echo plugin names to console during bootup

ljm42

Currently, if a plugin throws a generic error message while it is being installed (such as "unary operator expected"), it is very difficult to track down which plugin is responsible.

To solve this, it would be very helpful if unRAID would echo each plugin's name to the console as it is installed.

Currently, if a plugin throws a generic error message while it is being installed (such as "unary operator expected"), it is very difficult to track down which plugin is responsible.

To solve this, it would be very helpful if unRAID would echo each plugin's name to the console as it is installed.

During bootup any plugin which fails to install will have its .plg file moved to the folder plugins-error under /config on your flash device. Do you have such a folder?

Oh, I haven't seen any issues quite *that* bad.

But I have had two issues recently where plugins were throwing error messages on the console during bootup, and it was very hard to figure out which plugins were the cause.

The most recent looked something like this:

cpuload started
/bin/bash: line 34: [: too many arguments
/bin/bash: line 34: [: missing ']'

unRAID Server OS version 6

Tower login:

I was pretty sure it was related to the IMPI plugin, but before reporting it I had to uninstall the plugin and reboot to confirm there were no errors, then reinstall the plugin and reboot to confirm the errors came back.  More details here

Another time I saw this on the console:

cpuload started
grep: /proc/mdcmd: No such file or directory

Tower login:

It took quite a bit of work to narrow it down to one of the Dynamix plugins, then I reported it here

Both of these would have been significantly easier to track down if unRAID automatically added "Installing [plugin name]" to the console, like this:

cpuload started
Installing Nerdpack
Installing dynamix.active.streams
Installing dynamix.cache.dirs
Installing dynamix.file.integrity
Installing IPMI
Installing Open Files

unRAID Server OS version 6.3.0-rc3

Tower login:

Oh, I haven't seen any issues quite *that* bad.

But I have had two issues recently where plugins were throwing error messages on the console during bootup, and it was very hard to figure out which plugins were the cause.

The most recent looked something like this:

cpuload started

Tower login:

I was pretty sure it was related to the IMPI plugin, but before reporting it I had to uninstall the plugin and reboot to confirm there were no errors, then reinstall the plugin and reboot to confirm the errors came back.  More details here

Another time I saw this on the console:

cpuload started

Tower login:

It took quite a bit of work to narrow it down to one of the Dynamix plugins, then I reported it here

Both of these would have been significantly easier to track down if unRAID automatically added "Installing [plugin name]" to the console, like this:

cpuload started
Installing Nerdpack
Installing dynamix.active.streams
Installing dynamix.cache.dirs
Installing dynamix.file.integrity
Installing IPMI
Installing Open Files

unRAID Server OS version 6.3.0-rc3

Tower login:

Those errors that you're seeing aren't from an install per se, but rather execution of the files.  Those files could be executed either at plugin install or at disk_mounted, etc.  The local display winds up being the output for error messages if the author doesn't choose to redirect them (usually to /dev/null).

During plugin install, errors are redirected to the syslog and/or the install plugin pop up window.

Personally, as an author, I find any local errors displaying on the console actually useful because it tells me that I have an issue, so unless I absolutely have to I choose not to redirect error messages to /dev/null

Unfortunately, it can be a bit of a eyesore for an end user seeing those messages...

• 1 month later...

Those errors that you're seeing aren't from an install per se, but rather execution of the files.

I had to think about this for a while, but I see your point.

Personally, I would still like to see plugin names echoed to the console when they are installed during boot. It seems strange that the system is super chatty during boot, right up until the end, then nothing.  You see "cpuload started" and then it appears to pause until finally the login prompt shows up.  A little more feedback here would be nice.