edit files in Appdata share

I've got a problem with a docker container where I need to edit the config.xml file located in the appdata folder, but I am unable to from windows.  I've went into the share, and changed the smb export, and set it to secure, with a user set to read/write.  I can see it over the network from windows 10, and can browse it, but cannot edit it.  Is there a way to do this from windows, or is there some other way to get this accomplished.

• 10 months later...

Hi Gang,

I have found that since upgrading to 6.5, I also cannot edit files anymore using Notepad++. When I try to save I get:

Please check if this file is open in another program.

Files are not open anywhere.

Any file in appdata I have tried gives me this message when saving. Even php files (stored in the apache/www folder) which I created and edit on a regular bases in my Win Notepad++

I will be very cumbersome to edit all now via CLI or CA Config File Editor plugin.

How can I get editing back on in "appdata". Do I remove the CA Config File Editor? Is there a chmod I need to run on the appdata directory?

Many thanks,

H.

• 4 months later...
On 3/23/2018 at 5:53 PM, hernandito said:

Hi Gang,

I have found that since upgrading to 6.5, I also cannot edit files anymore using Notepad++. When I try to save I get:

Please check if this file is open in another program.

Files are not open anywhere.

Any file in appdata I have tried gives me this message when saving. Even php files (stored in the apache/www folder) which I created and edit on a regular bases in my Win Notepad++

I will be very cumbersome to edit all now via CLI or CA Config File Editor plugin.

How can I get editing back on in "appdata". Do I remove the CA Config File Editor? Is there a chmod I need to run on the appdata directory?

Many thanks,

H.

I have the same issue.  Did you ever figure it out?

• 2 months later...

I am having this issue now. I had created a user with my main pc credentials and it was working with my main pc. I did this following the rootshare directions given by spaceinvader one. I never got it working exactly as i wanted with it just being available to my main pc. So i made it public and it worked.

I then removed the user and just wanted to go back to using the shares as i always had done. Now when i log in on my main pc non of the shares will connect at all. I can not connect to the server in the file explorer at all. \\SERVER just doesnt work. I re add the user and all is fine. bare in mind that all the shares are set to public and not secure. (I can still putty in at this point)

I then tried to just make the share appdata secure but with full read write permissions to the user again no joy. I can connect to the shares alright but can not edit files in appdata. 

Appears to be a strange permissions issue. Or maybe not strange at all and im just not getting what im doing wrong. Any help would be appreciated. 

• 1 month later...

If there were previous Windows users associated with share access, perhaps you need to delete the Windows credentials associated with your unRAID server name or IP address in the Windows Credentials Manager.  It will hold on to old credentials associated with old user accounts.  Deleting them forces Windows to authenticate again and you can provide new credentials, if necessary.

This is not a guaranteed fix, but, it has solved some strange share access issues for some.

• 1 year later...

Hello everyone.

I recently upgraded to windows 10. I've got a software which I use to run while on windows 7. It was possible to add tools by simply opening the software editor folder and dropping the require file type. Ever since I upgraded to windows 10, each time I attempt this process, I get an error message telling me the folder is blacklisted... I noticed this folder is a sub to the 'appdata' folder in users (which I've already made visible).

Please anyone knows a way I can go about this?