Lime-Technology Shutdown?

oxi

• Replies 212
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...We still don't even know if LimeTech will ever adopt our unofficial version, or use any of it....

I dont think that should be the aim. The aim should be producing the community manual not writing something for Limetech to proof. So by very definition now it exists it will be used :)

...We still don't even know if LimeTech will ever adopt our unofficial version, or use any of it....

I dont think that should be the aim. The aim should be producing the community manual not writing something for Limetech to proof. So by very definition now it exists it will be used :)

Document what the community needs to support itself.  If the community is self supporting, I'm sure limetech will approve.

If not, limetech will advise, or edit.

That's kind of what I meant, though perhaps I didn't articulate it well.  This unofficial manual is for us, by us, and therefore we should do what we want with it.  I like Joe's idea of making all modifications blue, at least temporarily, since it allows us to proof each other easily.  If some blue text hasn't been changed in a few weeks, then it is probably safe to remove the color and adopt it as 'official' (unofficially, of course ;)).

I created a new thread for discussion of this unOfficial unRAID Manual.

I had been pondering the wiki, as I feel it's an area that I can contribute to. As a first time PC-builder/Linux user, I don't have much technical knowledge (I was inordinately pleased last week to work out my first linux command, using cp to copy folders from one disk to another!), but as an editor/publisher I can do words. There are probably many others who, like me, are most unlikely to write a script or package, but might enjoy scouring the forums to develop a new page or section for the wiki.

This scouring is a big part of getting to understand unRAID at present. I've spent hours reading forum threads to understand concepts or new developments. Which I've thoroughly enjoyed, but is a barrier to new users who don't have these hours to spend. And while the current wiki has masses of useful information, it's fragmentary in places, and not comprehensive. Lots of useful info that could help round the wiki out exists in the forum, it's just a question of finding it. (I keep forgetting where I've seen handy hints, for example.)

As to who should write wiki entries, people who are working on code may not have the time to spend doing documentation. Which is where the more general users, such as myself, can help out by producing draft texts, with final checking/updating by experts.

Welcome!!  Welcome!!  You have an enthusiastic backer in me.  I've long been wanting more people involved with the Wiki, especially those with word and styling skills, and time on their hands.  My own contributions have been strictly utilitarian and pragmatic, more designed to make more information available than in presenting it in a complete and polished form.

There are numerous areas of the wiki that are incomplete or could use considerable expansion, most notably the FAQ and Topical Index and How-To's, but many others too.

For any that are interested but believe they lack the wiki skills, please see Start Contributing.

"Do not contact Limeteech LLC for support if you are running any community modifications."

Does this mean not to contact limetech for support in particular about that particular mod?

Or just that if we modify unraid beyond stock in anyway limetech will not provide us support full stop - even if the problem is clearly not related to any modification?

i.e are we saying that if a user modifys unraid then limetech support is no longer an avenue for any problems

My view, which is open to debate, is that Limetech should not be expected to provide support on any unRAID install that is not standard. unRAID is sold essentially as an appliance and modifying it makes support a PITA.

Also I dont think we should require Limetech to stay up to date on every mod that exists and with that expectation I think its fair to ask users not to expect support on modded installs.

It is good practice anyway to revert to stock install if you are having an issue so at this point if the issue hasn't went away contact for commercial support.

To me it makes sense, let Limetech focus on unRAID, us focus on community stuff.

This is the crux of most debates... where is the line. Lets try and decide.

I agree with NAS, LimeTech should only be expected to support stock unRAID.  However, we don't want it to sound like using add-ons voids your chance of ever getting support from LimeTech.  I added a few words (in italics) that I feel make this more clear:

"Please revert to a standard install without addons/plugins before contacting LimeTech for support."

Still no sign of the USB keys or any email communication from Lime-Tech.  I'm reasonable but still somewhat dissapointed in the lack of communication.

Can someone nudge Lime-Tech for me and see if they are sitting on orders?

:-\

I just ordered 2 preconfigured Keys.  Does anyone happen to know which version of Unraid will be loaded?  I've got everything ordered now and I'm really looking forward to this project!

;D

I would be interested to see how long they take to come. Would it be possible to post back when you actually get them ?

Still no sign of the USB keys or any email communication from Lime-Tech.  I'm reasonable but still somewhat dissapointed in the lack of communication.

Can someone nudge Lime-Tech for me and see if they are sitting on orders?

:-\

I just ordered 2 preconfigured Keys.  Does anyone happen to know which version of Unraid will be loaded?  I've got everything ordered now and I'm really looking forward to this project!

;D

I would be interested to see how long they take to come. Would it be possible to post back when you actually get them ?

Ridiculous. Either run a business properly or open source the software.

Want me to make you a key?

Great response.  I pay someone $170, I just expect to receive what I bought or at least have some level communication if there is going to be any delays.  The only reason I bought the keys from Lime-Tech was to guarantee compatability.  I'm considering scrapping the entire Unraid plan and just installing Windows Home Server.  Not what I want, but I have $3000 in hardware sitting idle.

i know.. in fact I have an associates degree in sarcasm.   :P

Also.. I hate to sling mudd in forums, but I don't have any other avenues for this since I have emailed LT support and not got a reply.

---

(Before all Hell breaks loose:  I was just kidding! :-)

I think we can draw some obvious conclusions here. None of which are new but I does end the debate once and for all.

Limetech is a one man company. If it were not servers would be one sale and keys and communications would be getting fulfilled.

This is not a bad thing per say but if you are closing shop for xx days you should say so with clear timescales. Ebay shops do this all the time and no one bats an eye.

Also this has an impact on actual support which we should reflect in the community statement fairly and honestly.

This is the 20th day since this thread was opened and the situation seems unaltered.

Hi dogmanky. Run WHS? I'd wait a bit more. The architecture, the OS and structure in which unRAID is built on is far superier, backwards compatible file system and to my opinion and is much more resilent than WHS.

Sure it has taken a long time so far and I do not hold that against you (I would also feel anonyed if I was in your circumstance) but I'm sure Tom will process your order any time soon and I can only say the time waiting to get your USB key will out weigh the benefit of using unRAID then any other NAS option out there.

You've probably emailed Tom already, but email him again, ask him in a polite way what is happening with your order, his probably inandated with heaps lf work as per normal. Normally when you order a licence for an existing USB drive that you physically own already (giving Tom the GUID of your USB drive), you'll get a licence file for it with in one to two days max, these orders Of having it with a USB drive from Tom himself might take longer I don't know for sure. My 2c worth.

Want me to make you a key?

Great response.  I pay someone $170, I just expect to receive what I bought or at least have some level communication if there is going to be any delays.  The only reason I bought the keys from Lime-Tech was to guarantee compatability.  I'm considering scrapping the entire Unraid plan and just installing Windows Home Server.  Not what I want, but I have $3000 in hardware sitting idle.

I guess I am very lucky.  I must have hit L-T Just right. I mailed LT on Wed 4/7 with an order for 2 Pro keys.  I got back on 4/7 the following reply

Hi Barry,

Thank you for your order.  I have one Flash device in stock with another 40 due to arrive on Friday.  I will ship the one Flash today and I should be able to get the other one in the mail on Friday afternoon.

On Friday I got an email that the second flash had shipped with a useless USPS tracking number.  All USPS track numbers are useless. Both flash drives arrived as expected.

As I said I guess I was just lucky.

I guess I am very lucky.  I must have hit L-T Just right. I mailed LT on Wed 4/7 with an order for 2 Pro keys.  I got back on 4/7 the following reply

Hi Barry,

Thank you for your order.  I have one Flash device in stock with another 40 due to arrive on Friday.  I will ship the one Flash today and I should be able to get the other one in the mail on Friday afternoon.

On Friday I got an email that the second flash had shipped with a useless USPS tracking number.  All USPS track numbers are useless. Both flash drives arrived as expected.

As I said I guess I was just lucky.

That might explain some of it... Stock expected, and a different correspondence with someone seemed to indicate he would be out of the country a week ago.

Tom replied to me this afternoon.  He indicated he was working on a bug related to the format drive button in the web interface and that he had hoped to have it solved by now.  He indicated this was the reason for the delay.  I'm willing to wait a few more days for the fix since I plan to fill the 1200 up!

I did however ask him to please keep us updated.  Even if he just emails me the status.. I'll gladly relay it here.

That's good to hear that he got back to you. Tom is the kind of bloke that doesn't get back to you by choice, but because of the time restrictions that his constantly faces. He always working on improving unRAIDs features and bug fixes and other stuff.

Tom replied to me this afternoon.  He indicated he was working on a bug related to the format drive button in the web interface and that he had hoped to have it solved by now.  He indicated this was the reason for the delay.  I'm willing to wait a few more days for the fix since I plan to fill the 1200 up!

I did however ask him to please keep us updated.  Even if he just emails me the status.. I'll gladly relay it here.

That's good to hear that he got back to you. Tom is the kind of bloke that doesn't get back to you by choice, but because of the time restrictions that his constantly faces. He always working on improving unRAIDs features and bug fixes and other stuff.

It's interesting how all of you here are on first name basis with him.  Am I the only one who never met the guy?