[SOLVED] Change network speed

b0mb

Hi!

I'm actually preclearing my drives ski that I can start my unraid trial.

The lan connection is actually set to 100 MBit instead of 1 Gbit.

What's the best way to change this permanently in unraid?

b0mb

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 3 mit Tapatalk

Edited by b0mb
It's not a setting, it's automatically negotiated by the card and switch. Check the cabling and connections.

It's all good. I've only switched from OMV to Unraid. All so my Realtek onboard NIC is listing 1000 MBit while using ethtool. But autonegotiate sets the connection to 100 MBit.

Gesendet von meinem Redmi Note 3 mit Tapatalk

problem seems to be back... does any1 know how to solve this problem?

i´ve never had problems with my connection - started with unraid ^^

Settings for eth0:
        Supported ports: [ TP MII ]
        Supported link modes:   10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
                                100baseT/Half 100baseT/Full
                                1000baseT/Half 1000baseT/Full
        Supported pause frame use: No
        Supports auto-negotiation: Yes
        Advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Link partner advertised link modes:  10baseT/Half 10baseT/Full
        Link partner advertised pause frame use: Symmetric Receive-only
        Link partner advertised auto-negotiation: Yes
        Speed: 100Mb/s
        Duplex: Full
        Port: MII
        PHYAD: 0
        Transceiver: internal
        Auto-negotiation: on
        Supports Wake-on: pumbg
        Wake-on: g
        Current message level: 0x00000033 (51)
                               drv probe ifdown ifup
        Link detected: yes

Mainboard is a Asrock j3455 itx with realtek LAN.

b0mb

There's likely a way to hardcode the speed and duplex of your network interface, and give that a shot.  It's not uncommon for a switch port and a NIC to be unable to come together on terms of auto-negotiation speed and duplex. 

Doesn't appear there's a way to hardcode the interface in the GUI.

I've been looking but unable to determine where this might be done.  I was looking at /etc/rc.d/rc.inet1

what´s really wicked... i started bios update from within the asrock bios (latest one already installed), then i´ve bootet unraid und i had a working Gbit Line.... now after a few minutes it changed to 100 MBiT...

that´s really annoying :|

3 minutes ago, gubbgnutten said:

Try replacing the ethernet cable and reboot whatever it is connected to in the other end.

Since yesterday i was running OMV on my server and everything was running well.... so i can´t believe the problem is cable related....

I would be looking at the cable and the switch.  You are the first person that I can recall ever having this type of problem.  (I have had several switches go bad over the years but I have never seen this particular problem. And bad cables are more common than one thinks.  100Mbps needs only four wires of the eight in the RJ-45 and 1Gbps requires all eight wires.)  I understand that the speed is determined by the hardware handshake if all of the voltage and signal levels are correct you get 1Gb connection otherwise, it is a 100Mb.

You could post up a diagnostics file.  There might be something that someone might find in there that might indicate what the problem is...

i will try changing the cable tomorrow but it´s really wicked... 

100 MBIT => reboot => downloading with 450 MBiT@peak => 100 MBiT

hmmmmm

btw. the switch the server is connected to is a cable fritz box ;)

Edited by b0mb

8 minutes ago, b0mb said:

i will try changing the cable tomorrow but it´s really wicked... 

100 MBIT => reboot => downloading with 450 MBiT@peak => 100 MBiT

hmmmmm

btw. the switch the server is connected to is a cable fritz box ;)

Wait, so you're saying that the server is connected to a box on the fritz? ;)

The speed transitions you describe would absolutely be consistent with a bad connection, seems most likely so far, but do post your diagnostics from such a case. Try a different ethernet cable, reboot whatever the server is connected to (the fritzy box) and if possible try using another port on it.

7 hours ago, b0mb said:

what´s really wicked... i started bios update from within the asrock bios (latest one already installed), then i´ve bootet unraid und i had a working Gbit Line.... now after a few minutes it changed to 100 MBiT...

that´s really annoying :|

That's the feature of auto negotiate when both sides don't see eye to eye.  Troubleshot many a performance problem over the years, and there have been more than several occasions when you see the switch and NIC have negotiated different speed and duplex. 

Edited by joedotmac

So after waking the server this morning from S3 i have again 1 GBIT and im leeching stable with around 50 MB/S for about half an hour now.

I´ve set  the dynamix plugin to force GBiT LAN while awaking....

I´ll watch this now and if it turns back i´ll try booting latest linux mint from usb, connect my notebook and change the cable ;)

we´ll see ^^

I do have some suggestions.  If my 'google' on the 'fritz' box is correct, it is a combination modem, router, wireless hub and switch.  That is a lot of functionality to put into one device and the thing could be overheating.  If replacing the cable does not solve the problem, I would add an external switch and have only one connection to the Fritz box's switch. (I personally keep only one connection to my cheap router to keep the temperatures low and thus extend its life and improve its performance.  I have a twenty-four port switch in my setup and I can assure you that each connection you add to a switch will increase its power consumption and temperature!)

Another possible issue could be the length of the cable run between the server and the switch.  There are maximum cable lengths for both cat5 and cat6 cables in the spec's.  (There are difference for both 100Mb and 1Gb.)   Also putting the server to sleep could be a source of the problem.  Make sure that the NIC is not put to 'sleep'!  (This is probably a BIOS setting.)

Make sure you have the latest firmware on the Fritz.

Edited by Frank1940

So problem seems to be solved.

To be honest i build my new server based on apollo lake j3455 last saturday and i did not use my old OMV system that much... before i had a HP Microserver

I´ve put an old 4-Port Gigabitswitch between the server and my fritzbox and everything seems to be fine now.... GiGABiT LAN for around 8 hrs now without any troube ;)