393b59a363df8b6e22.jpg

 

Clover configurator:

clover.png.2bfd1e322f8ad5433e56747ca34319bb.png

 

System information:

sys-prof.thumb.png.6f973bf4d8a32094f5142f4321d2d3a8.png

Edited by ghost82
Link to post

I compiled a new Lilu and update QEMU vendor-id, then Lilu and WEG work now!

You guys can just download this Lilu and using latest WEG from github then WEG will works now in hackintosh VM, no ssdt and no patches any more.Lilu-1.3.8-DEBUG.zip

 

Edit:

Lilu master update the code, so wait Lilu 1.3.9 will add QEMU support.

Edited by Leoyzen
Link to post

Just a quick question to people running Catalina with macpro7,1: I noticed that in "About this mac" I don't have the memory tab. Do you have it?

 

ram.png.d6e90d752ee173d3d81a55074757cd64.png

 

EDIT: I found that it depends on SMBIOS setting "Platform Feature": default setting 0x22 for MacPro7,1 prevents the memory tab from showing; changing it to 0x18 lets the memory tab appear (memory tab should appear since MacPro7,1 will not have inaccessible/soldered RAM..):

 

ram-slots.png.ce1d14b2112d71826f8500c1505f4346.png

 

I cannot understand the warning, that keeps the "memory misconfiguration" popup appear at every start of the VM.

This is the translation: Mac contains 12 memory slots; 4 memory slots are populated by a DDR3 1333 MHz memory module.

Warning: On this Mac the installed memory exceeds the maximum supported limit. The Mac will use only a single module until less than 768 Gb of RAM will be installed.

 

However, the MAC is using all the 32 Gb installed (tested with diglloyd tools) --> A nonsense for me....

Edited by ghost82
Link to post

Memory misconfiguration problem solved!

Finally I mapped al the 12 slots and populated all of them with 2 Gb module each.

No more warnings and memory tab is ok.

 

PS: remember to assign the same amount of ram both in clover and unraid vm (xml) (the sum of modules set in Clover should reflect the amount of ram assigned to the vm).

 

Memory tab:

RAM-2Gb.png.59df01b8f4981c603935ffb17e525e5a.png

 

System profiler:

sys-prof-ok.thumb.png.94164b5fd9b3b8d9442bb2f3cb13a8c5.png

 

Clover memory configuration:

clover-ok.png.6f65f02b2490d6edbd5d6a92a31e2ca0.png

Edited by ghost82
Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.