How to run teamviewer on unRAID?

wgstarks

I've seen several references to running teamviewer sessions on unRAID and it seemed like a good idea to go ahead and install the docker/plugin since I'm considering putting in a support request with LT, but I haven't been able to find anything in CA or via Google searches. Just wondering how everyone is installing it?

Teamviewer is available for linux so you could run it in a VM..

There are also dockers (though possible not ported to unraid).

However with teamviewer running natively you could only see a telnet window or possible the local GUI..

You would need a docker (or VM) with teamviewer running as well as a browser and a telnet client.. That way you could use it..

I do this (although from a windows vm that I happened to have)

I don't have any VM's setup, so I'm guessing the best approach would be to install teamviewer on one of my macs on the same network (thanks ashman70) and let JonP access the unRAID machine from there. Not sure exactly how they have their support sessions setup, but since it's done on an hourly rate I'd prefer not to waste time if it can be avoided.

However with teamviewer running natively you could only see a telnet window or possible the local GUI..

You would need a docker (or VM) with teamviewer running as well as a browser and a telnet client.. That way you could use it..

Oh Yeah! A Docker would be fantastic! :)

A VM takes 10 minutes to setup, so that can already be done..

True. In fact, this topic makes me want to set one up this weekend!

That said, a Docker would reduce the complexity of the task, especially for anyone who is not familiar with VMs. Also, there is a fairly considerable subset of people who's unRaid setups cannot support VMs at all.

As far as security, which would pose less risk (as far as exposing your network to the world)? A VM or a Docker? Could one be more locked down then the other?

True. In fact, this topic makes me want to set one up this weekend!

That said, a Docker would reduce the complexity of the task, especially for anyone who is not familiar with VMs. Also, there is a fairly considerable subset of people who's unRaid setups cannot support VMs at all.

As far as security, which would pose less risk (as far as exposing your network to the world)? A VM or a Docker? Could one be more locked down then the other?

That is a hard one and I am not really qualified to give an answer..

It would be my assumption that a VM can be more "hardened" and is more "seperated" from the rest of the system..

Now if someone wants to modify the unRAID boot GUI to include TeamViewer ...    :)

I tried once. The problem I hit was include 32bit multilib and make it work. If TeamViewer had a 64bit binary, the work would be cut in half.

I didn't know that.  Seems a little odd they don't have a 64 bit version ...

Now if someone wants to modify the unRAID boot GUI to include TeamViewer ...    :)

I doubt if anyone from Lime Technology could do it - due to licensing restrictions.

The local guinwas made to be able to use the system from console... if you need to use it from another device then that is alteady possible using the webgui..

Unraid is not hardened for internet facing, but that is not an issue, vpn is easy to setup. Preferably outside of the array though, to make sure it is available when the array is started.. a docker for example will not be. Personally I think a router is the most logical place for a vpn server..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

Personally I think a router is the most logical place for a vpn server..
For managing apps and machines, it's the only logical choice.

For remote file access and media streaming, the poor little cpu in most routers can't handle the encryption throughput. A standalone pfsense box on decent hardware or a VPN docker in unraid will have much better bandwidth.

Unraid is not hardened for internet facing, but that is not an issue, vpn is easy to setup. Preferably outside of the array though, to make sure it is available when the array is started.. a docker for example will not be. Personally I think a router is the most logical place for a vpn server..

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

So it's not possible to access the unRAID GUI via the OpenVPN-AS Docker? Wasn't aware of that.

Archived