Jump to content
SpaceInvaderOne

**VIDEO GUIDE** How to Install MacOS Mojave or High Sierra as a VM

1197 posts in this topic Last Reply

Recommended Posts

On 8/2/2019 at 5:55 PM, david279 said:

@steve1977 I had to use the OVMF and clover files from here https://github.com/foxlet/macOS-Simple-KVM 

Setup my vm to use them and the clover img to boot it. Catalina requires at least clover version 4900+ to get going. It works well after install using these files. I've updated up to Beta 5 as of now in VNC. It runs really well but im just not ready to give it a GPU. Once it goes final I will give it a full go. 

 

As far as troubleshooting the only time i had issues is when i tried a smbios I should not have. Some of them will kill your VM. Are you using the vmxnet3 for the networking? I heard vmxnet3 can be unstable and cause instability.

 

Hey @david279, I've been trying for several days now to get catalina working using those files, but even using the ESP.qcow2 to boot it, I get stuck at "Welcome to clover 4920, scan entries". When you have a sec, can you comment on anything else you had to do? Tried a couple clover versions also just in case, but it seems like any version 4900+ I get this message.

Share this post


Link to post

I'm still stuck here - my Clover loader doesn't show the install icon. 

Is this due to not having the right High Sierra .img file? An out of date Clover qcow2 file? 

I've tried deleting the whole thing and starting over - not getting anywhere. 

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/7/2019 at 6:26 PM, DayspringGaming said:

I'm still stuck here - my Clover loader doesn't show the install icon. 

Is this due to not having the right High Sierra .img file? An out of date Clover qcow2 file? 

I've tried deleting the whole thing and starting over - not getting anywhere. 

Seems like it's got to be one of a few things-- Your OVMF files, your Clover version or drivers, disk setup in the XML, or malformed .img file. Hmm. you could try attaching a known good vdisk i.e. from a Windows or Linux VM to the MacOS VM (make a backup first) as a test to see if Clover can detect anything at all.

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, Jagadguru said:

Seems like it's got to be one of a few things-- Your OVMF files, your Clover version or drivers, disk setup in the XML, or malformed .img file. Hmm. you could try attaching a known good vdisk i.e. from a Windows or Linux VM to the MacOS VM (make a backup first) as a test to see if Clover can detect anything at all.

It was the High Sierra .img file. I received an assist from another forum member and as soon as I dropped the replacement file on the server and pointed the VM to it, there was the install icon.
 

I spent about an hour yesterday and now have a fully functioning MacOS VM. Not sure what I'm going to DO with it - but I have it now. It was a fun thought exercise.

Share this post


Link to post

Hi guys! Do you know if it's possible to update your High Sierra VM to Mojave through the appstore? I'm guessing i will need to add the XML details to the VM configuration meant for Mojave instead of High Sierra, but my concern is whether the installation can even be done at all? I'm not really interested in starting a whole new VM. And thanks to SpaceInvaderOne for the great guide!

Share this post


Link to post

You can just make a backup of your vdisk and try it. It worked for me. That is how I got from HS to Mojave. When a new MacOS comes out sometimes I upgrade in-place and sometimes I do a clean install, whatever I feel like.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Jagadguru said:

You can just make a backup of your vdisk and try it. It worked for me. That is how I got from HS to Mojave. When a new MacOS comes out sometimes I upgrade in-place and sometimes I do a clean install, whatever I feel like.

Sounds great! Did you edit the xml to be Mojave specific instead of High Sierra afterwards?

Share this post


Link to post

I think it depends what version of Clover you had installed when installing High Sierra? If sufficiently recent, the update should go through. If too old, you may need to update Clover. Unfortunately, I don't know how to update Clover.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/4/2019 at 3:01 AM, J.Nerdy said:

I am banging my head against the wall:

 

I am running 10.14.6 with an rx570 passed through and handling the graphics.  Everything works smooth as glass, but, for the life of me I can not get hdmi audio passed through.

 

The only sound output devices recognized are sound flower (64 and 2 ch), apple emulated devices.

 

Does anyone have any solutions for passing through HDMI audio?  Its cuckoo because the card is handling graphics (on a 4k display) with zero lag.

 

Thanks!

I had near the same problem: after upgrading from high sierra to mojave no audio at all (no devices).

I downloaded multibeast for mojave and applied the voodooHDA.kext 2.9.1 and now all audio output devices are working again.

You can try and see if it works, multibeast has also some tips to go back and delete the kext if it doesn't work for you.

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/9/2019 at 12:41 PM, DayspringGaming said:

It was the High Sierra .img file. I received an assist from another forum member and as soon as I dropped the replacement file on the server and pointed the VM to it, there was the install icon.
 

I spent about an hour yesterday and now have a fully functioning MacOS VM. Not sure what I'm going to DO with it - but I have it now. It was a fun thought exercise.

If you don't normally use macOS... experiment!  I was a life long windows user (win 3.1 and up) and found macOS to be a very interesting and well thought out platform.

Share this post


Link to post
Posted (edited)
On 8/10/2019 at 6:37 AM, MortenBN1988 said:

Hi guys! Do you know if it's possible to update your High Sierra VM to Mojave through the appstore? I'm guessing i will need to add the XML details to the VM configuration meant for Mojave instead of High Sierra, but my concern is whether the installation can even be done at all? I'm not really interested in starting a whole new VM. And thanks to SpaceInvaderOne for the great guide!

This is what I did, since I could not get a Mojave machine to boot... worked a charm

21 hours ago, ghost82 said:

I had near the same problem: after upgrading from high sierra to mojave no audio at all (no devices).

I downloaded multibeast for mojave and applied the voodooHDA.kext 2.9.1 and now all audio output devices are working again.

You can try and see if it works, multibeast has also some tips to go back and delete the kext if it doesn't work for you.

Will do... Cheers mate!

 

EDIT 2:  NO dice - multibeast did not help.  Still just showing sound flower for audio output.  Such a bummer.

 

EDIT:  sorry for the party foul (double post).

Edited by J.Nerdy
DERP: double post

Share this post


Link to post

my second high sierra install went smooth, except for sound through gtx 970 hdmi. it's passed through the vm template. can't get sound recognized whatsoever, even tried AppleHDA HDMI Audio [Guide]. have no idea what i'm doing wrong! would appreciate if anyone could point me to a fix or a direction.

 

also, is it normal for benjamin dobell's script, run on high sierra, to show "could not find a release for your os" for a gtx 970 when installing graphics driver? the card is recognized okay, but how do i know if it's not just patched or if there's any acceleration?

Share this post


Link to post
On 8/12/2019 at 10:25 AM, iilied said:

my second high sierra install went smooth, except for sound through gtx 970 hdmi. it's passed through the vm template. can't get sound recognized whatsoever, even tried AppleHDA HDMI Audio [Guide]. have no idea what i'm doing wrong! would appreciate if anyone could point me to a fix or a direction.

 

also, is it normal for benjamin dobell's script, run on high sierra, to show "could not find a release for your os" for a gtx 970 when installing graphics driver? the card is recognized okay, but how do i know if it's not just patched or if there's any acceleration?

same sound issue passing through an rx570

 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, david279 said:

Getting sound from a GPU is a bit of a chore bare metal or in a VM. I use a usb sound device, just works.

recommended device?

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, david279 said:

Roccat juke is what i use. Plug and play. It cost about $15.

fantastic, gonna give it a try. btw, read that using displayport instead gives you sound! any luck with that? don't have dp cable myself to try it atm.

 

edit:

also, if you have any idea about this, could you mirror screen using airplay and get sound with roccat juke and gpu?

Edited by iilied

Share this post


Link to post

I use dP with my rx 560 and get no sound from it. The roccat juke just works..plugged into a pcie usb 3.1 card that i pass though to the vm.

Share this post


Link to post

I use Sabrent USB External Stereo Sound Adapter for Windows and Mac. Plug and play No drivers Needed. (AU-MMSA). Plugged into a passed through USB3 controller. Also just works.

Share this post


Link to post

Hey @david279 or anybody. I have been using a MacoS VM as my daily driver for 2 years now and have gone through 4 or 5 versions of MacOS starting with Yosemite I believe. Through several versions of Clover and and even QEMU/Libvirt/OVMF. 

 

Maybe every 5th time or so, the VM will crash immediately on showing the apple logo on boot. This has happened through all these iterations. It's not critical. Really just an annoyance. Lately, with Catalina-Beta on start it bootloops 2 or 3 times before it "catches." Does that happen to you guys? I haven't read anywhere about this being common.

Edited by Jagadguru

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.