Docker: Plex via LSIO or Plex Official?

Plex Docker  

73 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hey folks!

I have been using PhAzE's Plex plugin for a long time and now I've decided to go over to docker instead since PhAzE is slowly turning away from the plugin support anyhow.

So which one do you think I should use?

LSIO's docker or Plex's Official one?

~TrueType 

Edited by truetype
4 hours ago, wgstarks said:

Yeah you're right, there's also one from Limetech's repository. Though now I brought up the 2 most popular ones. :)

Do you use the binhex one?

3 hours ago, Zonediver said:

I use the Plex-Docker from Linuxserver.io and had never problems with it.

3 hours ago, DZMM said:

I tend to go for LSIO dockers if one's available as the team are very helpful on this forum

I agree with both of you, LSIO's dockers and team are really awesome, that's exactly my experience too. Though it might be no point to use another one now when Plex themselves have an official docker, I'm wondering. But I guess I'll stick with LSIO once again, they never brought me down before and it seems they are more focused on unraid too. :)

*EDIT* I found this: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/250871/i-was-already-using-the-linuxserver-io-docker-before-do-i-need-to-switch

And I've decided to go with Plex's offical docker. 

Edited by truetype
7 minutes ago, truetype said:

Do you use the binhex one?

No. I use LSIO for Plex, just because it was the first one I installed. Binhex dockers for just about everything else though.

Not sure how many unRAID users have installed the official Plex docker. They came a little late to the party. My guess is that the only real difference would be their level of support. You’ll probably have to judge that for yourself. Plex is my backup app for media viewing so I spend a lot more time on the Kodi forums than Plex.

15 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

No. I use LSIO for Plex, just because it was the first one I installed. Binhex dockers for just about everything else though.

Not sure how many unRAID users have installed the official Plex docker. They came a little late to the party. My guess is that the only real difference would be their level of support. You’ll probably have to judge that for yourself. Plex is my backup app for media viewing so I spend a lot more time on the Kodi forums than Plex.

I've been a plex user for several years and I don't think I've ever got a response to a support issue I've had.  Whereas, with unRAID the support is awesome both the unofficial in the forum and the official team - helping me right now with a disk problem - even over the weekend!

The never ending question.  Which app to use when there are 2 or more "competing" ones.

One way to help differentiate between the two is via the Apps Tab.  Every single docker application if someone has given the container a Star (aka Like) it will appear on the popup.  Also download counts (actually pull counts) for every container (from all users of the container - not just those running unRaid) is also available.  Because of the way that lsio & plexinc handle their upgrades, their download counts are far higher than Binhex or Limetech, but it does give you a basis (albeit not entirely accurate) of what is more popular.

Edited by Squid
1 hour ago, wgstarks said:

I'd like to try Kodi aswell, but as I've understood it there's no transcoding in Kodi yet. I mean, Plex is still the better of the two?

1 hour ago, DZMM said:

I've been a plex user for several years and I don't think I've ever got a response to a support issue I've had.  Whereas, with unRAID the support is awesome both the unofficial in the forum and the official team - helping me right now with a disk problem - even over the weekend!

Yes that's right, same with the LSIO team, they are quick and very kind around here. Like Squid :)

1 hour ago, Squid said:

The never ending question.  Which app to use when there are 2 or more "competing" ones.

One way to help differentiate between the two is via the Apps Tab.  Every single docker application if someone has given the container a Star (aka Like) it will appear on the popup.  Also download counts (actually pull counts) for every container (from all users of the container - not just those running unRaid) is also available.  Because of the way that lsio & plexinc handle their upgrades, their download counts are far higher than Binhex or Limetech, but it does give you a basis (albeit not entirely accurate) of what is more popular.

Hey Squid! :)

Yeah, I've seen that the LSIO's is more popular. Not by much though. But as wgstarks says above the Plex's Official release came a little late, and that would be a plausible reason.

But I'm wondering because I'm here now, migrating from PhAzE's Plex Plugin and therefore I wonder if it's going to be the same thing with LSIO's Plex Docker since there is a Official one now, and most likely that will be more and more popular making LSIO's Plex Docker slowly fading away. I don't know :P 

13 minutes ago, truetype said:

if it's going to be the same thing with LSIO's Plex Docker since there is a Official one now, and most likely that will be more and more popular making LSIO's Plex Docker slowly fading away. I don't know

Push comes to shove the fundamental difference between LSIO / Official Plex and Binhex / Limetech (beyond where support is handled) is that of how updates are handled.  Binhex / LT both have to manually push updates to the apps, whereas LSIO / Official Plex do not and they autoupdate themselves as all else being equal, the application contained within is the same on any flavour.  Side Note, the official Plex is actually based upon lsio's

1 minute ago, Squid said:

Push comes to shove the fundamental difference between LSIO / Official Plex and Binhex / Limetech (beyond where support is handled) is that of how updates are handled.  Binhex / LT both have to manually push updates to the apps, whereas LSIO / Official Plex do not and they autoupdate themselves as all else being equal, the application contained within is the same on any flavour.  Side Note, the official Plex is actually based upon lsio's

Ooh, great with autoupdate. I'll go with LSIO's then :)

I guess the installation is simple as 1, 2, 3 by just reading in the template going to install it now :)

Seems not to be as easy as 1, 2, 3 tho. The template says I should point /media to my media folder, but there's no where in the template to type in the media. Do I have to create the variable myself? The Plex's Official docker seems to have a perfect template. What you think? @Squid  Maybe I can just use Plex's Official Docker's template with LSIO's container instead ;O

Edited by truetype
2 minutes ago, truetype said:

Seems not to be as easy as 1, 2, 3 tho. The template says I should point /media to my media folder, but there's no where in the template to type in the media. Do I have to create the variable myself? The Plex's Official docker seems to have a perfect template. What you think? @Squid  Maybe I can just use Plex's Official Docker's template with LSIO's container instead :o

Just add a path

/media (container path) mapped to /mnt/user/media (or whatever the share is called).  Then create a library by adding the files from /media

• Like 1
3 minutes ago, Squid said:

Just add a path

/media (container path) mapped to /mnt/user/media (or whatever the share is called).  Then create a library by adding the files from /media

Alright, thx! :)

By the way, should it be run in host or bridge? Does it matter really?

Edited by truetype
9 minutes ago, wgstarks said:

Just in case you haven’t seen it, you might want to check out the docker github readme. That’s where LSIO tends to put most of the detailed instructions.

https://hub.docker.com/r/linuxserver/plex/

I think it's kinda hard to understand how I should apply it to the template?

So if I understood it correctly, while I read under the Parameters, and I need to do the following:

• Run the container in Host mode.
  • Add as many paths as I need to my media (they call it "data" under the parameters, but I guess it doesn't matte what ever I call it) Movies, TVs etc.
  • Add path to /transcode

that's about it?

Edited by truetype
1 minute ago, Squid said:

/transcode is optional.  By and large every template available on the apps tab is 100% correct, with only the need to add in mappings to your media shares.

Alright, but I am going to follow jonp's guide to transcode to RAM :)

I have about 20 dockers and this is actually the first time I believe that I have to create mappings when installing a docker. :P 

Just now, wgstarks said:

You can just add a single media path in the docker if it contains all your media folders. Example- my path is /mnt/user/media/  and in the app I set /tvshows to /media/tvshows/ and /movies to /media/movies/ and so on. Maybe that makes sense.?

Great, that makes perfect sense, that's how I had it setup with PhAzE's Plex Plugin.

Now I have installed it, though it says "Not Available" under the version column in the Docker Tab in unraid. Isn't that strange?

1 minute ago, truetype said:

Now I have installed it, though it says "Not Available" under the version column in the Docker Tab in unraid. Isn't that strange?

this and this

21 minutes ago, truetype said:

By the way, should it be run in host or bridge? Does it matter really?

is making me wonder exactly what you diid to install it.