Don't expose Unraid to the Internet! But ...

sse450

I am trying to use an automated rsync script to backup one Unraid server to another at a different location. For this, I need to forward port 22 on the router of destination Unraid. Due to inherent security risks, all the advises about not to expose Unraid to the Internet in this forum are well noted. So, I am trying to find a solution to circumvent this problem.

As far as I can see, I have two options:

1. Use OpenVPN connection between two Unraid server. I installed OpenVPN-AS on the destination server. But, I have yet to find a method to install OpenVPN client on the source Unraid. The plugin (2018.04.26) from @peter_sm is not working on 6.6.2. Do I have any other option to install OpenVPN client? What about dockers for OpenVPN client? I have no idea how to use a VPN client docker to connect the host Unraid machine to the VPN server?

2. What about port forwarding ssh but connect only with keys and disabling password login? Does this pose any security issue too?

Are there any other option? I see that many other users in this forum use rsync. How do they implement this connection?

Please advise. Thanks.

17 hours ago, sse450 said:

I am trying to use an automated rsync script to backup one Unraid server to another at a different location. For this, I need to forward port 22 on the router of destination Unraid. Due to inherent security risks, all the advises about not to expose Unraid to the Internet in this forum are well noted. So, I am trying to find a solution to circumvent this problem.

As far as I can see, I have two options:

1. Use OpenVPN connection between two Unraid server. I installed OpenVPN-AS on the destination server. But, I have yet to find a method to install OpenVPN client on the source Unraid. The plugin (2018.04.26) from @peter_sm is not working on 6.6.2. Do I have any other option to install OpenVPN client? What about dockers for OpenVPN client? I have no idea how to use a VPN client docker to connect the host Unraid machine to the VPN server?

2. What about port forwarding ssh but connect only with keys and disabling password login? Does this pose any security issue too?

Are there any other option? I see that many other users in this forum use rsync. How do they implement this connection?

Please advise. Thanks.

My Client plugin works fine here

982067963_2018-10-2006_14_56-Tower_openvpnclient.png.82dd3d9fd4a834251b174d15c2df0122.png