newly added 4TB drive shows 4GB used, but it's empty

Also let me add that the 2TB was probably formated with an earlier xfs version, and that's the likely reason it was emptier, xfs started using more space on newer kernels, IIRC a couple of years ago or so.
that would make sense, it was formatted years ago, just after xfs was added to unraid

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Tapatalk

14 hours ago, JustinChase said:

weird.  I wonder why it takes 2GB if I format (erase everything), but 34MB is I just empty it.  What's taking up the 2GB?

Your drive is most probably formatted with an older version of XFS.

It's common that newer versions of FS adds support for new features and so also increases the size of internal data structures. If an FS adds support for checksums on all meta-data, then the newer data structures must has room for storing the checksums. But in general, there are lots of optimizations happening in newer FS versions. Some also needed to make the FS work better with larger disks.

2 hours ago, pwm said:

Your drive is most probably formatted with an older version of XFS.

It's common that newer versions of FS adds support for new features and so also increases the size of internal data structures. If an FS adds support for checksums on all meta-data, then the newer data structures must has room for storing the checksums. But in general, there are lots of optimizations happening in newer FS versions. Some also needed to make the FS work better with larger disks.

hmmm...

seems like re-formatting it might be a good thing.  How do i do that while it's in the array?  it's empty now.

@JustinChase -

Chasing 2G on a disk that is 4T is not so productive. That is 1/2000th of the disk. 0.05%. 

The disk requires some amount of space for the housekeeping areas. Improvements to the filesystem (to allow better recoverability or performance, for example) might up the size of this area slightly but are worthwhile.

Use the disk and enjoy! :) 

On 1/20/2018 at 11:46 AM, johnnie.black said:

Change filesystem to reiser or btrfs, start the array, format, change back to xfs and format again.

That worked great.  My 2TB drive now uses 2GB after reformatting.  i hope I never need the improved recovery stuff, but good to know it's there.

not sure it's worth moving all my files off of the other drives to reformat them, but I did consider it.

7 hours ago, JustinChase said:

not sure it's worth moving all my files off of the other drives to reformat them

If the drives were filled in an orderly fashion, probably not worth it. On the other hand, if you are in the habit of deleting stuff, moving files from one drive to another to "balance" things, overwriting files, all the activities that produce some measure of fragmentation, then perhaps it might be worth it just to get a clean fill. Drives that are thrashed are a little harder to recover, as they are less predictable as far as physical file location when the recovery software is used.

Since modern file systems are designed so fragmentation is not a huge issue any more, defragmenting a drive isn't really a thing. Formatting and putting the data back in one contiguous copy operation will defragment it.

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...