installing docker dependencies?

Brydezen

Hello guys, 

I have been trying to find some information online about installing dependencies into an already working/running docker. I would like to have sickbeard mp4 automator, to transcode my file from sonarr and radarr to .mp4 file for direct play stream to a chromecast. But I have tried so many different things I found online, but haven't gotten anything to work. And then i thought, the community here is so large and great, that someone much know how I can do this the easiest way :D

Best regards, 

Brydezen

Somebody correct me if I'm wrong, but you can't really add dependencies to a running container and have it be persistent across reboots. You would need to clone the github repo and modify the Dockerfile to add the dependency via a RUN command either directly in the Dockerfile itself or via a bash/shell script that gets copied to the container. Then build and run the container.

Edited by MarkusMcNugen

Oh I thought that i could just install them from the terminal. My bad.. But its about; sonarr, radarr and deluge.

sonarr and radarr use this docker container: suitarr and deluge this: deluge - but how does it work with a script vs pulling the image and changing the dockerfile?

I'm trying to add, something to a container, that is based on those dockers but have already some additional information from a main.yml file? 

Just to maybe make it a bit easier to follow me. I'm trying to modifying a script from this github (plexguide) - and wanted to add sickbeard mp4 automator to the three dockers, so I can transcode my files to .mp4 for direct stream to chromecast. I know I could use HandBreak, but I have tested it a bit, and the automator script is ALOT faster in my testing. sometimes up to an hour :o I have tried to just link to the sickbeard folder, but that doesn't work, as the docker don't have the needed dependencies. So I was trying to get docker sonarr dockerfile in the containers, but have failed so hard. Have been trying all day, and I have no clue what to do or where to start. :-( 

I hope i'm not to in the right direction, that would be great. But since this is my first time, trying to modify a docker, is really hard to understand :P

That suitarr container is an abomination in my opinion,

Having said that you could map a file to the cont-init.d directory to install stuff at startup, but in all honesty, if you're starting out learning about docker containers, that suitarr container is not the right place to learn stuff....

• Upvote 1
10 hours ago, CHBMB said:

That suitarr container is an abomination in my opinion,

Having said that you could map a file to the cont-init.d directory to install stuff at startup, but in all honesty, if you're starting out learning about docker containers, that suitarr container is not the right place to learn stuff....

yeah

pick something simpler

another way to add dependencies is to use 

FROM blahblahblah

RUN add some shit via appropriate package manager

8 hours ago, sparklyballs said:

yeah

pick something simpler

another way to add dependencies is to use 

FROM blahblahblah

RUN add some shit via appropriate package manager

Yeah I have found a dockerfile that has all the commands RUN and so on to install the sickbeard automator and ffmpeg and so on. But don't really know how to deploy it with a docker manager called portainer

I'm not using portainer on unraid. I have an Ubuntu VM running with a script called plexguide - that makes it easy to automate movies and tv show downloading with nzget, sonarr, radarr and so on, and support 3 torrent downloaders and so on. It really awesome! And u can do encrypted syncing of your plex data to the cloud, and host all your media there. It can be setup in like 30 minutes. Have been testing it for little over a week now - and is so much easier than manually deploying dockers in unraid. 

But if I download something on my private torrent tracker, most of the bluray rips and so on are in .mkv format. And sickbeard automator, can intercept the completed download from the torrent program, convert it, and pass it back to sonarr/radarr after for renaming and the final uploading to the cloud. But sickbeard aint made to use in dockers, because they are missing the dependencies for ffmpeg and so on :-(

EDIT: My plan with this was too buy a dedicated server, to have this script hosted, as I don't have to run my main computer 24/7 with open ports and so on to the internet. :D + my internet connection is waaaaaay to slow, for watching outside my home network. This is the main reason why I wanna host it outside my network (sadly)

Edited by Brydezen

After a lot of searching on the great big internet, i have fallen over this dude's docker containers on the docker hub: sonarr and radarr with mp4 automator build in, where the config file, is outside the container, to easily make changes to it when u need. Just wanted to give an update if anyone wants to use it also. Its way faster to transcode .mkv files to .mp4 with this than handbrake :D 

Have a great day all!

• 1 month later...
On 2/9/2018 at 2:02 PM, Brydezen said:

After a lot of searching on the great big internet, i have fallen over this dude's docker containers on the docker hub: sonarr and radarr with mp4 automator build in, where the config file, is outside the container, to easily make changes to it when u need. Just wanted to give an update if anyone wants to use it also. Its way faster to transcode .mkv files to .mp4 with this than handbrake :D 

Have a great day all!

in the autoprocess.ini file what did you put for the location of ffmpeg?  I have this container mostly installed. the automator attempts to process the downloads but I don't know where to point it at ffmpeg. I honestly have no idea where it even gets installed.