Auto-update docker containers

If you add this, make certain to add it as an option to users. I absolutely do not want my docker containers updating without me being aware of the updates.

This. 1000 times, this!

Some updates require some preparation work and if they automatically update you don't get the chance to do that work, and you could break your install.

If there's an option for the author to prevent an auto-update when he releases an update because he knows that the users will have to do some work, that would also be very beneficial.

Or at the least add an "Update All" button... one by one yeesh! (Plugins too!)

You can do that with the "docker buttons" plugin

I have "Docker Buttons" and the only thing I actually use it for is to stop them all before stopping the array.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

FYI, looks like gfjardim has deprecated the docker buttons plugin (I'm assuming that its going to be incorporated into 6.3RC7) so if you install the update that's now available, it's going to automatically uninstall itself.

Which ultimately means that if integration is the reason for the deprecation then you will henceforth be unable to perform new updates of the plugin on any unRaid version even if it doesn't include it.  Why he chose to do it that way instead of performing a conditional uninstall I don't know or understand (but I'm sure there is a reason for it  :o )

Net result is that if you want to use the docker buttons plugin do not upgrade it if the reason for the deprecation is that its now integrated in the next 6.3RC (otherwise you are now forced to upgrade the OS whether you are comfortable doing that or not) and going forward if you do not already have it, then its basically impossible to install it on any unRaid version.

FYI, looks like gfjardim has deprecated the docker buttons plugin (I'm assuming that its going to be incorporated into 6.3RC7) so if you install the update that's now available, it's going to automatically uninstall itself.

Which ultimately means that if integration is the reason for the deprecation then you will henceforth be unable to perform new updates of the plugin on any unRaid version even if it doesn't include it.  Why he chose to do it that way instead of performing a conditional uninstall I don't know or understand (but I'm sure there is a reason for it  :o )

Net result is that if you want to use the docker buttons plugin do not upgrade it if the reason for the deprecation is that its now integrated in the next 6.3RC (otherwise you are now forced to upgrade the OS whether you are comfortable doing that or not)

Nope. I deprecated "Docker Buttons" in favor of the more comprehensive "Advanced Buttons" plugin. If one have "Docker Buttons" installed, it will we removed and "Advanced Buttons" installed in place.

The template just got included in the repository.

Net result is that if you want to use the docker buttons plugin do not upgrade it if the reason for the deprecation is that its now integrated in the next 6.3RC (otherwise you are now forced to upgrade the OS whether you are comfortable doing that or not)

Nope. I deprecated "Docker Buttons" in favor of the more comprehensive "Advanced Buttons" plugin. If one have "Docker Buttons" installed, it will we removed and "Advanced Buttons" installed in place.

cool  ;D  Although I was hoping for integration as its something that's lacking from the system

What does save current containers & restore containers do? (restore is always greyed out even after I save)

EDIT: nevermind.  Figured out what you're doing there.  Nice addition.  Wish I thought of it

cool  ;D  Although I was hoping for integration as its something that's lacking from the system

Maybe at some point LT decides to add it back, since batch container operations existed on the old Extended Docker Manager" plugin.

Major changes from "Docker Buttons" to "Advanced Buttons":

1) All Docker and Plugins operations are done in background, avoiding webui from freezing;

2) All status are exhibited in notification popups instead of SweatAlert popups, which is far less obstructive;

3) If you enable Docker's "Advanced View", you have more options like "Save Current Containers" and "Restore Previous Containers" which can be used to help recover from a docker image corruption with a simple click.

About "Save Current Containers" and "Restore Previous Containers":

"Save Current Containers" will store your current Docker containers, their current state (start/stopped) and autostart configuration. "Restore Previous Containers" will be disabled if none of your saved containers are absent. If you uninstall one of the saved containers, for an example, the button will be enabled.

Maybe at some point LT decides to add it back, since batch container operations existed on the old Extended Docker Manager" plugin.

Major changes from "Docker Buttons" to "Advanced Buttons":

1) All Docker and Plugins operations are done in background, avoiding webui from freezing;

2) All status are exhibited in notification popups instead of SweatAlert popups, which is far less obstructive;

3) If you enable Docker's "Advanced View", you have more options like "Save Current Containers" and "Restore Previous Containers" which can be used to help recover from a docker image corruption with a simple click.

About "Save Current Containers" and "Restore Previous Containers":

"Save Current Containers" will store your current Docker containers, their current state (start/stopped) and autostart configuration. "Restore Previous Containers" will be disabled if none of your saved containers are absent. If you uninstall one of the saved containers, for an example, the button will be enabled.

i'm not a fan of the notification messages that pop up and seem to be persistent when i check for plugin updates and or install plugin updates.

can they be set to time out after a certain time, or is there something i can set manually somewhere for them to not show ?

i'm not a fan of the notification messages that pop up and seem to be persistent when i check for plugin updates and or install plugin updates.

can they be set to time out after a certain time, or is there something i can set manually somewhere for them to not show ?

Not for now. Click inside the popup and you will see why. A drop-in replacement must be able to present logs of what it just run.

• 2 months later...

Doh, I had that already.. Maybe I didnt leave it enough time to do the auto update...  

One general comment, there are many "redundant" threads here which never get marked when resolved etc...  I guess that happens everywhere but with unRAID getting so many tweaks updates and community stuff its more noticable?!

Thanks guys, Squid and CHBMB :-)

1 minute ago, methanoid said:

Maybe I didnt leave it enough time to do the auto update...

Updates are disabled by default.  You have to set them up..

2 minutes ago, methanoid said:

One general comment, there are many "redundant" threads here which never get marked when resolved etc...

One of the downsides of a very active community