Disable Mover

It seems really odd to me that the scheduler allows one to schedule parity checks, or disable doing them.
But doesn't allow one to _disable_ mover.  I use my cache drive to hold various things on it that I _never_ want "moved" onto the unraid array.

Currently the way I stop unraid from doing a mover function is to copy a script over top of the mover script that just has an exit 0 in it.

It would be much better to be able to disable this functionality if the user wishes. (And simple!)

3 minutes ago, kanth said:

It seems really odd to me that the scheduler allows one to schedule parity checks, or disable doing them.
But doesn't allow one to _disable_ mover.  I use my cache drive to hold various things on it that I _never_ want "moved" onto the unraid array.

Currently the way I stop unraid from doing a mover function is to copy a script over top of the mover script that just has an exit 0 in it.

It would be much better to be able to disable this functionality if the user wishes. (And simple!)

Easy. Create a Share and use the Use cache disk: Only

Files will be written to Cache only and the mover will not move them.

And, if the share (root folder) already is partially on the cache, and partially on the array, and you wish to keep the files where they are, setting cache to :No. That setting will also disable the mover from operating on that share, and new files written to the share will go to the array. You can always manually move files from array to cache using /mnt/diskX and /mnt/cache paths.

The description for cache modes is not intuitive, but pretty much any use case is covered.

Again, that seems really difficult compared to just adding "disabled" to the drop down menu. I mean what is cleaner than that?

Perhaps it is the way you like to think about it. For me putting in exit 0, seemed easy in the script.

Yes there are ways to work around it. But asking mover.sh not to run, period, doesn't seem to me like some trying/or difficult piece of code. if [ $OPTION = disabled ]; then exit 0;

*shrug*

and after that option is implemented, some user will accidentally disable it, copy over something important to a single cache disk where it will sit for a week, and then the disk will die losing their data and they will blame unRaid for their error...  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Much easier to just create a cache only share. If you created a folder that exists on the cache only without making it a user share, then you probably took the same if not more steps doing it that way to create it.

18 minutes ago, kanth said:

Again, that seems really difficult compared to just adding "disabled" to the drop down menu. I mean what is cleaner than that?

The Use cache setting for each user share is the builtin solution for your problem, and is much more flexible than a global "disable mover". You can disable mover for any specific user share simply by setting it to cache-only (new writes will go to cache) or cache-no (new writes will go to array). There is also cache-prefer, which will move from array to cache.

I can understand temporarily wanting to prevent mover, but that can be accomplished simply by changing its schedule so it doesn't run before you want. To permanently disable it for a user share, use the appropriate setting for the user share.

Right, back when they introduced cache drives, it was simply /mnt/cache. Mover got introduced afterwards (shortly).
Dockers could only run on the cache drive.
So most of my files are simply on /mnt/cache, not on a "share" that was made for them.

It's all good. I can either add a share and change all the pathing, or disable the script like I have done forever... and was previously the recommended solution.

Neither is a big deal.

Just now, kanth said:

Right, back when they introduced cache drives, it was simply /mnt/cache. Mover got introduced afterwards (shortly).
Dockers could only run on the cache drive.
So most of my files are simply on /mnt/cache, not on a "share" that was made for them.

It's all good. I can either add a share and change all the pathing, or disable the script like I have done forever... and was previously the recommended solution.

Neither is a big deal.

Any top level folder is automatically a share whether you create it via the GUI or not.    If the files are not in a folder then mover will leave them alone anyway.

• Upvote 1
  • 5 years later...

I know this is a few year old but I was also looking for this option so I could control the Mover from a user script which also shuts a docker down first on everyday but Sunday otherwise the files it creates won't move any anyway. Parity checks are also run this way with a user script.

Easier for me to have all the scheduling in on place (user script) rather than scattered around.