stuck at "Syncing File system..." on new USB setup?

jpotrz

• 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Exactly the same problem. Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16gb. Windows 7. Previous USB created on the same machine. Stuck at Syncing file system.

Zip install failed as 'syslinux.exe stopped working'.

Changing to a different (Windows 10) PC fixed the problem.

• 2 months later...

I'm now having this issue as well on a Windows 7 machine with a Sandisk USB 2.0 FIT and also with a Silicon Power USB 2.0 drive. It just hangs at "Syncing File System" after showing about 98% complete. This is obviously a real problem and hopefully something that will get addressed. I know the USB creator is relatively new so a few bugs are likely to be expected. Sadly it also forces you to re-download the OS image each time you try something different. I've easily used up over a gigabyte of bandwidth trying different drives and ports. It would be nice if the tool had the option to use a local copy of the OS image and/or it saved the downloaded version.

1 hour ago, Squid said:

Alternative is to simply download the .zip file instead of the creator.

Format (as FAT32) the flash drive.  Name it UNRAID

Copy all of the files from the zip to the flash drive

Run (as administrator) MakeBootable.bat

Yes but it defeats the purpose of the new easier-to-use tool, and may well cause some to give up on unRaid, if the recommended download and tool fails. I've been using unRaid since before the tool was released and know about the old way. It also doesn't help that unRaid is significantly different than any other NAS OS I know of. The others generally use an image file and a tool like Rufus, Win32DiskImager, etc. to create a bootable USB drive.

• 3 weeks later...
On 11/4/2018 at 6:35 PM, dev_guy said:

Yes but it defeats the purpose of the new easier-to-use tool

I was curious about this so I thought I'd put it to the test.

I used a real bare metal Windows 7 PC and downloaded the latest Unraid USB Flash Creator for Windows, version 1.5, built on October 25, 2018. I downloaded the installer zip for Unraid 6.6.5 and used the Local Zip option in the Creator tool and I can confirm that, while it works every time with the 8 GB, 16 GB and 32 GB Verbatim Nano USB devices that I normally use, it will not work with 8 GB or 16 GB SanDisk Cruzer Fit devices - I tried two of each.

I tried two front panel USB 2 sockets and two rear panel USB 2 sockets and every time the Verbatim devices were successfully written but the SanDisk devices failed at the "Syncing file system" message.

I then used the manual method on all four SanDisk devices, formatting them FAT32 and naming them UNRAID, dragging the files directly out of the zip and dropping them into the root of the flash, and running the make_bootable.bat file as Administrator. Created this way, all four work perfectly.

So, while the old manual method works there is a problem with the Creator tool.

Edited by John_M
typo
  • 4 weeks later...

I also recently had this issue, right as i was about to try the manual way, i renamed the usb to "UNRAID" as per what it requires, i had forgot to close the usb installer, and as soon as i renamed it, it worked. In my case, the usb drive had no name at all, and adding a name fixed it. hope this helps someone!

• Like 6
  • 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 7:36 AM, psych_0xd said:

I also recently had this issue, right as i was about to try the manual way, i renamed the usb to "UNRAID" as per what it requires, i had forgot to close the usb installer, and as soon as i renamed it, it worked. In my case, the usb drive had no name at all, and adding a name fixed it. hope this helps someone!

This worked for me. Version 1.5b of installer. Kingston DataTraveler 16GB.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 1:36 PM, psych_0xd said:

Worked for me too! Using some "no-name" 4GB stick & W7x64 (drive name was the generic "removable device")

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/20/2018 at 7:36 AM, psych_0xd said:

This also worked for me. Thank you.

• 5 months later...

This is still definitely an issue.  I have been testing Unraid via the Trial on an old USB stick for a few days while I build my new Unraid server.... ordered a new Sandisk Cruzer (Sandisk 32GB Cruzer Fit USB 2.0 Flash Drive (SDCZ33-032G-G35), and when trying to write the ZIP backkup of my original Unraid USB (backed up via Web UI) I consistently got the very same result with it immediately freezing with status "syncing file system".  After attempting some of the workarounds here I did get it to write by manually formatting & renaming the USB drive name while it showed the error "syncing file system", to which the USB installer would resume and appear to complete, but only ~7GB of the 32GB was shown as being formatted, and needless to say it wasn't bootable.

The only thing that finaly worked was the completely manual process from the Unraid site (https://wiki.unraid.net/UnRAID_6/Changing_The_Flash_Device#Legacy_method_-_Windows_and_MacOS), which took 2-3 repeated attempts before I finally ran the "make_bootable.bat" file correclty; it didn't work from Admin command prompt, but it did work successfully when I right clicked and ran "as Administrator" directly from Explorer.

So, thankfully eventually the manual process worked and now boots without an issue . . . And, I'm super impressed with Unraid overall, but there is definitely a problem with the USB bootable installer for migrating/restoring, which would have been absolutely wonderful if it had worked.

• 2 weeks later...

Had a minor issue as well with the creator (Win32 1.6) getting stuck at the "syncing file system" stage on my 16GB Kingston DT Rubber 3.0 connected to an USB 2.0 port.

Closed the creator, opened up Disk Management, saw the drive named as UNRAID but with no letter so I added one, ran the creator again and this time it worked.

Go figure.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Dell Precision 5520 laptop, 32GB RAM, 2TB SSD drive, Xeon quad core. Not an old machine. Running Unraid USB Creator, trying to install on Sandisk Cruzer Fit 16GB. I formatted USB with "default allocation" and named it "UNRAID". Tried in both USB ports. Sits on "Syncing files..." forever. Why?...

EDIT...

Switched to a 10+ year old desktop PC and it worked.

Edited by Mark Deibert
Added resolution
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have exactly one windows 10 system, and it gets stuck syncing files. I've renamed, reformatted, tried the zip file, tried running under wine on my debian 10 system, nothing works...

I'm not much interested in spending more money trying to find that apparently unicorn-style ssd stick that "works".

I may UNRAID again if they manage to get their act together, but probably not...

36 minutes ago, jimmayhugh said:

I have exactly one windows 10 system, and it gets stuck syncing files. I've renamed, reformatted, tried the zip file, tried running under wine on my debian 10 system, nothing works...

I'm not much interested in spending more money trying to find that apparently unicorn-style ssd stick that "works".

I may UNRAID again if they manage to get their act together, but probably not...

Lots of people are running Unraid successfully. Do you need help?