[SOLVED] Server no longer boots into 6.2.4 (only 6.1.9)

wgstarks

Thanks to everyone for your help. Bios is up to date and it looks like the original problem has been resolved. System is currently running 6.2.4. Can't be sure how long this will last since originally the problem was intermittent, but I have high hopes.

COULD NOT HAVE DONE THIS WITHOUT YOUR HELP.    THANK YOU.

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I thought flashing the bios with latest from SuperMicro had fixed this issue but it looks like I was wrong. Attempted to update to unRaid 6.3 today and I'm having the same problem with reboot after install. I just get a blank console screen after "reading bzimage" "reading bzroot". Nothing on the screen except a flashing cursor. Same thing for safe mode and gui mode.

Well, I thought flashing the bios with latest from SuperMicro had fixed this issue but it looks like I was wrong. Attempted to update to unRaid 6.3 today and I'm having the same problem with reboot after install. I just get a blank console screen after "reading bzimage" "reading bzroot". Nothing on the screen except a flashing cursor. Same thing for safe mode and gui mode.

Without reading through all the posts, does 6.3.0 boot if you download it onto another flash drive, run makebootable, etc

It wouldn't before. Wasn't 6.3.0 of course, it was 6.2.4 and 6.3rc9 that I was testing with. I had to revert to 6.1.9. After flashing my bios to the latest version the problem appeared to be corrected and I could boot 6.2.4. Now it looks like that may have just been a coincidence???

It wouldn't before. Wasn't 6.3.0 of course, it was 6.2.4 and 6.3rc9 that I was testing with. I had to revert to 6.1.9. After flashing my bios to the latest version the problem appeared to be corrected and I could boot 6.2.4. Now it looks like that may have just been a coincidence???

6.3.0 is 6.3.0-RC9 with very minor changes, and nothing within the boot process.  Assuming that all the usual suspects were taken care of in the thread (and with 3 pages, I assume they are) don't know what to tell you  ???

Real shot in the dark here:  Change the cmos battery (probably a CR2032).

The posts state that its an intermittent problem you've been having previously with the same thing.  If the problem corresponds with shutdown's of the server, BIOS settings could be getting reset and/or corrupted.  Change the battery, set the CMOS back up to how it should be and see what happens....

The posts state that its an intermittent problem you've been having previously with the same thing.  If the problem corresponds with shutdown's of the server, BIOS settings could be getting reset and/or corrupted.  Change the battery, set the CMOS back up to how it should be and see what happens....

Thanks. I'm running memtest right now. Ran it for about 30 hours before with no errors so this time it's another shot in the dark. Doubt I'll see any errors, but figured it couldn't hurt anything. i'll grab another battery and try that too.

No luck. Changed the battery but still won't boot into 6.3.0. Tried 6.2.4 as well with the same result. Since this problem first occurred when 6.2 was released and has been intermittent ever since, I have to believe that it must be some change that LT made in 6.2. Version 6.1.9 boots every time without any issues.

• 2 months later...

Finally figured out the cause of this problem. Un-racked my server to install a new cpu just as a guess that maybe that would solve the problem since everybody reporting it uses an Intel Xeon E3-123X. Installed a 1241 which is almost identical and everything was completely resolved. Re-racked the server and connected the old APC console that I usually use and boot issues are back. Not sure of the exact cause, but it appears there was some change to version 6.2+ that causes the boot to freeze when an AP5015 is connected. For now I'll just stick with iKVM Viewer and IPMI.

Archived