unRAID Server Release 4.5.3 Available

Figures!  I just bought two Adaptec 1430SA cards and would have preferred the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8 (half the cost).  Oh well, that's the way it goes.  Now if only the rest of my stuff would get here so I can finish the build and start the long road of data migration.

While support for the Supermicro 8-port card is GREAT  (I've been TRYING to find 1430's as well for several weeks -- I called Adaptec and they expect these to be shipping again by the end of this month ... they had some issues with their suppliers),  it is NOT "half the cost".      The Supermicro requires a pair of 8087 SAS breakout cables [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116097&cm_re=8087_cable-_-16-116-097-_-Product]  or, if you're using a chassis with the SAS connectors, a pair of 8087-8087 cables [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116093&cm_re=3Ware_8087_cable-_-16-116-093-_-Product ].

While support for this card is GREAT -- I'll probably use one -- and is especially nice if you're using the newer Norco with the SAS connectors (since you'll have far fewer internal cables],  it is not quite the price advantage you noted.    Newegg sells the 1430's for $88 (when they have them) ... about $180 for a pair.    The Supermicro plus two cables will be ~ $150.  A nice savings, but far from "half".

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Preliminary testing... sustained 40MB/sec writing to parity protected drive over the LAN.... no spikiness.

Wow !!   I presume this performance is using 1430's -- right?

It'd be VERY interesting to see what kind of performance the Supermicro card gives -- I've been "ready" to build a nice new C2SEA-based system for several weeks, but have been waiting availability of the 1430's.    At this point I'm tempted to order the Supermicro card and go ahead with the build -- but I'd sure like to see some performance stats from the Supermicro card.    Perhaps Tom can post some data ??  :)     [Or anyone else who has that card]

One other thought -- are all your drives 7200rpm drives?    Or is this performance with some of the high-capacity lower-RPM drives (WD Green or Seagate 5900rpm units) ??

Added later:   Chris -- just noticed your post as I posted my last two notes ... it would be great if you would post some write speeds after your new parity drive is finished.    Also, where did you buy your cables?

Guest smnas

I've just updated to 4.5.3, and it boot up just now, it's coming up Roses! Cheers Lime Technology! These updates are more promising then Windows Updates, hehehe...  ;D

Guest smnas

From a quick glance, it seems to initialize the card and it drops it off again. Are you certain the connector of the patch lead is fine and not dodgy?

I take it is it a Intel Pro 1000 NIC or something similar right? Is unRAID set to receive a IP address from a DHCP server on your LAN or have you got it set to a particular IP? If it is set to DHCP, assign it an IP in the Setting options and see how you go. Good Luck!

Tom,

Will 5.3 support two of these cards?    Just curious if this now means a C2SEA motherboard can be used to build a maxed-out Pro system.     Two of these cards would support a total of 22 drives -- two more than Pro supports (or I guess that's one more if you count a cache drive ... although I don't plan to use one).

I may have to change my mind about the case I buy !!    I would have already bought it -- in fact, I've ordered it twice ... but both times got notes back that they couldn't process the order because they were out-of-stock.    it seems the Lian-Li PC-A17B's are also in very short supply !!     I'm really tempted to buy a PC-P80 =>  the door-mounted fans should give spectacular airflow through the drives in the IcyDock cages -- and it's big enough to hold 4 of the cages !!     You should consider that case for your forthcoming 20-drive system ... although it IS a bit pricey (Case + 4 IcyDock 5-in-3's = ~ $750).

While support for this card is GREAT -- I'll probably use one -- and is especially nice if you're using the newer Norco with the SAS connectors (since you'll have far fewer internal cables],  it is not quite the price advantage you noted.    Newegg sells the 1430's for $88 (when they have them) ... about $180 for a pair.    The Supermicro plus two cables will be ~ $150.   A nice savings, but far from "half".

Unfortunately this card came out with a higher price than expected and without cables. A double whammy. There are cheaper Norco branded cables than the 3ware ones. I picked up 4 of the breakout ones from Mwave for under $60 shipped last fall.

The savings will be nicer for Tom and his server customers because he'll have better pricing on the bulk cables. Individuals get hit hard on the S/H with just two of them.

Oh, I have 4 of the Icy Dock 5-in-3s and they're MUCH more prone to vibration than the Norco 4220.

Edit: I should have included: "When all 4 were populated and used in one system."

Cable is fine.  Tried it just in case though.  Will try a static IP tonight.  I have always had it set to use DHCP.  It appears that it is something with 4.5.3. Going back to 5.5.1 fixes the problem right away.  I have a Asus P5B-VM DO  mobo it my system. Using the onbaord NIC.

Guest smnas

Yeah, for a server it is already good to have it set with it's own static IP address, well that is the way I network servers :). A bit of a curly one just after you updated to 4.5.3 though.

While support for the Supermicro 8-port card is GREAT  (I've been TRYING to find 1430's as well for several weeks -- I called Adaptec and they expect these to be shipping again by the end of this month ... they had some issues with their suppliers),  it is NOT "half the cost".      The Supermicro requires a pair of 8087 SAS breakout cables [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116097&cm_re=8087_cable-_-16-116-097-_-Product]  or, if you're using a chassis with the SAS connectors, a pair of 8087-8087 cables [http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816116093&cm_re=3Ware_8087_cable-_-16-116-093-_-Product ].

While support for this card is GREAT -- I'll probably use one -- and is especially nice if you're using the newer Norco with the SAS connectors (since you'll have far fewer internal cables],  it is not quite the price advantage you noted.    Newegg sells the 1430's for $88 (when they have them) ... about $180 for a pair.    The Supermicro plus two cables will be ~ $150.   A nice savings, but far from "half".

Can somebody please expand on this post regarding the cables necessary to use the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8?  I thought the connectors were the same as SATA so a flat (as opposed to right angle) SATA connector would plug right into the card?  If I'm just interested in expanding my array by 8 drives would 8 SATA cables as shown here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123172

do the trick?  Or am I missing something with the SAS vs. SATA?  I'm also a little confused by the function of the breakout cables.  Do these function as port multipliers or are they simply a better cable management system especially for systems configured with SATA backplanes?

Thanks for any help in answering these questions! 

While support for this card is GREAT -- I'll probably use one -- and is especially nice if you're using the newer Norco with the SAS connectors (since you'll have far fewer internal cables],  it is not quite the price advantage you noted.    Newegg sells the 1430's for $88 (when they have them) ... about $180 for a pair.    The Supermicro plus two cables will be ~ $150.   A nice savings, but far from "half".

You are correct - I didn't realize that special cables were needed.  I found the card and checked for unRAID support before anything else.  In any case I've got the Adaptec cards and I'm perfectly happy with them.

Can somebody please expand on this post regarding the cables necessary to use the Supermicro AOC-SASLP-MV8?  I thought the connectors were the same as SATA so a flat (as opposed to right angle) SATA connector would plug right into the card?  If I'm just interested in expanding my array by 8 drives would 8 SATA cables as shown here:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16812123172

do the trick?  Or am I missing something with the SAS vs. SATA?  I'm also a little confused by the function of the breakout cables.  Do these function as port multipliers or are they simply a better cable management system especially for systems configured with SATA backplanes?

Thanks for any help in answering these questions! 

You need breakout cables.  Mini-SAS to 4 SATA :-

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816103194

something similar to that.  Most seem to be quite expensive on newegg, I got mine for ~$15 each (UK).

Thank you Limetech!  Now to get one of these cards and a couple of those funky cables for my server.  I was surprised to see that Monoprice doesn't sell them...

EDIT:  Found them at ncix for $15.  Ironically I just put in an order at monoprice earlier today for 20 locking SATA cables ::)

i thought we need forward sas cables not reverse.

Thank you Limetech!  Now to get one of these cards and a couple of those funky cables for my server.  I was surprised to see that Monoprice doesn't sell them...

EDIT:  Found them at ncix for $15.  Ironically I just put in an order at monoprice earlier today for 20 locking SATA cables ::)

i thought we need forward sas cables not reverse.

No idea EMKO, thanks for pointing that out.  Is the only difference that the reverse one will plug right into your drives while with the forward one you still need regular SATA cables to plug into the ends of the forward cable?  Just guessing based on the pics...  ???

No idea EMKO, thanks for pointing that out.  Is the only difference that the reverse one will plug right into your drives while with the forward one you still need regular SATA cables to plug into the ends of the forward cable?  Just guessing based on the pics...  ???

I have 10 of the Norco reverse breakout cables with my 4220 cases and AOC2 controllers. They've been problem free for 4 months now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133033

OT, but thanks for doing that 1-wire sensor network write up. I'm setting up OWFS on an ubuntu netbook for 24/7 temperature monitoring of this cooling project. The shell scripts are very helpful.

No idea EMKO, thanks for pointing that out.  Is the only difference that the reverse one will plug right into your drives while with the forward one you still need regular SATA cables to plug into the ends of the forward cable?  Just guessing based on the pics...  ???

I have 4 of the Norco reverse breakout cables with my 4220 cases and AOC2 controllers. They've been problem free for 4 months now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16816133033

OT, but thanks for doing that 1-wire sensor network write up. I'm setting up OWFS on an ubuntu netbook for 24/7 temperature monitoring of this cooling project. The shell scripts are very helpful.

No problem Romir, glad they helped.  Regarding your cooling, wow!  I'll echo another poster in your thread: "You Sir, have my rapt attention."