[FEATURE REQUEST CORE] - Support for Alternate Storage

17 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

What type of storage did you have in mind? Unassigned Devices will allow you to mount disks in many different formats outside of the array.

I believe the OP is talking about boot media other than a flash drive.   

Continual request that pops up all the time because people are so used to flash drives being garbage.  (And as a general rule, they are).  But unRaid's case, the flash drive is pretty much only ever read from not written to, which means that in my case, I've replaced damn near every hard drive I have due to reallocated sectors / whatnot on my oldest server, but its still using my USB1.0 1GB stick.  Anecdotal evidence then suggests that I should replace all my hard drives with flash drives for the best reliability.

Just now, johnnie.black said:

My two oldest serves are also on the original 1GB flashdrives, almost 10 years now, and IMO now with the automatic key replacement this is a non issue.

Furthermore, the direction that LT is taking unRaid it is fairly obvious that within a rev or two (6.5?) that the flash drive will only be used for booting, and not for any writes.  IE: Currently, there is no place anywhere on the flash drive where any info is stored about running VMs (all stored within libvirt.img which exists on the cache drive / array).  I see docker templates being next to be moved off of the flash.

Understood and these are good points with the low writes/reads this is less of an issue I guess, My setup is a little more out of the box then normal so I can see that being a factor for me as well, But it would also be nice to see unraid be a more portable so to speak, I am not talking all hardware support etc just the generic out of the box support.