We're Hiring! Full Stack Developer ×

Issues after installing SSDs in Array

Hello Everyone,

I recently added 2x 240GB SSD's to my array and since then I've been having some small problems.

On the dashboard I get "Array Started" * Starting services... and it never progresses anywhere.

And I've also found that Fix Common Problem is reporting two warnings:

Warnings Found Suggested Fix  
disk5 (SATA_SSD_18011224000427) is an SSD. SSD's are not currently supported within the array, and their background garbage collection *may* impact your ability to rebuild a disk  
disk6 (SATA_SSD_17110624001683) is an SSD. SSD's are not currently supported within the array, and their background garbage collection *may* impact your ability to rebuild a disk

I've moved some VM's to the new drive (disk5) but I'd like to make sure this is all good before I go crazy with making more VMs.

Thank You

9 hours ago, lightsource said:

On the dashboard I get "Array Started" * Starting services... and it never progresses anywhere.

If you're still running 6.4.0, upgrade to 6.4.1 (May have to do it manually - download the 6.4.1 zip file from limetech's website, and extra all the bz* files from it and overwrite the ones on the flash drive)

There was a bug in 6.4.0 that caused this.  After 6.4.1 is up, you'll still have to make a change in VM Settings.

5 hours ago, johnnie.black said:

Please post your diagnostics, if you can't get them form the GUI type diagnostics on the console.

I've attached it to this post. Thank You!

2 hours ago, Squid said:

If you're still running 6.4.0, upgrade to 6.4.1 (May have to do it manually - download the 6.4.1 zip file from limetech's website, and extra all the bz* files from it and overwrite the ones on the flash drive)

There was a bug in 6.4.0 that caused this.  After 6.4.1 is up, you'll still have to make a change in VM Settings.

Okay, will do. Should I wait until @johnnie.black read's the diagnostic? 

What is the change that I need to preform on VM Settings?

tower-diagnostics-20180216-0919.zip

Edited by lightsource
2 minutes ago, lightsource said:

What is the change that I need to preform on VM Settings?

On 1/16/2018 at 11:38 PM, ljm42 said:

• If your VMs will not start after upgrading, go to Settings -> VM Manager, switch to Advanced View, and make sure all of the paths are valid. Here are the default settings, but make sure the paths actually exist on your system:

default VM storage path -> /mnt/user/domains/    (this is DOMAINDIR in \\tower\flash\config\domain.cfg)
    default ISO storage path -> /mnt/user/isos/    (this is MEDIADIR in \\tower\flash\config\domain.cfg)

For more info see this

Doesn't matter.  Its just a bug where the default paths in VM settings have to be filled out and be valid locations.  Except that your diagnostics show that the 2 entries are filled out.  @ljm42 is the guy who figured all this stuff out re why the GUI thinks the array isn't running.

I would guess that @johnnie.black wants to see the diagnostics to see if the message from Fix Common Problems is valid or not for the type of SSDs that you have.

24 minutes ago, Squid said:

Except that your diagnostics show that the 2 entries are filled out.

Yeah, the paths are filled in so it isn't the usual problem. 

I'd uninstall the preclear plugin. It is known to cause problems in 6.4.x.

I'd upgrade to 6.4.1 as well.  There isn't really much point in troubleshooting on an outdated version.

59 minutes ago, Squid said:

Doesn't matter.  Its just a bug where the default paths in VM settings have to be filled out and be valid locations.  Except that your diagnostics show that the 2 entries are filled out.  @ljm42 is the guy who figured all this stuff out re why the GUI thinks the array isn't running.

I would guess that @johnnie.black wants to see the diagnostics to see if the message from Fix Common Problems is valid or not for the type of SSDs that you have.

Got it!

30 minutes ago, ljm42 said:

Yeah, the paths are filled in so it isn't the usual problem. 

I'd uninstall the preclear plugin. It is known to cause problems in 6.4.x.

I'd upgrade to 6.4.1 as well.  There isn't really much point in troubleshooting on an outdated version.

Done, and Done. I've upgraded to 6.4.1 and the Starting Services... message is no longer showing up.

8 minutes ago, johnnie.black said:

No, I understood the array was not starting, so maybe there was filesystem corruption, but the array is started on the diags.

Upgrading to 6.4.1 fixed the issue.

At this point the only issue I have is with Fix Common Problems:

disk5 (SATA_SSD_18011224000427) is an SSD. SSD's are not currently supported within the array, and their background garbage collection *may* impact your ability to rebuild a disk

disk6 (SATA_SSD_17110624001683) is an SSD. SSD's are not currently supported within the array, and their background garbage collection *may* impact your ability to rebuild a disk

If I ignore these warnings and I re-run the extended test will these show up again if the problem still exists, or will they be permanently suppressed?

• 2 years later...