• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

According to this release announcement, the first alpha version of 5.0 should be available for the brave/adventurous sometime before Christmas 2009.

In it he said:

What's next then?  I've already started work on the 5.0 release, with two main goals:

1. Redesign of how unRAID manages share and file secruity.  In the beginning, the only protocol supported was SMB (Windows Networking).  Actually the entire design of unRAID OS is optimized to be a NAS in a Windows world.  As a result, and to speed development, unRAID OS relies on Samba for most security purposes.  The problem with this approach is that other protocols, especially AFP and NFS, do not integrate smoothly.  This has turned out to be a big problem & so it will be addressed.

2. Redesign of the webGui, aka, System Management Utility, aka, "that ugly inflexible user interface".  Along with this is better support for user-created customizations: I want any user-created "plugin" to be able to also be integrated into the webGui - goal being to isolate end user completely from the linux command line.  Actually first release of 5.0-beta1 will include a new webGui framework which uses a completely novel approach and open the door to some very interesting capabilities.

Timeframe?  I wanted to release 5.0-beta1 simultaneous with 4.5-final, but it's going to take some more time.  But I do want to get it out before Christmas (2009) to give you guys something to experiment with in-between catching up with watching all those movies you have on your servers!

Other than that, he recently announced he'll soon be putting out a 4.5.5 release.

Obviously, there is no set schedule.  I've been able to watch a lot of movies while waiting.  ;D

Joe L.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply

Other than that, he recently announced he'll soon be putting out a 4.5.5 release.

Obviously, there is no set schedule.  I've been able to watch a lot of movies while waiting.

What's suppposed to be new in the 4.5.5?

oh, there is also coming a new version of the 4.5.X series.

i suppose i have to watch some movies to  :D

In defense of Tom, there was an intervening functionality/stability issue (the "unformatted" bug) that was a result of a difficult to identify race condition, that diverted development away from 5.x for some time.

ok, that delayed the release of 5.0.

I've been working very hard on 5.0-beta1.  There is still a lot to do but it's very close, and I'm very exited about the final design approach.

Awesome to hear this news. Can you share your excitement with us, and post a screenshot of unRAID 5.0. I can't wait for some more information.

Screen shots of the new GUI or is that still Top Secret. 

you've have the same idea i see!

I've been working very hard on 5.0-beta1.  There is still a lot to do but it's very close, and I'm very exited about the final design approach.

Tom good news indeed. Can you consider having some sort of bugzilla/trac more formal bug and feature tracking system for the 5x branch

I don't think the forum works well for this kind of thing. Especially since the new plugin architecture means alot of feature requests will be completed by 3rd partys

I was planning to buy a NAS (Synology, Qnap) after using WHS for two years. I thought first lets check out available NAS software. I tried FreeNAS, and now unRAID. I must admit i like the concept of unRAID. I don't wanna push things, but when can we expect a beta of unRAID 5.0. I mean a roughly indication... It would be awesome if we have something to play with during summer holidays. The longer i use unRAID the more i love it.  :-*

Tom, I agree with NAS and strongly recommend a formal feature/bug tracking system like Bugzilla.  The only Bugzilla I am familiar with is the one used by Logitech aka Slim Devices for the Squeezebox/server music line.  It is world class.  I am willing to bet that some of the more senior and able members of this forum would be more than willing to lend a hand and handle bug areas for you.  I am no linux expert but am pretty good in networking so I could help out there.

Free:

Mantis (PHP based): http://www.mantisbt.org/

Trac (Ruby): http://trac.edgewall.org/

Not-free:

Jira: http://www.atlassian.com/software/jira

Lighthouse (web-based): http://lighthouseapp.com/

I don't recommend Bugzilla as it's a royal PITA from my experience. I've setup trackers on each of these systems except Lighthouse. There are a few projects I know of that use Lighthouse and swear by it. Of the free ones, I would probably recommend trac. JIRA is great too, but it isn't free. I've set this up on our corporate network a while back and everyone loves it.

What about google code?

http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/GettingStarted

Though not all components of unRAID are open source, probably user contributed plugins will be.  Nevertheless, could I use the issue tracking feature for unRAID OS?  I have no experience with google code btw.

I always forget that one.. But yes, Google Code is definitely a viable alternative even though it's not opensource. You can use it to track issues.. The setup is braindead easy, nothing to configure yourself and it's easily manageable.

Probably your best bet to think about it.

What about google code?

http://code.google.com/p/support/wiki/GettingStarted

Nevertheless, could I use the issue tracking feature for unRAID OS?

I don't have allot of experience with this, yet, I've seen other projects use the issue tracking feature.

I've seen many projects use trac for the projects problem tracking and source code repository.

I have not seen the others in use(but that is just me).

To start it may be easy to use google code so you get a handle on issues/tasks and the project.

I found it to be pretty easy and I recommended it to all the plugin developers.

I like google code.

Also to pick up on the fact you mentioned user contributed plugins - if you're planning to allow these to sit next to unraid on whatever system you settle on this would be outstanding.

More so if approved users can maintain it / update their own individual ones (to make sure updates etc are frequent).

Having everything in one place would be much better than scattered across the forum as it is now. The end result is fantastic but it's a lot of work to get there.

Google code is very good.

The one downside is that you will be requiring users to sign up to google to post and trac.

The advantage of hosting your own is obviously more features but mainly it makes it easier for your existing userbase. The easier you make it for users to post the better it will be.

Its not hard to signup for google but occasionally they require you to do the auth thing via a mobile phone etc. Would not be my primary choice since you already have hosting setup

Perhaps we should discuss what features we actually need/want as a starting point.

I would suggest:

Need

===

Bug reporting

Addon hosting

Feature request tracking

Want

===

SVN/git

Nice to have

========

Feature request tracking voting i.e. all users can vote on what they want the most. I have seen this used to great effect as it stops the regulars dictating what is wanted just by weight of their posts

Nice to have

========

Feature request tracking voting i.e. all users can vote on what they want the most. I have seen this used to great effect as it stops the regulars dictating what is wanted just by weight of their posts

I think this could be quite helpful (as all of the above is too).

It would give a very visual perspective of what the community/consumer wants.

Which software supports this?

I think this could be quite helpful (as all of the above is too).

It would give a very visual perspective of what the community/consumer wants.

Which software supports this?

If I am not mistaken Google Code does using STARS.