**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

SpaceInvaderOne

I swiched to opencore instead of clover, there is something interesting:

1. the virtio still need to hot-plug, so the fault is not clovers and there is definately something differences between hotplug and pre-defined.
  2. There is no more need of using Penryn, not even New Generation Intel CPU Model can be used but also host passthrough works! So maybe it's interesting for those who use host-passthrough and amd-vallina patches to gain some performance.
    1. Topology still not work, I don't want wasting my time on this anymore.You have to remove qemu topology.
  3. there is no patches compare to clover "FixDisplay" so to get graphics work properly I have to use ssdt, see here
  4. according to here, there is definately something we can do to make cpu/gpu xcpm work, will dig in later.

Until now, everything works fine for me, so maybe I will use opencore instead of clover for now.

image.thumb.png.b4b7a821a2a1f2214eff6374e7821f6e.png

Edited by Leoyzen
9 hours ago, ghost82 said:

You fill find the files in the post you quoted above; it contains qcow2 files.

I meant EFI, sorry not familiar with qcow2. Does it contains the EFI folder? Thanks!

Could you help post a screenshot of your drivers and kexts? I think the ones we are using should be the same since we are all using QEMU.

Unfortunately using the qcow2 I got clover stuck at "scanning" error. So I thought knowing your EFI structure, especially the files in drivers folder and kexts folder would help.

Edited by Harrywong

Hi there,

I'm really new to unraid and i was wondering if anyone having issues after GPU passthrough? I'm stuck at passing through my GTX 1050TI where after i pass through and boot the system with the XML that is provided. I got to the apple logo and it forced a reboot for some reason???? Do I need a rom bios? or am i doing something really wrong? 

40 minutes ago, Harrywong said:

I meant EFI, sorry not familiar with qcow2. Does it contains the EFI folder? Thanks!

Could you help post a screenshot of your drivers and kexts?

Yes, qcow2 contains the EFI folder, to browse the qcow2 just add an hard drive to your vm (type qcow2).

Here is my EFI folder structure, and kexts (my kexts are installed is /Library/Extensions/):

clover-efi.thumb.png.8f2009534730bdf975a90a8f3755f833.png

kexts.png.70243fce15a4b3c11f2ed131af8ab1b1.png

As far as I know, the "scanning entries" issue can be related to:

- Clover is not able to load drivers <-- Incorrect folder structure

- AudioDxe is in your Drivers64UEFI folder <-- At the moment it seems not to be compatible

Edited by ghost82
5 hours ago, Harrywong said:

Hi Leoyzen,

Could you help elaborate what you did to make videoproc showing GPU has hardware acceleration for Mojave?

Is it because the SIMBIOS that you are using, or the patches, or the fact that you are not using any kexts?

Thanks!

I mention before, please to that post. Or using my clover.qcow2 to see if it works(maybe you will get HW acceralation OOB)

1. smbios is definately import for those who want GPU acceralation works. For Hackintosh VM (which don't have iGPU), the MacPro7,1 and iMacPro1,1 is best choices.
  2. you need clover patch to avoid black screen for amd graphics(see the post before)
  3. you need select "Add DTGP" and "Fix dispaly" to make sure you graphics is under GFX0 position of ACPI, this will make HW Acceralation happened.
    1. WEG won't work fine in VM, because the ACPI is different compared to Native MB.
    2. Check you graphic position using IORegistryExplorer
    3. If not under GFX0, the HEVC will not work.
  4. If something wrong, then Lilu and WEG is needed.
7 hours ago, david279 said:

Can I get a look at your open core efi? Been wanting to try it out but not many guides on it.

Yeah, I'm not familar to opencore too and my efi is not a final working version, so I don't want posting it here to avoid misleading someone.

16 hours ago, david279 said:

Mojave supplemental update today left me with no display. No matter the smbios. VM boots all the way up just does not recogize the display. Moved on to my Catalina VM for good it seems.

@david279I have no issues upgrading to the latest Mojave, everything works fine for me.

Edited by Leoyzen

Finally get native Discrete Card Power Manager works....Will see if there is any problems.

Fan speed finally get spins and works....Let's see if there any performance gains.

Edit:

After all, we finally get a nearly bare metal performance, I'm very happy with that.

I will go on vocation for about 2 weeks.After that I will make a turtorial about all these days works. TO BE CONTINUE!

Edit:

The attachment is my opencore efi qcow2 image, works properly both mojave and catalina.

All you have to do is make sure your graphics is under ACPI S08 and make sure SMBIos changes to yours.

If not under S08, you have to modify the SSDT-1.aml to your graphics location.

Have fun!

opencore.release.qcow2.zip

image.thumb.png.2a6cbf8d929b0ace111a903419d49401.png

image.thumb.png.f90906b5a6de07897b4093782d81d274.png

image.thumb.png.8a0621c76fb32de0849a379d8f7db825.png

image.thumb.png.f49f8aae2e579e68994fe39089d88223.png

image.thumb.png.7d9e1024c5adcfa9ea9135f6c88d9a88.png

image.thumb.png.1a34e5c73f27dd1d5f11d76d8af644e1.png

image.thumb.png.26c64fd44757797af8700666bf084536.png

Edited by Leoyzen
  • Thanks 1

@Leoyzen

Sadly it still gives me no display after the update. The system thinks its connect to a iMac projector for some reason. I switched to MacPro 6,1 and its all back working just no hardware accelerated video. I really think the issue maybe my jankiny rx560D(https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/dell-rx-560d-oem-oc-2-gb.b5128) witch shows up as a rx460 and really is a dell OEM part that you can only find on eBay. I do have a rx 570 pulse on the way though so i may try again when it arrives.

dell.jpg.0cf7c409fe29d7578e9bd37228a4d1d3.jpg

It still works in Catalina though and rumor has it that the release is next friday so Im ready to just full time to Catalina.

24 minutes ago, david279 said:

@Leoyzen

Sadly it still gives me no display after the update. The system thinks its connect to a iMac projector for some reason. I switched to MacPro 6,1 and its all back working just no hardware accelerated video. I really think the issue maybe my jankiny rx560D(https://www.techpowerup.com/gpu-specs/dell-rx-560d-oem-oc-2-gb.b5128) witch shows up as a rx460 and really is a dell OEM part that you can only find on eBay. I do have a rx 570 pulse on the way though so i may try again when it arrives.

dell.jpg.0cf7c409fe29d7578e9bd37228a4d1d3.jpg

It still works in Catalina though and rumor has it that the release is next friday so Im ready to just full time to Catalina.

I have the same card but I don't use it for now....

The card is strange after flash rx560 bios....I don't know if the card or rx460 work or not....My rx460(flashed rx560 BIOS) works fine for now.

Hello everybody,

I currently have a very strange problem. I bought extra for Mojave a Vega 64 graphics card (Asus Strix). When I first boot a Windows 10 VM with the GPU and then finish and then the Mojave VM works fine.

if I restart unraid and first start the mojave vm I see on the monitor that the card is accessed but nothing happens. A core then remains at almost 100% utilization.

The card will not work until a complete reboot.

attached the two configs of the VM's. I've already tried to use mojave without special CPU or memory parameters> but that does not change the problem

I use the last clover image from Leoyzen

System:

AMD 1950x @ 3.8 Ghz

64 GB Ram @ 3200 CL 14

Asrock Taichi Bios P3.50 and 3.60

Unraid 6.7.2

Asus AREZ Strix Vega 64

last question: I would like to switch to the opencore efi qcow2 from Leoyzen. can someone explain to me how I must enter my SMBIos data with opencore? I have only ever worked with Clover and CloverConfigurator. thanks

Win10VM.rtf MojaveVM.rtf

Use hackintool to see what the GPU is? Mines is s08 and really didn't set anything about it in the config but I do use whatevergreen kext.

1 hour ago, chatman64 said:

Hi, The tip with Xcode worked great. Now I have the problem that I have with Opencore in VideoProc no HEVC. I think I have to adapt ACPI S08. But I have no idea how to do that? With the last Clover Image of Leoyzen HEVC runs without a change

thanks

The GPU issue you are having is the AMD GPU reset bug. It's a big issue with AMD GPUs.

Edited by david279
19 hours ago, tpruszin said:

I’m attempting to update to beta 9 Catalina and this is all that happens when I try booting into the installer I’ve tried -v and 1,1 18,3 7,1 SMBIOS and still nothing is this a Beta 9 issue that anyone else is seeing?

4bcddb1671421142dabdfaa7693f93af.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

When the unraid first booted, put the machine into s3 sleep(the sleep button in the action page), wakeup, start hackintosh vm later, that's what I do to avoid the reset bug.

When the unraid first booted, put the machine into s3 sleep(the sleep button in the action page), wakeup, start hackintosh vm later, that's what I do to avoid the reset bug.

But I am seeing this after a restart on the VM and the hundred I’ve done since I haven’t started the VM from the first boot of UNRAID and I can still boot into Mojave again just fine

@tpruszin did you follow my instruction above to make sure the graphics and audio are in same bus?What is your graphics?Upload your log.

Someone already said before,it is amd reset bug related issues, so you have no certain procedure to avoid it, you have to try something and see it helps.I face the same problem and the procedure I posted work for me, you can just try and feedback if it work or not work, otherwise we can't give more help.

Edited by Leoyzen

hey guys can you help me? Im on the process of installing osx high sierra just as gridrunner instructed, but stuck on the apple logo after i choose osx installation drive on clover then no loading screen just back to tiano core  screen when booting my VM after editing the xml files to edit network type. 

here is my xml file

<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8'?>
<domain type='kvm' xmlns:qemu='http://libvirt.org/schemas/domain/qemu/1.0'>
  <name>OSX High Sierra v1</name>
  <uuid>34ddb284-2ba6-9e16-ddc9-b3ff08a7c7d1</uuid>
  <metadata>
    <vmtemplate xmlns="unraid" name="Linux" icon="linux.png" os="linux"/>
  </metadata>
  <memory unit='KiB'>32505856</memory>
  <currentMemory unit='KiB'>1048576</currentMemory>
  <memoryBacking>
    <nosharepages/>
  </memoryBacking>
  <vcpu placement='static'>12</vcpu>
  <cputune>
    <vcpupin vcpu='0' cpuset='2'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='1' cpuset='10'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='2' cpuset='3'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='3' cpuset='11'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='4' cpuset='4'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='5' cpuset='12'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='6' cpuset='5'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='7' cpuset='13'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='8' cpuset='6'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='9' cpuset='14'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='10' cpuset='7'/>
    <vcpupin vcpu='11' cpuset='15'/>
  </cputune>
  <os>
    <type arch='x86_64' machine='pc-q35-3.1'>hvm</type>
    <loader readonly='yes' type='pflash'>/usr/share/qemu/ovmf-x64/OVMF_CODE-pure-efi.fd</loader>
    <nvram>/etc/libvirt/qemu/nvram/34ddb284-2ba6-9e16-ddc9-b3ff08a7c7d1_VARS-pure-efi.fd</nvram>
  </os>
  <features>
    <acpi/>
    <apic/>
  </features>
  <cpu mode='host-passthrough' check='none'>
    <topology sockets='1' cores='12' threads='1'/>
  </cpu>
  <clock offset='utc'>
    <timer name='rtc' tickpolicy='catchup'/>
    <timer name='pit' tickpolicy='delay'/>
    <timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
  </clock>
  <on_poweroff>destroy</on_poweroff>
  <on_reboot>restart</on_reboot>
  <on_crash>restart</on_crash>
  <devices>
    <emulator>/usr/local/sbin/qemu</emulator>
    <disk type='file' device='disk'>
      <driver name='qemu' type='qcow2' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/OSX High Sierra v1/clover.qcow2'/>
      <target dev='hdc' bus='sata'/>
      <boot order='1'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='2'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/OSX High Sierra v1/haigh_sera.img'/>
      <target dev='hdd' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='3'/>
    </disk>
      <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/>
      <source file='/mnt/user/domains/OSX High Sierra v1/vdisk3.img'/>
      <target dev='hde' bus='sata'/>
      <address type='drive' controller='0' bus='0' target='0' unit='4'/>
    </disk>
    <controller type='sata' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x1f' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='0' model='pcie-root'/>
    <controller type='pci' index='1' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <model name='pcie-root-port'/>
      <target chassis='1' port='0x10'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='2' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='2' port='0x11'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='3' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='3' port='0x12'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='pci' index='4' model='pcie-root-port'>
      <target chassis='4' port='0x13'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x02' function='0x3'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='virtio-serial' index='0'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x02' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-ehci1'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x7'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci1'>
      <master startport='0'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x0' multifunction='on'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci2'>
      <master startport='2'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x1'/>
    </controller>
    <controller type='usb' index='0' model='ich9-uhci3'>
      <master startport='4'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x07' function='0x2'/>
    </controller>
    <interface type='bridge'>
      <mac address='52:54:00:87:d2:93'/>
      <source bridge='br0'/>
      <model type='vmxnet3'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x01' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </interface>
    <serial type='pty'>
      <target type='isa-serial' port='0'>
        <model name='isa-serial'/>
      </target>
    </serial>
    <console type='pty'>
      <target type='serial' port='0'/>
    </console>
    <channel type='unix'>
      <target type='virtio' name='org.qemu.guest_agent.0'/>
      <address type='virtio-serial' controller='0' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </channel>
    <input type='tablet' bus='usb'>
      <address type='usb' bus='0' port='1'/>
    </input>
    <input type='mouse' bus='ps2'/>
    <input type='keyboard' bus='ps2'/>
    <graphics type='vnc' port='-1' autoport='yes' websocket='-1' listen='0.0.0.0' keymap='en-us'>
      <listen type='address' address='0.0.0.0'/>
    </graphics>
    <video>
      <model type='qxl' ram='65536' vram='65536' vgamem='16384' heads='1' primary='yes'/>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x00' slot='0x01' function='0x0'/>
    </video>
    <memballoon model='virtio'>
      <address type='pci' domain='0x0000' bus='0x03' slot='0x00' function='0x0'/>
    </memballoon>
  </devices>
  <qemu:commandline>
    <qemu:arg value='-usb'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-device'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-mouse,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='usb-kbd,bus=usb-bus.0'/>
    <qemu:arg value='xxxxx'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-smbios'/>
    <qemu:arg value='type=2'/>
    <qemu:arg value='-cpu'/>
    <qemu:arg value='Penryn,vendor=GenuineIntel,kvm=on,+invtsc,+avx,+avx2,+aes,+xsave,+xsaveopt,vmware-cpuid-freq=on,'/>
  </qemu:commandline>
</domain>

im on ryzen 7 3700x btw

Edited by hygoggx
@tpruszin did you follow my instruction above to make sure the graphics and audio are in same bus?What is your graphics?Upload your log.
Someone already said before,it is amd reset bug related issues, so you have no certain procedure to avoid it, you have to try something and see it helps.I face the same problem and the procedure I posted work for me, you can just try and feedback if it work or not work, otherwise we can't give more help.

Adding the extra CPU flags a few pages back seems to have fixed the problem