kale-samil introduction

kale-samil

Hello Everyone

This is not just a new Unraid Repository. It is my own webapp written in java.

It's an webapp to access your Samba-Shares via Web-UI.

https://github.com/kale-samil/unraid-docker-templates

Can I ask an experienced developer to check this out please?  This user is brand new, registered minutes before posting, so we have no idea of their intentions or experience.

I do apologize kale-samil for the requested inspection, it's just that we don't know you.  You may after all be completely legitimate, but I'd feel better if we knew you better, before letting users load something to run on their systems, from a very first post.

Can I ask an experienced developer to check this out please?  This user is brand new, registered minutes before posting, so we have no idea of their intentions or experience.

I do apologize kale-samil for the requested inspection, it's just that we don't know you.  You may after all be completely legitimate, but I'd feel better if we knew you better, before letting users load something to run on their systems, from a very first post.

Oh, not their. Its just me :-D

I didn't see that someone others templates where questioned...

How can I legitimate myself?

Sorry kale-samil but your dockerfile downloads a java package and I can see no way to look at the source code of this, short of opening the .jar file.  Where is all the source code?

If you take a look at our Linuxserver  docker containers you'll see that not only do we publish the xml file, the dockerfile, we also link to the original application so the source can be traced upstream. 

Post the source code to your app so we can look through it and verify it doesn't have any nasty surprises.

These "others" write templates for open source projects, typically existing dockers or apps where all that is being done is minor customization for unraid.

You have a totally different thing going.

It is my own webapp written in java.

It's an webapp to access your Samba-Shares via Web-UI.

The fact that it's your own code, with no documentation, no source code, no peer review, nothing, makes this a whole different situation. It apparently provides a gateway between private data smb shares and publishes it via a web page. The security implications are huge!

You're probably right about that, there have probably been a few that passed by, and so far no problems we know of.  But we're trying to be more security conscious, as this community keeps growing.  We've always been a friendly and wide open community, and because we're growing we're becoming more of an attractive target, ripe for exploitation.  It only makes sense we increase our community vigilance.

I think you have had great answers above.  Source code availability would be a great step.  Be nice to also hear about your interest in unRAID, about your own server.

At the same time, more software tools for unRAID users is a great thing!  We're not trying to give you a hard time, just protect ourselves, and the rest of the community.

Archived