HP H240 Smart HBA Support (in HBA Mode)

ezhik

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Is there any news regarding this? Is this HP H240 HBA card working fine with the newest release of Unraid? Just bought 1 for a near future build. 

According to the wiki it works sinds 6.3.2 so guess i'm save :)

Edited by RobinM
  • 4 weeks later...

As @RobinM, I'd like to know if there is any news on the HP H240 HBM support.

I'd like to build a system containing 2-3 of these cards, and since they are rather affordable while beeing comparably performant, I'd like to opt for these cards.

As @RobinM already stated the official Hardware Compatibility List lists the H240 as working since unRAID v6.3.2, but what with @Tvede? (Btw. Any news from you @Tvede?)

Since we are at unRAID v6.3.5, I thought, I'D ask again.

Greetings,

RaEyE

• Upvote 1
  • 1 year later...

Reviving an old thread as we seem to have made some progress :)

@RaEyE

I just booted unraid 6.5.3 with 2 x H240's that have the following connected to it:

8 x HGST Ultrastar 4TB

2 x Micron 1TB SSDs

Tested copying the files from and to the array (using samba shares), running md5's for confirmation of the data integrity.  Success!

The only thing that is not working - is the temperature reporting.

Attaching screenshot with parity check running as a confirmation.

@limetech @RobJ can we fix the temperature reporting?

Screenshot from 2018-09-01 18-12-34.png

Edited by ezhik
35 minutes ago, bonienl said:

What is the output of

smartctl -A /dev/sdX

(replace X with the desired disk letter)

That does not work.

What does work is:

smartctl -A -d cciss,1 /dev/sdX

or

smartctl --attributes --device=cciss,1 /dev/sdX

--

~# smartctl --attributes --device=cciss,1 /dev/sdb
smartctl 6.6 2017-11-05 r4594 [x86_64-linux-4.14.49-unRAID] (local build)
Copyright (C) 2002-17, Bruce Allen, Christian Franke, www.smartmontools.org

=== START OF READ SMART DATA SECTION ===
SMART Attributes Data Structure revision number: 16
Vendor Specific SMART Attributes with Thresholds:
ID# ATTRIBUTE_NAME          FLAG     VALUE WORST THRESH TYPE      UPDATED  WHEN_FAILED RAW_VALUE
  1 Raw_Read_Error_Rate     0x000b   100   100   016    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  2 Throughput_Performance  0x0005   138   138   054    Pre-fail  Offline      -       76
  3 Spin_Up_Time            0x0007   121   121   024    Pre-fail  Always       -       631 (Average 646)
  4 Start_Stop_Count        0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       398
  5 Reallocated_Sector_Ct   0x0033   100   100   005    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  7 Seek_Error_Rate         0x000b   100   100   067    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
  8 Seek_Time_Performance   0x0005   140   140   020    Pre-fail  Offline      -       26
  9 Power_On_Hours          0x0012   096   096   000    Old_age   Always       -       30160
 10 Spin_Retry_Count        0x0013   100   100   060    Pre-fail  Always       -       0
 12 Power_Cycle_Count       0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       394
192 Power-Off_Retract_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       805
193 Load_Cycle_Count        0x0012   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       805
194 Temperature_Celsius     0x0002   176   176   000    Old_age   Always       -       34 (Min/Max 15/54)
196 Reallocated_Event_Count 0x0032   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
197 Current_Pending_Sector  0x0022   100   100   000    Old_age   Always       -       0
198 Offline_Uncorrectable   0x0008   100   100   000    Old_age   Offline      -       0
199 UDMA_CRC_Error_Count    0x000a   200   200   000    Old_age   Always       -       0

Edited by ezhik
15 minutes ago, ezhik said:

smartctl -A -d cciss,1 /dev/sdX

This particular command needs to be added to the list of custom controllers.

Can you make a feature request with the info you have given here, so it is more visible and doesn't get lost.

Scrap that it is already under feature requests.

Edited by bonienl
  • Like 1
1 minute ago, bonienl said:

This particular command needs to be added to the list of custom controllers.

Can you make a feature request with the info you have given here, so it is more visible and doesn't get lost.

Isn't this thread as a whole a feature request? Without this command we do not have proper support of the controller.

I'd argue the necessity of creating a separate thread for this specific command. I say this should stay here and be included as part of THIS feature request.

7 hours ago, bonienl said:

I added "HP" as a SMART controller choice.

And corrected the bug which prevented to change the controller type under Global SMART settings.

You rawk!

Could you also please validate whether or not this bug is related to settings not being saved on reboot? Meaning, if I change FTP Server from Enabled to Disabled, upon reboot it goes back to Enabled.

Edited by ezhik
3 minutes ago, bonienl said:

This is a known behavior. FTP server has no setting saved, which means that on reboot it goes back to default (enabled).

Not to digress from the original conversation, can this be corrected? If this a longer a conversation, I don't want to get started on this here. Let's take it to IRC? ;)

• 1 month later...

dear all, first time i'm asking for help so please be gentle

so i purchased a used H240, installed on mobo and the "C1" led is solid green on the HBA no other lights just goes straight to C1 green- i believe this has something to do with crypto according to user manual i found-no idea what this means- in any case i enter into mobo bios and card is not shown filled on PCI e slot(for info msi h81 p33 mobo) goes without saying that card was not detected by unraid 6.5

-i tried downloading the hp smart array administrator and booted into it but obviously that didnt work and shows no controllers detected 

-i read that the card should be on firmware 4.52 or later- but i have no way to check what the firmware is as the card not picked up at bios level so hpssa cant see it and neither will downloading firmware from HP work cos how would you update it 

so im stuck thinking that this maybe a faulty card as mobo is good, pcie slots working just fine- im assuming if card not seen in bios then nothing can be done to flash firmware etc.

can someone confirm that i have wasted my money and the card is for sure useless or is there some hope??

please help

thanks 

daryl

• 4 months later...

Got a cheap HPE 240 it shows up in UnRaid and the hard disk shows up in log but can't see anywhere in my webui.I tried with my other hard disks but none of them will show up.Attaching the log!

Version: 6.7.0-rc5

Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: scsi host2: ahci
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: scsi host3: ahci
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: HP HPSA Driver (v 3.4.20-125)
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: scsi host4: ahci
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: hpsa 0000:2f:00.0: Logical aborts not supported
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: scsi host5: ahci
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: scsi host6: ahci
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: scsi host7: ahci
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: scsi host8: ahci
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: scsi host9: ahci

Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: scsi host12: hpsa
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: hpsa can't handle SMP requests
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: hpsa 0000:2f:00.0: scsi 12:0:0:0: added RAID              HP       H240             controller SSDSmartPathCap- En- Exp=1
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: hpsa 0000:2f:00.0: scsi 12:0:1:0: masked Direct-Access     ATA      ST3500320AS      PHYS DRV SSDSmartPathCap- En- Exp=0
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: hpsa can't handle SMP requests
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: scsi 12:0:0:0: RAID              HP       H240             2.52 PQ: 0 ANSI: 5
Mar 15 10:46:48 Media-NAS kernel: scsi 12:0:0:0: Attached scsi generic sg11 type 12

media-nas-diagnostics-20190314-2200.zip

@limetech @RobJ

Edited by mAYH3M
  • 1 year later...

Hey folks,
Sorry to revive this thread, but after a few hours I've finaly succeed to mount my HDDs on two HP H240 HBA (unRAID 6.8.3).

Don't know if anyone already gave this tips but I leave this post here so that I can help someone who, like me, following the purchase of an H240 card will not be able to operate it directly because you have to reset and turn on the HBA mode. I came across this topic while looking for a solution to my problem and it gave me a fairly fruitful starting point in my research.

So, you, little unRAIDnewbie who's looking to save some bucks and have plenty of SATA ports on your rig, be advised:
There's really no big deal when you've got the right tool.

I've seen a few people talking about the HP-SSA but this is not the one.

You've must try the Service Pack for Proliant (SPP).

For those who struggling to find the software to be used, I strongly recommend you googling this version ..
"SPP2017101" (you'll know where to find it;)

- Mount it with the HP USB creator included in ISO

- Boot on the USB key

- Wait a bit ..
- Agree to the terms and select next,
- At this point, you can choose to update the firmwire on the left, and manage your array on the right.
- When you go the management tab, you'll see your card on the left side, click on it (don't mind the warning, it's only if an array is mounted).

- Normaly there's only two option: Power Management / Switch to HBA mode
- Select the obvious one, I've not tried the firmware update, feel free to do it.
- Try to reboot the soft but if you got stuck after quite a time, hard reset it ..

Et voilà !

Hope this can help a few 😃

Keko

Edited by Keko
  • Like 2
5 hours ago, Keko said:

Hey folks,
Sorry to revive this thread, but after a few hours I've finaly succeed to mount my HDDs on two HP H240 HBA (unRAID 6.8.3).

Don't know if anyone already gave this tips but I leave this post here so that I can help someone who, like me, following the purchase of an H240 card will not be able to operate it directly because you have to reset and turn on the HBA mode. I came across this topic while looking for a solution to my problem and it gave me a fairly fruitful starting point in my research.

So, you, little unRAIDnewbie who's looking to save some bucks and have plenty of SATA ports on your rig, be advised:
There's really no big deal when you've got the right tool.

I've seen a few people talking about the HP-SSA but this is not the one.

You've must try the Service Pack for Proliant (SPP).

For those who struggling to find the software to be used, I strongly recommend you googling this version ..
"SPP2017101" (you'll know where to find it;)

- Mount it with the HP USB creator included in ISO

- Boot on the USB key

- Wait a bit ..
- Agree to the terms and select next,
- At this point, you can choose to update the firmwire on the left, and manage your array on the right.
- When you go the management tab, you'll see your card on the left side, click on it (don't mind the warning, it's only if an array is mounted).

- Normaly there's only two option: Power Management / Switch to HBA mode
- Select the obvious one, I've not tried the firmware update, feel free to do it.
- Try to reboot the soft but if you got stuck after quite a time, hard reset it ..

Et voilà !

Hope this can help a few 😃

Keko

Welcome to the forum and thank you for the contribution! I no longer own H240s, however I am sure somebody else would definitely be able to leverage your advise!