LAST CALL on the Unraid Summer Sale! 😎 ⌛ ×

6.5.3 Read Error

clevoir

I woke this morning to find an email stating that Disk 1 had a read error.

Quick and Extended SMART tests were carried out, which finished without error.

Hoping that the drive was OK, I planned to stop the array, unassign the disk, stop the array, reassign the disk & let it rebuild.

However after stopping the array, unRaid indicated that an unclear shutdown had been detected and that a parity check was required?

I decided to reboot the array to let the parity check occur, however it started up without running a parity check and no errors are now shown for the drive on the main page???

I attach a copy of the SMART report

On reboot I have just recieved an email to state unRAID Status: Notice [] - array turned good

WDC_WD30EFRX-68EUZN0_WD-WMC4N0F2429A-20180827-1129.txt

1.jpg

2.jpg

Go to Tools   >>>  Diagnostics, click on it and then upload the Diagnostics file in a new post.  I realize that you have rebooted and there won't be a clue as to what happened to cause the initial problem.   Hopefully, someone will be able to spot sometime that might give a clue as to what is going on.  

OH, one more thing was there a big red  X  in front of the Disk 1 on the Main GUI screen?  

A read error is non-destructive and simply means a glitch happened while reading. Content of your array didn't change, and stopping/starting the array resolved the issue.

unRAID itself does not notify about an unclean shutdown, you probably have one of the CA plugins installed, reporting about it.

Happend to me also last week.

I run 1-2 Extended SMART Checks on the drive and these came back clean. After rechecking my Disk got no essential SMART Error Value it got a 2nd chance from me.

For now (1 week and ongoing with write and read access) it works without any additional error appearing.

as bonienl said it was a non-destructive error and simple indicated a "hick-up". 

Best Regards
Stroker

Archived