Recommended enclosure for unraid server in basement?

tmchow

We currently live in an apartment and when I built my unraid server a year ago, I had to make compromises in size of the case since it was going to be in our media cabinet and in our living room.

Now that we are moving into a house in a few months, I plan on putting the server in the basement. This means I have more options for cases since I no longer have to worry as much about noise and space constraints.

At first I thought I was going to just get a full size tower case that had got swap bays but then realized I could now consider rack mount options like Norfolk cases.

Only need to expand up to 8-10 drives + 2 SSDs in future. In addition to the unraid server I also plan on relocating my home theater equipment to the basement to free up space in the living room which is directly upstairs. I'd then run hdmi cables up to the TV.

What recommendations do you all have on enclosures? Was thinking a Norco case in a Small rack mount case that I could also house my receiver and UPS.

Or am I better off just getting a standard full size tax case and putting into a shelf?

Budget wise I'd like to stay under $2500 for case, new mobo and shelving.

I'd recommend to go with a 4 post rack, then you can get shelves and everything for it to customize it as you see fit. I bought this one off Amazon many years ago, very happy with it. Then as your equipment grows, easy to throw in the rack. Also I recommend getting a rack mount UPS to put in the bottom slots, check out the CyberPower models.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O6GNLQE/

As for cases, you have a lot of options if you only need 12 drive slots.

I'd recommend to go with a 4 post rack, then you can get shelves and everything for it to customize it as you see fit. I bought this one off Amazon many years ago, very happy with it. Then as your equipment grows, easy to throw in the rack. Also I recommend getting a rack mount UPS to put in the bottom slots, check out the CyberPower models.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00O6GNLQE/

As for cases, you have a lot of options if you only need 12 drive slots.

Thanks for the recommendation.

Definitely agree with going rack-mount, but do NOT skimp on the actual rack.    A good 4-post rack with casters will serve you well, but don't be tempted by the lower cost of the smaller 12u units ... I'd get at least 25U.    You'll undoubtedly want to put more in it than you think  :)

... Especially since you also want to mount some home theater gear in it.

The 4-post units are very nice for a basement ... the closed racks are much nicer cosmetically, but are also FAR more expensive.    Probably worth it if they're in an upstairs room, but in a basement the open racks are fine -- and provide better ventilation as well.

Thanks so much for these recommendations. Exactly what I was looking for, though the 83" rack is pretty tall. 

Have recommendations on a motherboard? :)

You don't need an 83" tall rack => I'd think a 25U is plenty big enough.  But DO think about what all you want to mount on it before deciding for sure.

Too tall is not a big deal;  not tall enough is catastrophic  :)

Oops I misread the product page on Amazon. I thought the 25U was 83" tall. That was for the 45U :)

Now I need a good motherboard recommendation. Seems like supermicro is the no brainer choice since I want IPMI and scale up to lots of drives. However they have like 30 versions and their site absolutely sucks.

hey i live just down the road in Oregon

here is my setup has been running for 2+ years with no issues

i have been where you are reading reviews until they all run together hop this helps

https://www.amazon.com/Rosewill-Server-Chassis-Rackmount-Metal/dp/B00N9CXGSO/ref=sr_1_4?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1477430729&sr=1-4&keywords=rosewill+4u

Looks like that Rosewill case is discontinued. Can't find it anywhere in stock.

• 4 weeks later...

Did you get a nice rack to put it in?  :)

Leading contender is the Tripp Lite one posted earlier in this thread but in 25U size. reasons: it was recommended here, has great reviews on Amazon and doesn't break the bank.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004OB8T72/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&th=1&linkCode=ll1&tag=selfproclaime-20&linkId=6210e79915e488a8189f491fa8a0c1c3

If someone else has a better reco I'm all ears.

I've also been lurking on Craigslist to see if anyone is selling anything locally but no luck.

Do you live near North West Indiana?  I have a full size IBM rack on  wheels,  skinned in Etiome veneer,  that is not being used.

Unfortunately not, I'm in Seattle.

I'm North of you in the Everett/Marysville area with a Full Enclosed Rack just sitting in my garage. I'd like to give it a good home, but so far no Takers.

I'll drop you a PM.

Just bought a APC AR3150 Netshelter SX from a datacenter in Tempe, AZ. Like brand new for $400. Came with 2 PDU's also. (APC AP8941).

I feel like I scored a pretty good deal for $400. The guy had like 7 of them he was selling.  Plan on racking a ton in it so I need a 42u size rack.

Just bought a APC AR3150 Netshelter SX from a datacenter in Tempe, AZ. Like brand new for $400. Came with 2 PDU's also. (APC AP8941).

I feel like I scored a pretty good deal for $400. The guy had like 7 of them he was selling.  Plan on racking a ton in it so I need a 42u size rack.

Shipped or was he local?

Shipped or was he local?

Nah, not shipped.  I live about 3 hours away from Tempe and I went to pick it up with my dads 3/4 ton chevy truck.

... I feel like I scored a pretty good deal for $400...

THAT is a rather HUGE understatement !!  That's a spectacular deal for that rack.  If I was within a few hundred miles of Tempe I'd be grabbing one too  :)

Thanks gary, yeah i'm pretty happy about it. :D

Archived