Cant Run Unraid Sandisk 32gb Ultra Fit

I left it in over night..and its not hot  slightly warm.  maybe because this housing is aluminum  and discapates the heat better?

least it comes with a 5 yr warrenty 

I new to this unraid stuff coming from  freenas    so its all learning experience..  and with freenas I installed it to a usb  and I had another on my 1tb 7200rpm laptop drive I had kicking around

USB 3.0 get very hot during writes, which might be part of the problem, or they are using poor quality flash, in any case I sell dozens of Kingston flash drives and if I was guessing I'd say for USB 2.0 models around 1 in 100 fail during the first 2 years, USB 3.0 fail models fail at around 1 in 10 during the same period.

oh ok  my sister just brought me a Kingston  DTSE9  small  fits on a keychain..  ill test it 24 hours and I can tell ya tomorrow  as my Acer H340 servers had no usb3   ill let you know tomorrow  sometime   if that 50  gets hot or not in the usb2 port

oh wow eh  I see the difference the fake one stamped more then the other.  

I wonder who makes it or is it like other companies   like a Sterling engine is actually Honda... honda sells the patent  or the molds  and other companies make the same engine just slap a different name on it  and that's why you can get honda engine parts on a sterling engine

or  Noma or Woods  same company they just change some things around  and sell different price

41 minutes ago, comet424 said:

oh wow eh  I see the difference the fake one stamped more then the other.  

I wonder who makes it or is it like other companies   like a Sterling engine is actually Honda... honda sells the patent  or the molds  and other companies make the same engine just slap a different name on it  and that's why you can get honda engine parts on a sterling engine

or  Noma or Woods  same company they just change some things around  and sell different price

No, fake is when someone makes pirated products. Sometimes good copies with similar functionality and sometimes dead products that just happens to look real.

But there are much OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) deals around the world. So real products made by reputable companies but the the manufacturer rebrands them in another company's name. In sometimes, a company want a product but realizes they don't have the time to design such a product - so they contact an established manufacturer and pays license fees to be able to sell the competitors product under their own name. Sometimes, a store chain don't want price competition. So they invent their own private brand name and pay some manufacturer to rebrand products as this name. So real products but under a unique name that you can't compare on Pricerunner.

There is a huge market for faked flash memory - USB thumb drives, memory cards etc. They have often very low-quality flash memory chips. And sometimes, the memory cards may be preformatted to lie and claim to have a large storage size but when a program tries to write, the program will fail to address the upper range. This means a scammer may sell lots of memory on eBay or similar before the first buyers notices that the size isn't correct - most buyers just check the size the file system reports and then try to write some small files.

On 7/9/2018 at 10:47 AM, Zonediver said:

I hope the Devs will correct this soon.... not funny to search for a 8-16GB stick...

There are ways to format a 64+ GB stick as FAT32.  Google is your friend there.  But, unRaid's Boot Stick Creator program (or whatever it's called on the download page) will support and setup any size stick.

21 minutes ago, Squid said:

There are ways to format a 64+ GB stick as FAT32.  Google is your friend there.  But, unRaid's Boot Stick Creator program (or whatever it's called on the download page) will support and setup any size stick.

Thanks for this Info Squid - so that means, "every" Stick will work? Also with more then 64GB?

But this tread tell something different...

> than 32Gig.  Technically yes if its formatted as FAT32.  You cannot do this out of the box in Windows without googling.  USB creator tool is supposed to do this.

4 minutes ago, Zonediver said:

"every" Stick will work?

In theory, yes.  In my experience, yes.  In other's experience, no.

I've never had a stick that didn't work.  But I also don't buy the cheapest sticks I can find.  I'm a fan of the Kingston SE9's for a couple of reasons.  They are the only stick I've ever seen that is actually indestructible, and they have that huge hole for your key chain.

But, I've also used AData sticks with no problems.  (And am currently using a USB3 Adata on one of my servers).  But I won't use them as a day-to-day stick as I found that the header can very easily bend and break the contacts within.  SE9's are by design immune to that.

My personal belief, and it could be wrong is that USB2 drives are more reliable than USB3 drives.  Problem with USB sticks is that they are an inherently high volume, very low profit manufacturing endeavor.  The only way for a manufacturer to actually make money on them is to sell a ton of them (hard to do since there's so much competition), or to sacrifice quality.  If a manufacturer can save a 1/10 of a penny on manufacturing, then that will add up to significant money on the manufacturing run.  I believe that USB2 because its an older, more mature technology is more stable as a whole, simply because all of the crap firmware and controllers have already disappeared from the market.  And the same thing goes for the USB controllers on motherboards.  If you're going to use a USB3 controller, make sure that the controller is contained on either the CPU itself or the Chipset.  My opinion is that utilizing something like the AsMedia controller that is added on to many boards for extra USB3 ports will be less reliable than the chipset / cpu  (I'm more inclined to trust Intel/AMD to produce a quality controller than AsMedia.)

And it'll probably be a big mistake to ever use a Novelty USB drive (although I did buy one of these, but not for unRaid https://www.etsy.com/ca/listing/278823704/4gb8gb16gb-usb-mixtape-retro?ref=listing-shop-header-1)

People like the Sandisks because they are super small.  Positive and negative to that IMO.  Positive, when permanently attached (as they are in unRaid) the odds of damaging the stick are miniscule when moving the server.  When not attached permanently, you'll probably lose the stick in 5 minutes and be forced to buy another one (something I'm sure Sandisk likes about it)

All of my sticks are mounted internally in the computer on stupid cheapo adapters for the extra headers everyone has.  https://www.ebay.com/p/9pin-Motherboard-to-Double-Layer-2-Ports-Usb2-0-a-Female-Internal-Header-Adapter/1078043135?iid=302517800375

Maybe I'm just lucky with all of my hardware choices for unRaid as a whole.  I've never had any problem with anything every.  The only time I've ever had to replace a USB key was when I played around with S3 Sleep, and the motherboard for some reason decided to blow up the stick with no rescue possible.  Fine, I replaced the key.  Same thing happened again next time the server went to sleep.  Admittedly I was just too embarrassed to ask Tom for another replacement key, so I went out and bought another Pro key instead.

I am using a Cable from internal USB2.0 to a Slot breakout - i removed the metal plate from the double USB connector and thats it.

The stick and the cable are inside the case.

I dont like this stiff 2x USB to mainboard-adapters because they can break and kill the board too.

Edited by Zonediver