Supermicro MB - No Boot, No Post, Flashing Green Light

jrdnlc

One thing I can't tell for sure in the photo => seems VERY unlikely you'd have made this mistake ... but are you CERTAIN the power leads you've plugged in to the CPU-Aux power connectors (the 8-pin connectors) are the EPS12v connectors and NOT 8-pin PCIe connections (which have DIFFERENT voltage outputs).

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

One thing I can't tell for sure in the photo => seems VERY unlikely you'd have made this mistake ... but are you CERTAIN the power leads you've plugged in to the CPU-Aux power connectors (the 8-pin connectors) are the EPS12v connectors and NOT 8-pin PCIe connections (which have DIFFERENT voltage outputs).

You can't fit a PCI-E connector on the CPU AUX or vice versa, they are keyed differently, good thinking from someone  :)

pinout.png.1b42c10db19b1648e868e0e73b09b08b.png

They're the correct cables. They are labeled CPU on both the old and new PSU.

Lol, ya'll are going to laugh on this one.

While i was checking everything i turned it on one last time before removing everything from the chassis to transfer it to my old one my daughter called me so i went outside.

I forgot i left it on so when I return on my monitor screen i see "unRAID Login:_" Iwas in shock and said what the hell? I turned it off, then back again and after ignoring the sympthoms i posted, I let it run for a few seconds more and it POST and BEEPS. I guess it takes a few seconds and it's totally normal to act that way.

I felt so dumb and stupid. Lol

Thank you all once again for trying to help out.

Had you never paid attention to the start-up process in the old case??  It IS indeed normal for some systems to take a few seconds to start the POST process -- in some cases the CPU fan will spin for a second; then stop;  then everything will start up again in a 3-5 seconds and the system will boot fine.

I suspect it's acting exactly how it always has; but apparently you didn't watch it in the past, and hadn't realized there was that delay.

Had you never paid attention to the start-up process in the old case??  It IS indeed normal for some systems to take a few seconds to start the POST process -- in some cases the CPU fan will spin for a second; then stop;  then everything will start up again in a 3-5 seconds and the system will boot fine.

I suspect it's acting exactly how it always has; but apparently you didn't watch it in the past, and hadn't realized there was that delay.

I have never paid attention to it to be honest. When I installed the system in my old case i closed it up and booted it up without paying attention. For some reason when i did it on the new case i decided to pay attention to the boot process and maybe that's why I freaked out.

As soon as the fans would stop, I would shut it down. LOL

Lol, ya'll are going to laugh on this one.

While i was checking everything i turned it on one last time before removing everything from the chassis to transfer it to my old one my daughter called me so i went outside.

I forgot i left it on so when I return on my monitor screen i see "unRAID Login:_" Iwas in shock and said what the hell? I turned it off, then back again and after ignoring the sympthoms i posted, I let it run for a few seconds more and it POST and BEEPS. I guess it takes a few seconds and it's totally normal to act that way.

I felt so dumb and stupid. Lol

Thank you all once again for trying to help out.

I never got it that you turned it off by yourself. Good thing your daughter disturbed you enough to fix the problem  ;D

I've seen quite a few systems that have that basic startup scenario -- i.e. heatsink fan spins; then turns off; then some initialization is done (if you're watching the board there are often a few lights blinking) for a few seconds; then the fan starts running again and the board boots.    The process is usually fairly quick -- a few seconds; but can be a bit longer with server boards (especially with dual processors) ... and if you're not patient and simply turn it off when the fan first stops, you clearly wouldn't notice that it's working as designed.

• 3 years later...